October 2014 Moms

Bruised/Purple Nipples

AargAarg member
edited June 2014 in October 2014 Moms
Totally random maybe? Maybe not?

I was putting my pjs on and noticed that my nipples are extremely purple. I'm a FTM so they are not from nursing or anything like that.
They don't hurt they just look huge and purple... It's weird.

Anyone experience this?
I see my OB Tuesday so I'll bring it up then, but thought if ask some of my fellow bumpies first :D
TIA

Re: Bruised/Purple Nipples

• Maybe increased blood flow? (This is just a random guess lol).

image         image

• Loading the player...
  • Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited June 2014
    Absolutely normal! Your breasts are preparing to feed your baby. :)

Like @HappyCianci‌ said, the change in skin pigment occurs to help your baby find your nipple to nurse. Babies see contrast much more easily, so dark nipples against light skin is very helpful to them.

ETA: This change is not permanent! By a few months postpartum with DS, my nipples were back to their usual color (and I EBF and nursed him on demand for over 2 years). Now they're purpleish-brown again.
    imageimage
  • AargAarg member
    Ok cool, Thanks ladies!
    And yes nature is great!

Way to go Female body! =D>
  • Yep, been like that for a while with me. I assumed it was the increased blood in the breasts. I have those lovely dark veins too. Sexey.

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• My nipples are also darker and seem to be the size of small saucers these days. They're so sensitive, which isn't helped by DD's game of trying to grab them and yelling "ouch!"  If it didn't hurt so much it would be adorable. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just have some intensely blue veins mapped across my breasts. My areola pigmentation is doing other strange things :-<
  • AargAarg member

I literally just came out of the bathroom like "WTF? My nipples look like they belong to one of the characters in Avatar". I am so grateful you posted this as they literally changed color today.  So weird!  Also big thanks to the poster who said it isn't permanent because I am not sure I am a fan.  I am very pale so they look awful- like hershey kisses on a white blanket :/

I felt like this exactly!! I figured it was totally normal but wanted to ask on case it warranted a call to my OB.
    I turned to the mirror as I was putting my shirt on and immediately had to take a double take!
  • @Slapdashalice - I died at the "characters in Avatar" reference....way funnier to me than it probably is in real life!
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• Ditto. My areola grew a month or so ago and got MUCH darker then normal.

I'm also very pale, so it's quite shocking....but they're generally oddly light coloured, so it's been neat to see the change

It's a BOY! Est. Due Date - October 17th

BabyFruit Ticker

• My old manager/family friend found out she was pregnant because of this. She told us that she came out of the shower and was like "Do these look different to you?" to her husband. They went out and bought a test, and tada! Pregnant. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I literally just came out of the bathroom like "WTF? My nipples look like they belong to one of the characters in Avatar". I am so grateful you posted this as they literally changed color today.  So weird!  Also big thanks to the poster who said it isn't permanent because I am not sure I am a fan.  I am very pale so they look awful- like hershey kisses on a white blanket :/

Chocolate can never be awful, but I know what you mean ;).

I wish mine were the size of Hershey kisses, my areolas are seriously massive right now.  DH hasn't noticed them because he can't get past the size of my boobs.  I catch people looking at my chest when they talk to me, even my mom was looking and said, "jeez, you've never had knockers like that!"

• It's normal for nipple to get much darker during pregnanct. Mine lightened up after baby was born. I actually read that it's your body's natural way of helping baby find the nipple... not sure how true that is.
  • AargAarg member

This is how I feel when I look at my nipples these days.

(P.S. Maya Rudolph is my idol.)

THIS!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"