Cincinnati Babies

Delivery at UC Hospital?

Due to previous health issues I was advise to deliver at the UC Hospital (my hematologist is there). I'm 22 weeks already, and wondering whether anyone can share their experience about delivering there. I am new to Cincy and all mothers I know have delivered at Bethesda North or Good Sam. I toured the Good Sam facilities and they are way nicer than the UC Hospital, however I am interested in learning about about UC nurses bed side manners, experience with natural births, expertise and safety during delivery. I know both hospitals have NICU Level III units.
Thanks for any insights!

Re: Delivery at UC Hospital?

• I don't know anything about delivering at UC, but there used to be a few of their L&D nurses on the board.

In terms of the natural delivery issue, it's more about the nurse that you get than it is about the hospital, itself. Just make sure that when you get there you tell them that you're hoping for a natural birth and ask to be assigned a nurse who has experience with that. I had a planned epi with my son and a pain-med-free induction with my daughter, and the nurse can make you or break you.
    Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • I would truly consider Good Sam in Clifton. It's right down the street from UH (University Hospital) which is more than likely where your hematologist is located. Good Sam has better birth stats compared to UH.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi Sammyb381,
    Thanks for replying. What kind of stats are you talking about? Is there any literature I could access online? Thanks again!

• I work at UC and love our L&D, NICU, Mother/Baby services that we offer. I am delivering there in Oct and I couldn't be happier with the care I have received. I know many nurses in all the departments. UC is a patient/family centered care approach. They believe in skin to skin contact directly after birth and will assess the babies while you are holding them. They don't take them away to be assessed after birth. I work in the surgical ICU and all of our pregnant nurses have delivered at UC and have had nothing but wonderful things to say about the staff and departments. Best of luck to you! 
  • I delivered our daughter at University Hospital in December 2010 and had a fantastic experience.  I had our son at Christ last summer and the birth/after-care experiences were comparable.  The main difference was when I arrived at UC in labor, they were much more nonchalant about the fact that I was in active labor.  UC was also much more willing to take the baby to the nursery than Christ was.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"