Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Flying with 10 mo old

We are about to go on a 5 hr flight with our 10.5 mo old.  I have not purchased a seat for her because I didn't want to spend the money.  Now that it's getting closer and I see that she's moving around a lot more I'm wondering if I should get her a seat.  She's not quite crawling yet but has gotten very squirmy.  Also, does anyone have a list of things to bring on the plane for a baby that age?  What's the best baby carrier for wearing through the airport/ on the plane for that age?  If I do get her a seat, we have a Graco Snugride 35.  Is it better to bring the base on the plane or go without?  How do you install in the airplane seat?  I was planning to bring our City Versa stroller which her car seat doesn't connect to.  Do you think that will be an issue for getting around the airport with all of the gear?  Any other tips for traveling with a baby?  Thanks!
BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Flying with 10 mo old

• RedDDDRedDDD member
    I don't have a lot of positive suggestions because flying with a child that age just plain sucks A**.  I had a 3.5 hour flight with my son at 7 months and I wanted to gouge out my own eyes.  Thankfully my husband was with me and we played the pass him back and forth game.  He basically cried for the first 45 minutes of each flight and then fell asleep so that was good.  We agreed we would never fly anywhere with kids until they were MUCH older.  Since then we have been on flights with a child around the age of 1 around us and on 3 separate occasions we have been horrified and of course it confirmed that we will never fly with babies.  Having said that....bring toys, ipad, snacks, bottle, give him advil just in case, buy juice or water in the airport and bring it on with you.  I dont wear my babies partly because they got huge and found it hard on my back but I bought a cheapo umbrella stroller to check at the gate.  If you are traveling by yourself I might get her a seat just because it will be easier on you and you will have more space.  If you are traveling with someone then at least you can pass the child back and forth.  If you bring your car seat you check it at the gate and yes its a sh*t show carrying all that gear and crap through the airport but it is what it is......GL.  As the other PP said try sitting with her held down for a few hours.....HELL try it for ten minutes and you will know how its gonna be.
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Also, have you seen how the handle luggage? Even gate checked, your seat may become damaged. It's super easy to instal baseless, so don't even bring it.
    Check the car seat lady and car seats for the Littles, they have lots of travel info.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • I agree with the others. Buy a seat. We flew with ds at 9m (very active) in his snugride 35. It is super easy to install without the base on a plane (instructions are in the manual). We also took a Macleran umbrella stroller for the airport. We looped the handle of the carseat over some rolling luggage, which made it easy to roll through the airport.

We had a 3 hr flight, a layover, and another hour flight. Then the same on the way home. He slept for approx 75% of the time in the air and was asleep before take off on all legs. When he was awake, plastic cups, water bottles, and lots of Cheerios kept him very happy.

The bonus to the carseat (besides safety) is that they are used to sitting in it for long periods of time in the car as opposed to 5 hrs on your lap. You can still take them out for a bit to stretch out and then go back in the seat.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
  • Thanks for the advice.  I ended up getting her a seat and buying a car seat adapter for the city versa stroller :-)
  • Oh my, you are brave for taking on that type of trip with a baby!  Congrats on surviving!  I decided the seat would be better for eating and sleeping purposes and found out I had some miles I didn't know about so I was able to get one leg of the flight for free.  Is the Ergo much better than other carriers?  Does it really not hurt your back or shoulders at all?  I have a few different carriers (one I bought, and a few borrowed) but wasn't sure if there was a better one out there.
  • amiefamief member
    We have flown with little one twice and it hasnt' been too bad.  Both times we bought him a seat. 

There were 2 of us.  I wore the baby and DH carried the car seat (we checked the stroller in a travel bag). This made it easy to go through security b/c we weren't trying to get LO out of the stroller, etc. We have a Boba carrier, but I don't think it matters what kind you have.  Whatever you have carried LO in before and are both comfortable with will be fine.  

I am travelling with LO alone in a few weeks for the first time.  This time I do plan to bring the stroller with me, but only because we got a stroller that will fit in the overhead.  I plan to still wear LO until we get through security so that process goes smoother.  Then once we are through I will likely put him in the carseat/stroller until we board the plane.  

Put a bunch of empty ziplocs in your diaper bag.  You never know what you are going to need to keep separate and they have come in so handy on our previous trips.  

Put your carry on under the seat in front of you and not in the overhead.  You will need to get in there 1,000 times and under the seat is so much easier.  

Change LO before you got on the plane and during layovers if possible.  Basically try to avoid having to change them on the flights.  

You could look into purchasing a Lil Sidekick or two.  They are straps to attach most items to your car seat/stroller so the LOs can't throw the items on the ground.  Very handy in an airport where you wouldn't want to give the item back to LO if it hit the ground.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We flew with our 5 month old from Texas to Canada. Brought the stroller and car seat that fit with it for getting through the airport, then gate checked it. It worked well. Nursed him on take off and landing. Walked the isles or stayed in the galley if he got fussy. It was fine, and I'm flying solo with him as a 10 month old this weekend. Btw, he loved the barf bag.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • We just did 5.5 hours with our 9 month old without a seat and it was fine! Her favorite thing to play with was tissue paper I brought to wrap some new toys in...it seriously kept her busy for like 45 minutes...I nursed at take off when she slept an hour then an hour before landing and she slept through landing...ergo was a life saver, we checked the car seat and base with luggage in a protective carrier and we checked the stroller (city mini) at the gate...she didn't ride in the stroller at the airport though we carried her in the ergo which was a lifesaver...we used the stroller to pile stuff in/on
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• AsivecAsivec member
    Best trip tip... Get those lanyards everyone gives out and use those to secure toys while traveling. Keeps most toys from the floor.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • stalking from 3-6months :)

I actually just booked a trip back home to Philly for thanksgiving when my twins will be 10 months.  I know it won't be a easy trip but reading what worked for you has helped me figure out what we need to bring.
    WE have one baby bijorn carrier right now but thinking we will need another one so my DH and I both can have our hands free when we get through the airport.
    I will definitely will have to find some lanyards also, that is a good idea.

I just feel sorry for the person that will be next to us on the flight, at least I gave them the aisle seat :)

BFP#1 • 11/15/12 ectopic-too early to have EDD • MTX 11/30/12
    BFP#2 • 6/30/13 EDD 3/9/14...TWINS!! Baby A (BOY)-167 HB • Baby B (GIRL)-174 HB
    January 31, 2014 • Dominic Jayden 4lbs. 8oz.Ciara Aliyah 3lbs. 11oz. at 34w5d
  • AsivecAsivec member
    I did nj to hawaii with a 9 month old without a seat. Just don't stress and it will work out. Make sure you have more than enough food (she took 3 of her regular bottles on take off b/c of ears and fear I think) and hope that they will sleep.

Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Personally I think the seat is a waste of money. She isn’t going to want to sit in it anyway! We flew with our 10 month old. Take enough bottles and feed during take off to help with her ears popping. Take a portable DVD player or Tablet with some pre downloaded shows. A few of her favorite toys. It’s not too bad. Most plans you can check a stroller or car seat or BOTH for free, so check into that. I think having a stroller wherever you go is a good idea. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• Sitting it in when the fasten seatbelt sign is on should be as non negotiable as sitting in the seat in a car. A checked car seat has an unknown history just as if you picked it up from the curb. There can be unseen damage and leave you with no seat to use at your destination.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• skeppler1 said:
    stalking from 3-6months :)

I actually just booked a trip back home to Philly for thanksgiving when my twins will be 10 months.  I know it won't be a easy trip but reading what worked for you has helped me figure out what we need to bring.
    WE have one baby bijorn carrier right now but thinking we will need another one so my DH and I both can have our hands free when we get through the airport.
    I will definitely will have to find some lanyards also, that is a good idea.

I just feel sorry for the person that will be next to us on the flight, at least I gave them the aisle seat :)
    You and your dh won't be sitting in the same row, fyi. You can't have two lap children in the same row, there are only 4 oxygen masks. 

• @gimmietimmies thank you for that info, I had no idea to even think about that. I called the airline to make sure.
    Thanks for the heads up

BFP#1 • 11/15/12 ectopic-too early to have EDD • MTX 11/30/12
    BFP#2 • 6/30/13 EDD 3/9/14...TWINS!! Baby A (BOY)-167 HB • Baby B (GIRL)-174 HB
    January 31, 2014 • Dominic Jayden 4lbs. 8oz.Ciara Aliyah 3lbs. 11oz. at 34w5d
  • We did the same thing. Freaked out and booked a seat last minute for our ten month old on a flight to Arizona with one stop. It was the right move. I. Ant imagine holding her. We also bought a grayco elite stroller that our car seat fit into. It was a godsend at the airport and on the whole trip. Even back at home now we love it. It was soooo much better than the baby carrier we had planned to use. We took a tablet and loaded it with a couple hours of baby einsteins she likes. That was also a huge help to keep her quiet. Even if you are anti screen time at this age I think a plane ride is an extraordinary circumstance that calls for an exception. The car seat was a breeze to install. We packed the base so we did not have it on the plane. That made things easier.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"