Natural Birth

Second birth I really don't want epidural

First birth I was scared and just begged for epidural. This time I want to go without. We hired a doula, I take yoga, starting hypnobabies home study soon... I'm hoping labor quicker so no option for pain relief via medication. Anyway, any other tips for how to just avoid that option? Hospital never pushed it on me, FYI

Re: Second birth I really don't want epidural

• mb314mb314 member
    It sounds like you are taking great steps to prepare yourself for an epi-free birth.  I really liked reading birth stories, like those in Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth, and birth stories on this board and others.  It helped me get a broad perspective of what can happen in labor and how others have dealt with situations. 

Does your hospital have a labor tub option?  The tub was amazing during my labor for natural pain relief.  I honestly never asked for an epi because I knew that if I did I would have to leave the tub, and I didn't want to leave the tub for anything.  If a tub's not available, laboring in the shower could be an alternative.  I labored in the shower at home for pain relief and that was helpful too.  Also, keeping moving/walking during labor can help the labor move along more quickly.  Your doula should have good suggestions during labor for positions and movement and other ways to help move labor along and help with natural pain relief.

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thank you! I just bought Ina's book! Good idea. It's funny because last birth I labored at home in bath and shower until 5cm, from 9:30am to 4:45pm. As soon as I got to the hospital, I sort of freaked out (thus doula hopefully will help me feel more secure), and she was born at 9:30pm. So, about 4.5 hours to go and maybe 2 hours with an epidural. I remember being unable to calm down between contractions and just dreading it. Epidural wasn't bad, made me relax to enjoy her birth, but I forgot the catheter and movement prohibited so much. I didn't like feeling like a patient,.... But can't do home birth. Anyway, I'll keep checking back as we aren't due until the fall. :) I need to keep up with this board and stories
  • Loading the player...
  • You're already doing a lot of what I did for my first.  I was very set against an epi.  The people around you during birth will make a lot of difference on how you feel.  I would suggest investigating all your options for birth location and trying to find the one with the most experience supporting women who labor without epis.  I ended up finding a midwife practice that fit our needs best.  Also, when you get to your delivery location ask the people who are attending you how many non epi births they've personally attended...and if you don't feel supported have your SO chat with the person in charge to see if there is someone with more experience that could be assigned to help you.  It's better for everyone if you get people who are in line with what you are looking for.

• Just having the mindset that you don't want one can do wonders!

Is a home birth an option for you? No opportunity for one there!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Patrick: born at home on January 14, 2014

• Oh I just saw you said you can't do home birth. Definitely keep reading those positive birth stories!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic     Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Patrick: born at home on January 14, 2014

• Yeah. I like the idea of a home birth, but in reality I can't commit to that thought. Husband won't support it, and I'm also afraid of complications. I do think home birth smartest choice, but just can't do it. Good idea. Thank you.
  • I wish I could do homebirth, but my care is covered by the VA and it's not allowed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"