Natural Birth

Care to share your birth story?

Hi everyone, today is my due date (yay!) but no signs of baby coming yet.. I know that doesn't mean much since he could still come any time. But, I LOVE reading birth stories and since I am planning a natural home birth I would love to hear other people's experiences with natural birth as well! I find them so beautiful and encouraging. It doesn't have to be a home birth but if you want to share your experience I would love to hear it!

Thanks!

Re: Care to share your birth story?

• I've had 2 homebirths and a 3rd planned for August.

My first started when I was laying in bed watching a movie, at 10pm I felt a pop and gush and knew that my water had broken.  I got my first contraction about an hour later and things steadily picked up from there.  I remember having my eyes closed the whole time and it was very peaceful, I had planned a water birth but never left my bedroom as I was comfortable in there.  My son was born at 4:45am after about 1.5 hours of pushing (which was only about 3 pushes as my contractions spaced way out during the pushing stage).  I had a bit of a hemmorage but the midwives were able to get my bleeding to stop and I didn't need to transfer to the hospital.

My second started with vomit and diarrhea at 4:30am and my refusal to believe that I was in true labour.  I took a bath with clary sage oil around 9am and contractions started to pick up.  I called my doula, photographer, mom and husband to come be with me.  The midwives came too as we thought this labour would be faster but I think it was slower as I had become a doula after my first and was too "inside my own head" about the process.  We walked around my neighbourhood with every car stopping to see if I needed an ambulance during contractions.  Again, I had planned a water birth but was very comfortable in my bedroom so that didn't happen.  This birth turned out to be more of a party as my sister, brother's girlfriend, mother-in-law all came over later in the day, my birth photographer was also live Tweeting it for me.  My labour was a bit slower so I took some homeopathics to speed things up and let the midwife break my water.  After 5 minutes of pushing my second son was born at 3:45pm.

I am again planning a water birth this time around but given my track record of not ending up wanting to leave my bedroom we will see how it goes.  For me I don't find labour to be painful, I just find it to be somewhat uncomfortable at times but so rewarding.

Doula, Placenta Encapsulator, Childbirth/Lactation Educator

Corin Andrew Dec 24/09

Ronan Edward Jul 9/12

Baby #3 EDD Aug 6/14

• Thank you for sharing!

• Loading the player...
  • Brit83Brit83 member
    We had out son at home.  I woke up to my water breaking around 4:00 am and then had mild contractions steadily following.  We began tracking them and around 11:00 am they stopped completely.  Following our midwife's suggestions, we attempted some natural methods to get things moving again (lots of walks, castor oil, etc) but nothing happened.  Our midwife called again at 9:00 pm and said she would meet us at our home the next morning to do a quick check and then we would head to the hospital for induction.  Thankfully, around 3:45 am contractions began again.  My husband called the midwife again and she said she would be by in about an hour.  Within a few minutes contractions went from moderate to very strong (focusing through them, unable to talk and very steady).  I told him to call her back and she needed to show up now.  She was by about 20 minutes later, checked me and we found out I was already an 8.  I hopped in the birth tub and labored on my knees for a while and then hopped out and crawled into bed (I don't know why, just wanted to be there).  I labored in bed death gripping my husbands hands through contractions.  I started pushing in our bed but after some time baby's heart rate started dropping so it was suggested I hop back in the tub.  I remember the contractions getting so strong and unbearable at that point and asked my midwife how much worse this was going to get.  She said very matter of factly that this was pretty much the worst of it.  I knew I'd lived thus far and I could keep going if this was in fact the worst (and it was, she wasn't just placating me).  I began pushing again in the tub and about 30 minutes later my son was born.  It was 8:23 am (so a little over 3.5 hours of hard labor and pushing).  I didn't cry, just held my son and thought "Wow he looks just like me" it was the weirdest, most incredible feeling.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"