Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Is Holding My Baby to Sleep Really a Bad Thing?

My son has always been a good sleeper and continues to be. He typically sleeps 9.5 to 10 hours per night every night. We get him to go to sleep by holding him in our arms and playing him lullaby music. Once he closes his eyes, we hold him for about 5 minutes to make sure he is getting into a deeper sleep then we slip him into his crib. It has always worked out for him. 

But today we had his 9-month checkup, and we told the doctor this is how we get him to sleep. She said this is bad because he's not falling to sleep on his own. She suggested that we stick him into the crib and let him cry it out. I do not feel comfortable with doing this and would like to stick to our routine that's working. 

Can anyone tell me what kinds of problems we might run into longer term if we keep up with out current sleep routine? I guess I just don't understand why someone would say that's so bad. What issues might we be in for if we keep doing this?? Any advice would be much appreciated. I just can't bring myself listen to my sweet boy cry it out.

Re: Is Holding My Baby to Sleep Really a Bad Thing?

• Options
    What happens when he wakes up during the night? Do you have to repeat this process? Or can he fall asleep on his own? What about having a babysitter put him to sleep?

If he isn't capable of falling back to sleep on his own, then I would think you might want to change it. My DD is almost 3 and either my DH or myself has put her to sleep every night except when I was in the hospital having our twins. We are ok with that. So it really depends on how much you want him to depend on you.

With DD we did the same as you. But with our twins I needed them to learn to lay down in their cribs & drift off on their own. We are trying a modified Ferber cry it out and have seen a lot of improvement in less than 2 weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    He doesn't really ever wake up in the middle of the night. He is a very sound sleeper. One the off chance that he does, he typically falls back to sleep very quickly in our arms. My mom put him to bed once, and he was able to follow the same routine...fell asleep in her arms then stayed asleep. We haven't had anyone other than that put him to sleep.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the responses. I think we are going to keep doing what we're doing. I guess I will see if this ends up presenting a problem for us. This helped a lot!!
  • Options
    I'm using the cry it out method in my 6month old boy. I usually let him fall asleep in my arms while he is nursing but he wakes up several times a night hence my strategy but I say if your baby sleeps thru the night and doesn't wake up often then continue rocking him to sleep. Babies love cuddles!!! Just reinforces how much you love him. As he gets older he will fall asleep on his own.
  • Options
    I always nurse DD at night, and most nights we just lay her down drowsy and she falls alseep on her own. If she's not drowsy we often rock her a bit longer. I wouldn't rock the boat if it is working for you.

Rylan 1/27/2011, 2:42 pm, 5lbs 12oz, 18.5 inches long
     Ayla 10/02/2013, 10:14 am, 6lbs 14oz, 19.25 inches long
    Missed Miscarriage 6w3d 3/02/2010
    I'll hold you in my heart until I hold you in heaven

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    there is nothing wrong with holding your child to sleep, my LO is almost 9 month and i still hold her and sing to her to sleep. C'mon, he is still a baby hold him as much as you both want. 

• Options
    umma4babesumma4babes member
    edited June 2014
    Yeah, I would not go back to a doctor who recommends CIO just because ricking is "bad." It's one thing if your LO is not sleeping well, then I can see how a doctor might "suggest" it. I've always rocked my babies to sleep and they sleep great. My now almost 4 year old DS was a huge fan of rocking and we never had a problem with him not being able to fall back asleep on his own. I'd say "rock on"!
  • Options
    roo1ooroo1oo member
    I got some advice from a coworker whose children are older than mine when I first had my baby. He said the best advice he could give me was to teach baby to fall asleep on his own. He said this because his oldest child required someone lay down with her to fall asleep until she was 6 years old. 

If you're ok with possibly needing to hold or be present for your child to fall asleep until you need or want to break the habit, then I say don't change a thing. I personally prefer to put my baby down awake in the crib and let him do whatever he needs to do to fall asleep. 

I'm personally not a fan of CIO, but I have no issue with letting LO fuss it out. I also would not "run away" from a doctor who suggests CIO. Everyone has different approaches that have worked for them or their patients. Some have used CIO, some use other methods, but no matter what a doctor gives advice and some you may like and some you may not. If you like the doctor otherwise I wouldn't let this one thing ruin the relationship.
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"