Natural Birth

Need advice on 36/37 week hospital birth

I had preterm labor at 33.5 weeks and my OB put me on bed rest until 36 weeks and said she wouldn't stop labor after that.  I will be 36 weeks in a couple days.  If all continues to go well though, I hopefully won't deliver this baby until 38-40+ weeks.

But I'm not sure about the next two weeks.  If I go into labor at 36 or 37 weeks, would you still labor at home for awhile before going to the hospital, knowing they won't do anything to stop labor anyway? All is well with both me and baby, and the growth ultrasound at 35 weeks estimated 7lb 7oz (my prior babies were estimated a full pound bigger than they actually were, but still likely a good sized baby for gestational age).

I'd like to labor at home for as long as possible and avoid unnecessary interventions.  Would you head straight in or still labor at home?

Re: Need advice on 36/37 week hospital birth

• mb314mb314 member
    Unless your OB said you have to head straight to the hospital when labor starts and you have no other risk factors, I think you can labor at home for a while.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• If it were me I would definitely stay home as long as possible. No need to be put on the clock earlier than necessary. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I was in the same situation as you (PTL at 35w, stalled til 38w, dilated to 6cm) when my water broke the morning of my 38w appointment. The midwives still told me to go home and walk around til contractions picked back up and "don't dawdle" if they did since I was already so far dilated. I was at home for the next 12 hours and STILL hadn't had contractions pick up so they finally brought me in for pit augmentation. They absolutely didn't want me to head to the hospital any earlier than I felt I needed to.
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Thanks so much for the feedback, ladies.  I just needed some reassurance that I wasn't crazy for still thinking I could labor at home if I went a little early.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"