Natural Birth

Natural Birth WITHOUT a doula

Is it possible?

The closer I get to my due date the more I get nervous about attempting a natural birth (no epidural) without the support of a doula. My husband and I have taken a natural birth class together and a skills workshop but it seems like almost every article recommends having a doula to accomplish this goal. 

Has anyone had a NB without the support of a doula?

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Natural Birth WITHOUT a doula

• I did twice, so definitely possible. I also had the benefit of being in a hospital that is very pro-natural childbirth so much so that they don't even do saline locks routinely. Had I not been at this hospital I would have at least considered one.

If money is a factor you could always look into finding a student doula.
  • Normally a lurker, but wanted to comment.

This is exactly what I'll be doing. I'll be 39wks on Friday, and what I made sure to do is be very exact on my wishes with my OB. Then again, I think I'm really lucky that she's had one or two births (at least) that have used the Hypnobabies course and loved it. She actually was able to convince my DH that it was worth the money and actually worked.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
                image image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Do you have anyone who has given birth before who could be there with you? How supportive is your doctor/hospital? Its all about having people around you who believe in you, and you believing in yourself. Its definitely possible as long as the environment is generally supportive. Stay home as long as you possibly can, that will help (you should be thinking "i am not sure i can do this" by the time you get to the hospital). Just believe in yourself and know that you can do it!!
  • We did. My OB and CNM were the ones that suggested Bradley classes when we told them we were going natural. That is what they both used with their kids. So I was in a very pro-natural birth environment. My husband was as prepared as he could be, we had a birth plan that my team and the nurses were all on board with. We were not concerned at all going into it. We moved and are now having to find a new practice so we went with midwives and a birthing center this time so we don't have to interview a bunch of OBs to find one as great as our last one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • It's absolutely possible!  Having a doula isn't a guarantee that you'll have a natural birth anyway, it just increases your chances.

My first birth was a natural homebirth without a doula and before I took any training to become a doula myself.  Know what you want, politely decline anything offered to you that's not within your plan and rock this birth!

Doula, Placenta Encapsulator, Childbirth/Lactation Educator

Corin Andrew Dec 24/09

Ronan Edward Jul 9/12

Baby #3 EDD Aug 6/14

• I had doulas at my first two deliveries and honestly, while they were nice to have, I don't feel like they changed the progress or outcome of either delivery at all. I still had an epidural and a cesarean with my first in spite of the doula. And my med-free VBAC would have happened with or without my doula too. So this time we decided to save the money and skip having a doula. I have a supportive doctor with a great reputation, and my hospital is generally supportive too, so I think we'll be ok.

So far I do miss the perks of having a doula (someone to call with questions, touch base with after appointments, etc.) but I don't think they are essential for a positive healthy delivery either.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • mb314mb314 member
    I didn't have a doula, and I had a great natural birth experience in a hospital.  I think it helped that I gave birth with a midwife, in a hospital that is supportive of natural birth.  An epidural wasn't pushed on us at all, and the nurses were helpful with suggestions regarding positions, breathing, pain management.  Also, my labor was less than 12 hours, so DH didn't need a break. 

I was happy to have it just be primarily DH and me during labor (the nurses were there obviously, but they weren't overbearing). 

I think the big question is how supportive is your hospital and OB/MW?  If you have concerns that they won't be supportive, then maybe a doula is more useful.  But I found that I didn't need one.

FWIW, I would be happy not to have a doula this time around, but I may hire one only because DH is going out of town when I'm 38w, 2 - 4 days, and I want someone on call to be there for me in case I go into labor when he's out of town.  Also, I'm afraid my 2nd labor will progress quickly, and we don't have family in town, so I may need someone around if DH has to go drop off DS at a friend's house or something like that. 

• yes, it's absolutely possible. it's great that you and your DH have taken a class, so he will be well informed. i had a natural hospital birth without a doula- just DH. we had done hypnobirthing. just make sure you have a birth plan and have discussed with your DH in advance what you want/don't want so he can advocate for you.
  • I didn't have a doula for our HB and I won't have one again for this one. My biggest supporter was DH and I don't think I would want to have anyone else but him because I know he knows my wants and he really calms me down in other circumstances. He was amazing during transition which was the hardest.
    Mommy to Emery Vera 5.20.12  Blog
  • QOTRQOTR member
    We had a doula and I loved her, but there were several couples in our Bradley class that experienced natural childbirth w/out a doula's support. Best of luck to you!
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • I didn't have a doula either but like a couple of pps was in the care of midwives and at a hospital that is very supportive of med free/minimal intervention births. The midwives outnumber the OBs there and I think pretty much are the leaders in terms of guiding the other nurses and most standard procedures. DH and I read stuff but did not take any classes and even that was OK (my labor ended up being pretty weird so I don't think classes or things like the strategies people learn in hypnobirthing would have helped more anyway). I wasn't sure DH was prepared enough or how he would be as a support but didn't think with his personality that a doula would help him participate more. I was pretty confident that the midwives and nurses would give good guidance and that was true. Really though my body provided the most guidance except for the very end when the midwife said what position she felt would work best to let the baby get the rest of the way out. Before that I did what felt right and told DH what to do based on that and it worked well.

I don't mean any of that to be against doulas! I think what they do is valuable. But at some places like where I delivered the staff there already does things in a way that make it OK not to have one. If I were somewhere else and married to someone who would be more receptive to having an extra person involved I might want one. But it's definitely *possible * to have an unmedicated birth without one.
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
  • I keep going back and forth about the doula thing, mainly bc we are barely able to pay OOP for the birth center, and adding a doula on top of that is a big decision, especially if it's not absolutely necessary. I think back to my good friend who had such a quick labor that they barely made it to their birth center. She literally walked in, leaned against the bed and baby came with 3 pushes. In a case like that, the doula wouldn't even be necessary and all that money gone. I know I've heard everyone say a doula was the best choice, but I also have friends who like to labor alone and never had one and were just fine. My midwife is newly certified but had been a doula for several years. I know her main role will be midwife, but it makes me feel good that she's also an awesome doula and if there was anything I absolutely needed, she would probably assist.
    imageimage
  • I think pp brings up a good point about sort of knowing how you are and trying to imagine what you might need.  I was one of those woman who just kind of wants to be left alone.  With my second I labored by myself in our bedroom until I told DH I was ready to go to the hospital and when we arrived I was fully dilated.  I've had a few people say things like, "that's so sad" not for me though, I just wanted dark and quiet.  
  • In the same boat as you. Hospital, no doula, hoping for med-free birth. And our hospital/my OB is not even SUPER duper natural birth-friendly. But on our hospital tour two nights ago I asked lots of questions and got the feeling that they are open/receptive to it. So I will be winging it!
    Southern California
    Together for six years, married for five
    BFP 12/06/13 - EDD 8/11/14 
    BABY BOY born 8/14/14!

• It is def possible!  I had my second natural in a hospital without a doula, just me and DH.  My doctor was on board though and without her confidence I'm not sure we would have done it.  My experience was okay, got the natural birth but didn't feel like I really handled it well, just got through it.

With my 3rd we enlisted the support of my friend who had given natural birth before.  She came with us and played music, kept the lights low, ran and got stuff for DH, helped him support me.  I have to say it was a much better experience and I think having the "peer pressure" there helped me stay calm and power through. 

If you cannot afford a doula I would try to see if you have a supportive and knowledgeable friend who would come along and help.  If not, just make a detailed birth plan, do NOT be afraid to stick to it within reason.  Be very clear you only want med-free supportive nurses helping you. (you can request a different nurse if you don't like who walks in).  Stay vertical as long as possible, it will make your labor go faster, giving you a better chance.  Put on music, diffuse essential oils, etc.. 

Immerse yourself in natural birth stories/videos etc... so it seems so normal to you and DH.  You can do it!!

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you so much for taking the time to share your opinions, advice and stories. I think you ladies made a lot of good points and not only gave me some things to think about but a lot of confidence that I can do it!

My OBGYN and hospital I am delivering at have a reputation for being pretty natural birth friendly so I think that will be helpful.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • With my first I had a doula, but my labor went so fast that she didn't get there until it was almost over. I decided I didn't need one for babies #2 and 3. My DH was a good labor partner, and my hospital was med-free friendly.
  • I had originally wanted a doula, and luckily I had an old friend who worked with doulas in the area. We met with one who was perfect, but she was going to be away during the weeks around my due date so she got us in touch with another doula who was NUTS. Pretty much after that we were like, we can totally do this without a doula. I saw a few different midwives at my OB so I was comfortable with them doing my bidding, and they were all for a natural birth, plus my boyfriend was brilliantly supportive and a great advocate for my well being.
  • I wanted as few people involved in my birthing as possible, so a doula wouldn't have been good for me. I've now had two naturally without a doula. If you're pretty private and want this to be a more intimate experience you share with your DH, then I don't think a doula is the way to go. If you are more likely to soldier on with an extra support person helping to buck you up, then a doula would be the way to go.
  • I had two natural births with no doula and having taken no classes (aside from the one the hospital offers).

I'm not sure what you consider natural, though. I was induced with my second, because the little bugger didn't want to come out. ;)

But even with the induction I was able to deliver med-free.

Totally possible, and doulas are not really needed for some. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monster Truck (It's a GIRL!) is due 19/02/2015!

BabyFetus Ticker

• If you have a faster birth and your DH is a good advocate with a lot of stamina then you may not need a doula.  If you are a very introverted/private birther who does not like anyone around you then you may not need a doula.

If you have a long labor - you need a doula b/c your DH will get VERY tired.  It's hard work being a birth coach for 12-48 hours straight, he'll need breaks to nap/eat/rest.  With a doula they can tag-team this so you always have someone fresh and ready to help - especially if you need a lot of physical hands-on support like hip squeezes, back counterpressures, etc... - your DH and doula will both be exhausted and sore by the end!
  • My DH put his foot down about not wanting to hire a doula, and he's extremely laid back and very rarely puts his foot down about anything. So, I figured if it means that much to him, I should let it go. He said he would take the classes with me and do what he needed to do, but he wanted to be the support person. So, I will be attempting a med-free birth without a doula.
  • If you don't hire a doula, and request an epidural (as I did), will you later regret it and wonder what it could have been like with a doula (as I did)?
  • I think it's a misnomer for husband to assume doula takes the place. :( I wish he'd come around.

My DH put his foot down about not wanting to hire a doula, and he's extremely laid back and very rarely puts his foot down about anything. So, I figured if it means that much to him, I should let it go. He said he would take the classes with me and do what he needed to do, but he wanted to be the support person. So, I will be attempting a med-free birth without a doula.

• Giving birth without a doula is kind of like cutting your own hair - definitely possible, but not as nice as going to the salon.

I think its funny that some people mentioned having more of an intimate experience with DH, when in most hospitals you will have nurses (strangers) and doctors (possibly strangers) intruding on you constantly. Its definitely not a very intimate or private situation unless you stay home for the majority of your labor.
  • I would echo a pp and say that staying at home as long as possible will help you do it without a doula. I've had two med free births that way - if you aren't there (hospital/ BC) yet, you don't have to worry about succumbing to interventions. Good luck!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I did it, and I'm getting ready to do it for the second time!  You have to be completely confident in your husband, and plan a little more.  My husband and I were attached to each other the whole time.  He literally was my shoulder to lean on, a real trooper!  He told me calming stories the whole time of great things we had done, or things we would like to do.  I am planning on making some cards with scriptures and sayings that he can read this time (I think you can find something like that on pintrest).  I really think having him as a main coach really helped him feel like he was a real part of the experience!  He talks about it all the time!
  • I did it! It is definitely possible! I honestly didn't even plan all that much...my nurse was amazing so I lucked out! If this is what you want to do it, you CAN...with or without a doula :) You got this!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"