Babies: 0 - 3 Months

nap/sleep questions for FTM

I feel like we have somewhat of a "schedule" with my 5 week old. He takes one, long (2-3 hr) nap during the day in his crib, swaddled. I live for this nap! :) Other times, he just cat naps.. carseat if we're out, on me, swing, etc. Usually only 45-1 hour at a time. He then goes down for bed between 8-9pm. His longest stretch is is usually at this time... 3-4 hours (5 one time!!). Then, he's up every 2-3 hrs. I feel like my nights are pretty good considering he's so young.

I guess my main question is--- does this seem like a good sleep schedule? I question it b/c my MIL thought his long nap during the day was too long. Should he sleep less, more? What are your LO's sleep patterns like? Just wondering.. I know every baby is different. FYI, he's EBF and has gained 3.5lbs since birth.

Thanks!

Re: nap/sleep questions for FTM

• I feel that if it works for you, then its fine! You make sure the schedule is something you can work with, and remember it will probably change as he gets older. I'm a FTM and haven't gotten my twins in a schedule yet (theyre a week old) but i CANT WAIT until i do, regardless of the lengths of time they are sleeping. I say your MIL needs to back off a bit and let you be mommy how you are going to be mommy. :)
  • It's sounds like my baby! He's 10 weeks old. I've always been told babies sleep a lot. And the better they sleep during the day, the better at night. I'm not sure on recommendations on how much sleep they need, but if he's growing and seems content, then I'd say he's fine.
  • Loading the player...
  • I think that is great too! I am a FTM and I realized that one of the biggest mistakes I was making was not letting my baby sleep more throughout the day. He would get so cranky because I kept him up during the day that we always had horrible evenings. Finally I just got over it and decided to let him sleep when he wants to, but I usually wake him up if he sleeps for longer than 2.5 hours. 
  • That sounds fine. If baby is happy and you are too then go with it. There is nothing wrong with your baby taking a long nap during the day. I would wake my LO up if she ever napped longer than three hours during the day though, which only happened a couple of times.

• flclflcl member
    Your baby sounds like he's sleeping great!  I would love it if my LO took a long nap like that!  I've got a cat-napper (up to 45 mins).  It's very common for babies to sleep their longest stretch at night.  My guy did the same thing for the first 2-ish months.  Like PPs have mentioned, wake him if it's longer than 3 hours.  Another time you may want to consider waking him from a nap is if it's too close to when you would put him down at night.  It doesn't sound like your baby is having any sleep problems and it seems like you are all happy so why change what's working for everyone?
  • Sounds like almost the same "schedule" my little one is on and he is 4 weeks . I'm also a FTM and analyzing every nap/feed and sleep times. I have found that if my son is awake more or has visitors from family and kept stimulated for awhile he doesn't sleep as well at night. As for your mother in law, don't let it worry you, mine told me I was "spoiling" my son when he was ONE week old and I picked him up because he was screaming. Don't know if it's just me but I feel a lot of women around my mother and mother In laws age have completely different views on how to parent than what I have gathered from friends my age with little babies. I'm glad to hear another FTM is having the same concerns as me though! I am constantly looking for reassurance I'm doing this right lol!!!
  • We're the same too! DS only naps for about r hours in the afternoon and is awake for the morning and evening. It works for us and I've learned to start the nap routine before the fussiness kicks in. It's nice too because if I want to spend the afternoon wandering the mall or errands I can because I have a good long stretch!

Of course I'm sure he will switch it up soon.
  • purtzpurtz member
    I have a quick book recommendation on this topic- the 90 Minute Sleep Solution by Polly Moore. This book really helped me understand DD's natural sleep patterns and help her nap well during the day, and therefore sleep better at night! GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"