Parenting
Options

Runners, I have a question.

On Thursday after my run my left shin (or muscle around the shin) started to get sore. Went out Friday and I could barely make it through. Today it's tender. Did I injure myself or is this just par for the course. I am a beginner if that helps. I took today off but really want to get a run in tomorrow, but scared I'll hurt myself.

Re: Runners, I have a question.

• Options
    Ahh, that makes sense.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks, guys.
  • Options
    Agree with shin splints. You may be doing too much, too soon. Also, are you wearing proper running shoes with enough cushioning, without too much wear and tear on them? Finally, it's better to run along the side of the road than on the sidewalk, as the asphalt is softer than the concrete.

• Options
    vandelay said:
    Agree with shin splints. You may be doing too much, too soon. Also, are you wearing proper running shoes with enough cushioning, without too much wear and tear on them? Finally, it's better to run along the side of the road than on the sidewalk, as the asphalt is softer than the concrete.
    I do have running shoes. I have the sketchers memory foam ones. I know there're not the best but they'll do for now. I run with a jogger so I prefer to run on the sidewalk but I'm going to try the street
  • Options
    Sounds like shin splints - however, if the pain never alleviates over the course of your run, they are pretty bad. As a warning, I've had two sets turn into stress fractures. The last one took me out of any exercise for 6 months. It happened because after it was apparent they developed (from too much too soon and old sneaks) I didn't rest.

Like everyone else said - rest, ice, elevation...possibly compression.....but above all rest. Bike for a week maybe, then do a light short jog and see where you are?

Also, if you are a serious heel striker you might consider making gradual changes to your strike - go more midfoot. I now do all things regarding running very gradually...like, I tack on mileage slowly, I changed my strike pattern slowly, by tacking 5 minute units of running striking mid and fore foot after spinning or some other exercise. I also found that stretching hams and calfs well really helped - and fresh sneakers. After losing a half year of any exercise, and struggling to walk for almost three months, I ditch those sneaks the second they show sole wear. 

But for now - rest, ice, compression, elevation for a few days. That's my advice. Best wishes.
  • Options
    I have the same pain in my knees and feet after runs. Any ideas as to why? TIA!

Harry Styles = Life Ruiner

There’s a lightning in your eyes I can't deny
    Then there’s me inside a sinking boat running out of time
    Without you I'll never make it out alive
    But I know, yes, I know we’ll be alright
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    J. 1.14.13 my reason for breathing 
  • Options
    karichkarich member

I was going to start a new thread but I'll hijack.

After running 2 days ago both of my knees started hurting really bad. It's a dull ache that turns into a sharp pain if I move the bottom half of my leg a certain way. It mainly hurts underneath and on the sides of my knees. I can't stand for too long, and walking up and down stairs is a bitch.

Any ideas what it could be? Obviously I haven't done any exercising since. Just trying to ice and rest them...hasn't improved much though.

This happened to me, randomly, after running for weeks. I went to a running store and had them analyze my stride. I bought the sneakers they recommended and *poof*. The pain was gone pretty quickly. Turns out my ankles turn in, and I needed extra arch support.

I'd recommend spending the extra $$ for good sneakers, if you haven't already. Good luck!
  • Options
    I was going to start a new thread but I'll hijack. After running 2 days ago both of my knees started hurting really bad. It's a dull ache that turns into a sharp pain if I move the bottom half of my leg a certain way. It mainly hurts underneath and on the sides of my knees. I can't stand for too long, and walking up and down stairs is a bitch. Any ideas what it could be? Obviously I haven't done any exercising since. Just trying to ice and rest them...hasn't improved much though.
    How long has it been since you got new shoes and were you fitted for them at a running store? I used to get a lot of knee pain. It was before I was fitted properly for shoes. I was wearing really cushy shoes (Nikes) and that can actually be bad for your joints because they're not stable enough for you when your foot strikes.
  • Options

@ShakeyJakey‌ where in your feet? What shoes are you wearing and on what surface ?

@ShakeyJakey‌ where in your feet? What shoes are you wearing and on what surface ?

Arches, nike revolution and on the treadmill and elliptical. I probably wear them more than I should. I'm looking at getting a harder sole shoe with high arch support.

• Options
    Always get fitted for running shoes; that can often alleviate pain. I also had knee issues, and was told (by a professional) that strengthening my quad muscles would help, and it did.

This. Also, if your knees hurt when you run you might try "softening" your landing - a lot of people unconsciously press down too hard when they land and create more impact than they need to.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    @karich‌ @SandyClam‌ I think the shoes I've been wearing are some Nike shoes that were on sale for $45...so I do plan to go get fitted at a running store soon! I also ran on the sidewalk which I now realize is a no-no. But is it normal for my knees to still be hurting? Do I just wait until they feel 100% to get fitted for shoes and to run again?
    Where the hell else are you supposed to run? Not everyone has access to a track.

I run on the sidewalk all the time. Most of my 6 mile run yesterday was on a sidewalk. You should go get fitted ASAP. Good running shoes will set you back at least $100 but they're worth it. MH was having really bad knee problems and it stopped after getting appropriate shoes.
  • Options
    Really stiff sole shoes (like cross trainers) and heavily padded shoes can lead to injury. The shoes matter. Running is a super cheap sport compared to just about any other sort of exercise, but shoes that are inflexible, over padded, old or just don't fit you well can lead to really serious injury. 

As a heads up, some of the companies that make really, really good runners have developed less expensive models that might work for you if you don't want to make a $150 investment right off the bat. Saucony has a line that retails for between $50 and $80, depending on where you buy. Actually, zulilly just had a huge Saucony sale where these specific shoes went for about $40. If you have narrow heel but a wide forefoot, I'd recommend the women's line of Saucony shoes for sure. Asics is another company that has a lower cost line, I believe. 

If you go the route of new shoes, I'd recommend searching out a running store and just trying a few of them on. Don't feel like you have to buy. Shoes cost a lot of money - but trying them on might help you narrow down a brand you think might work for you and then you could watch for sales while you recover. I recommend a running store just because you won't get uphold on a pair of cross trainers or aerobic shoes by someone who is more into tennis, say, than running. Most running stores are staffed by people that at least recreationally run on occasion. They've tried a lot of the brands, know a lot of other runners and if there is one thing that runners talk about, it's their shoes. You could totally capitalize on the chat between other runners and find something that suits your budget and your foot. 

Anyway, that's my advice. You could also check out the mag runner's world online and see if they have any  options that fit your budget.  

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. 
  • Options
    JBMomJBMom member
    Lurker popping in :-) I used to run track in high school and one of assistant coaches suggested the following when I had shin splints - when relaxing or sitting at a desk, pull your toes upwards so that the shin muscles work and become stronger. Apparently the issue is the calf muscles becoming stronger, faster than the shin muscles.

Well, that's what I was told years ago. And I fully agree on getting fitted for shoes.
  • Options
    Though it's basically already been said, what I like to do is go to a running store and get fitted... then buy the same pair off amazon (I know, I'm a douch. But mom has a budget, yo). The runner stores know their ish but the mark up is way high. 
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    When I got fitted for shoes, they actually gave me a discount so it ended up being cheaper than I would have paid online. A lot of stores have rewards that you get for shopping there too. I think that the service they provide is worth the extra money too.
  • Options
    Can I get fitted at finish line or should I go to a specialty store? We have a place called the good feet store but it's kinda far

• Options
    I tried to run this morning and sure enough I could barely get through. I'll just rest it for a couple of days. I have it elevated right now. I'm definitely landing hard on my feet and I'm trying to keep good form but I can't figure out how. @PrivacyWanted‌, I'm trying to let the stroller just glide from me as I push but I noticed I'm pushing down on it pretty hard while running.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"