May 2014 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding check in

How's breastfeeding going this week?

How old is LO ? How long between feedings?

EBF, EP, supplementing?

What challenges have you had this week, what solutions did you find ?

Raves and rants?

Have you tried nursing in public yet, where have you fed LO?

Anything else you want to share?

Re: Breastfeeding check in

• Options
    Beginning of 6 week growth spurt so he's doing great. Me a little frustrated

How old is LO ? 6 weeks next Monday

How long between feedings?barely 2 hours now.

EBF, EP, supplementing? EBF

Mostly during feedings when my 3 year kid has to go to the bathroom or wants a drink and I have to get up

Raves and rants?
    When he's super tired he fights between breast and paci

No I usually run out real quick and leave him home with SO and a bottle
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have been engrossed in mommy-dom and therefore MIA, but I'll play... 

How's breastfeeding going this week? - It is going well. Now that the mastitis has been resolved, breastfeeding is getting easier, and LO is working on a deeper latch so all in all I am a happy momma.

How old is LO ? How long between feedings? -  This is where I get frustrated. LO is 4 weeks old yesterday. During the day she is pretty consistently eating 2-3 hours during the day. At night we get one 4 hour stretch after her bedtime feeding, and then its almost every hour for 2-3 hours, before the sun is up and she goes back to feeding once every 2-3 hours. I am one tired momma!

EBF, EP, supplementing? EBF

What challenges have you had this week, what solutions did you find ? See my timing complaints above. I still haven't found a solution. Assistance welcomed!

Raves and rants? LO consistently fights going to sleep. Its like she is afraid of missing something.

Have you tried nursing in public yet, where have you fed LO?  I have breast fed a couple of times in my car before going in to places to run errands. There was the Walmart parking lot, at the high school baseball game parking lot and most recently last night in the Red Robin parking lot before grabbing a bite with a girlfriend.

My Ovulation Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/CallMeMrsChaos/

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image   View Full Size Image

• Options
    eliakeliak member

I think we are doing great! I feel more confident and i have started to understand when he is hungry and when he is full.

3 weeks old. At days he usually eats every 3 hours and at nights we have one long stretch of 5 hours and then every 3 again.

EBF, EP, supplementing?
    EBF

Still trying to figure out how to stop excessive spit ups. I have now changed the position i hold him while he nurses and things are somewhat better.

Raves and rants?
    Nop

The only place i nursed beside home is my parents house that feels just like my place so nothing special in this area yet!

I feel so proud that I can still EBF. I didnt think i could do it. You all keep me motivated! Keep up the good work girls!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    1. Good! I'm starting to get my over supply under control so that makes me happy.

2. 4 weeks 2.5-3 hours

3. EBF

4 &5. I am beginning to get sick of being the only one who is feeding DS. I know I could pump & bottle feed but I don't. MH has fed him once, but he could care less about doing it & honestly I'm not interested in the double work I feel it is.

6. I nursed at the doctors office but that's it. That's the only place we've left the house to go to. I'm not worried about NIP though as I did it with DS1.

After 4 years, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs our surprise miracle is here!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Blog

TTC # 2 BFP 03/02/13 = CP, BFP 05/14/13 = CP, BFP 08/09/13 = CP

RPL testing = normal

TI Cycle #1, 50 clomid days 3-7, 150 iu Follistim days 8-11 = BFP! EDD May 22, 2014

Betas: 13 DPO = 79, 15 DPO = 149, 19 DPO = 788, 22 DPO = 2031

• Options
    Good. After the first week we haven't had any issues except we need a shield due to flat nipples but that is a permanent thing

4 weeks tomorrow. 1.5-2 hours during the day and every 2 hours at night.

EBF, EP, supplementing? EBF except a bottle of formula every night so DH can feed him and I can stock up on frozen BM

Just wishing he would go longer between feedings at night. He is getting so chunky so I know he could go a few extra hours

Raves and rants? Just tired.

Have you tried nursing in public yet, where have you fed LO? Yep. I obviously try to feed before I go but there are plenty of times he needs to eat while I'm still out. I've fed at my in laws, several of my nephews baseball games, the car, the park
  • Options
    ns1ns1 member
    1. Going well!

2. 2 weeks. About 2-3 hours.

3. Ebf. Just started pumping for a work stash but haven't introed the bottle yet.

4. I'm paranoid that as my supply is regulating I don't make enough milk since my boobs feel so floppy. I know LO is doing well with output and weight gain and I'm feeding on demand so I should chill. But I can't help but have that fear in the back of my head.

5. I love doing this the second time around. I like not feeling so confused about how to do everything. It's nice to already have a system down for feeding / pumping.

6. Just at the pediatrician's office.

7. Nope!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    1. Going well. It gets better/easier every day

2. She'll be a month on Sunday. Every 2-3 during day. 3-4 at night.

3. EBF

4. I started pumping after my morning feed to start my stash and so DH can into a bottle next week. Then I felt like LO was hungry an hour later and I didn't have enough milk for her. I was upset. But she calmed abc fell asleep and 2 hrs later we were back on track.

5. Rant: I'm tired and can't wait for longer night stretches. Rave: I finally am feeling more comfortable and confident in BF and with being more active w her.

6. My first time was today at a BF support / social group. LO and I did so well! Was so proud.

• Options
    Ooh.. Ok one more crazy moment. I have more EP numbers. From what I tracked with DD (from about 4 months old to 16.5 months) I pumped 57.4 gallons of BM (7,347 oz), she ate 52.6 gallons (6,732.8 oz). So from the time she was 4 months old to weaning I expended 146,944 calories on BM production.

I so wish I would have had this app on my phone sooner with her.
  • Options
    - pretty well. Earlier this week I would have said fantastic but the past couple days have been a little frustrating since DD keeps throwing fits and popping off and stretching my nipple out. I have no idea why either.

- 3 weeks today! Usually about 90 minutes; 2 hrs if I'm lucky. That's around the clock too!

EBF, EP, supplementing?
    - EBP

- DD is going thru a growth spurt and she's been doing this thing the past couple days where she pulls at my nipple and pops off but then furiously tries to get back on, multiple times in a row, and this especially happens at night (like right now). She also screams. I think it might be gas; I hope it isn't reflux. I have no idea how to know if it's because I have OALD or some other supply issue. I think I'm going to call a LC BC it is frustrating for both of us.

Raves and rants?
    - Aside from above rant, nope. I think I have a good supply which seems to be keeping up with her constant feeding, so I guess that is a rave.

- So far I've nursed her in the pediatrician's office and the lobby lounge of our condo building (though it's sort of a separate area and nobody saw me that I know of so not sure that one counts).

- Growth spurts are hard!
  • Options
    Good, started pumping and freezing.  
    3 weeks.  About 3 hours, longer overnight.
    EBF, EP, supplementing? 
    EBF
    What challenges have you had this week, what solutions did you find? 
    My toddler.  I feel bad for her because when I am nursing I can't let her interact with us like she wants too. :(  I have no good solution yet.  I hope it get better.
    Raves and rants?
    I am no longer needing lanolin or the other annoying beginning things.  I am remembering how much easier it gets as time passes.
    Yup, during dinner on Monday at a pizza joint.  It was NBD, but I wish I had had my MBF. 
    Had my first glass of wine this week.  It was WONDERFUL. 

• Options
    1. I'm shocked, but it's still going great.
    2. 3 weeks. On demand which turns out to be every 2-3 hours with lots of cluster feeding in the evening. We usually get one 4-5 hour stretch at night.
    3. EBF and some pumped bottles.
    4. I started pumping about a week ago. I was scared to death of that thing. I've done it a half dozen times by now and feel more confident about pumping. I even have 10 oz in the freezer and a few in the fridge :)
    5. Started the 3 week growth spurt. Dd is constantly at the boob. That's a rant btw. Rave would be that I'm really proud of myself for breast feeding. I was always more scared of that than the actual giving birth part.
    6. Yes, DH, sister and SIL were out for brunch and I nursed DD at the table. It was pretty easy.
    7. I got my Brest Friend in the mail....why didn't I have this 3 weeks ago?!

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image

• Options

@haylo33‌, I've been using a nipple shield on and off but I'm worried about it since the nurses and LCs at the hospital implied I shouldn't use it permanently. How are you managing with it? What do your LCs and/or doctors say about using it?

They warned me in the hospital that a shield can mess up supply. I haven't had an issue at all with this. They said with time my nipples will come out and I won't need the shield but this hasn't happened for me. I am totally ok using it forever if that's what it takes to BF. My pediatrician said as long as my supply is ok, I should use it. I also pump once a day so I'm sure that helps keep my supply.
  • Options
    HallilHallil member
    Just getting better and better!

She's 3 weeks old, she goes 2-4 hours during the day, about 15 minutes in the evenings, ha! But typically 6+ hour stretches at night.

EBF, EP, supplementing?
    EBF

OALD and over supply lefty have been choking the poor girl out. Every day and a half ish I have to pump it because she can't keep up to that side and I'm not messing with engorgement over and over. Next week I start teaching classes again so DH will need pumped milk a few nights a week anyway. I started my stash.

Raves and rants?
    Rant-Lefty is trying to kill her with over supply and OALD
    Rave-lefty pumpes 4-5 oz in 5 minutes and righty makes enough to keep we full and gaining all on it's own.

Yep, all over the place, mall, coffee shop, car show, you know...

Keep up the good work ladies!

• Options
    @Carpenter627‌ - I also haven't left the house this week. Just walks around the neighborhood. We've been out, but I've always been out with help. The idea of going out alone with her makes me so anxious. I think I may try a short trip to the library today. I get it though.

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image

• Options

So much better! Finally!

7 weeks. Goes every two hours or less during the day and 6 or 7 hours at night.

EBF, EP, supplementing?

EBF

Baby only poops every four or five days and by the end gets so so so uncomfortable and fussy. No solutions - though we have tried pressing his legs to his chest and that seems to help?

Raves and rants?

Rant - BF at a grad party last week and people acted like I had a disease. It was obnoxious. I can talk and feed my kid at the same time. And I used a cover, so it's not like people were even seeing anything.

Rave - more sleep at night means a much happier mama.

Every day almost. Parks, library, the zoo. Wherever I am with DS1.

My toddler bugs me constantly while I'm nursing and I get very resentful. I want him to leave me alone. I give him so much attention already - nursing time is the baby's time. He has taken to climbing up behind me on the couch and messing with my hair or jewelry. Gah.
    Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS - 2 years old
  • Options
    @Jcrewgirl85‌ @Carpenter627‌ Good luck on your solo trips. I did it yesterday and couldn't believe how well it went. It was super scary and nerve racking but now I feel more confident and comfortable. Of course my first trip solo was to a BF support group which was comforting since all the ladies had little ones but then we went to Target after. I felt like 'ok I got this' for the first time. Good luck! Gotta start somewhere :)
  • Options
    giggler25giggler25 member
    edited June 2014

@giggler25‌ My LO has been doing this too. She usually calms down and quits doing it if I switch sides. Not sure if I'm out of milk and she's still hungry or something else, but thought I'd share!

85‌

@Carpenter627‌
    Thanks for sharing! I have tried that a couple times, with limited success. Glad to know I'm not alone - thanks for the tip!

• Options
    lrmrtnlrmrtn member
    1. It's been tough. Nipples are sore and my left hurts all the time, like someone punched it.

2. 4 weeks, 2-3 hours

3. BF, pumping and formula.

4. Trying to find a balance of how much to feed DS. Too little, he's fussy. Too much, he pukes. He'll eat whatever is there so it's not like he stops when he's full.

5. Rant - feeding is taking an hour if I BF. He's not efficient and he doesn't seem to get enough so then he needs a bottle. Even pumping takes 45 minutes.

6. Haven't NIP yet.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    1. Its going quite well, still some nip pain, which I am learning is a shallow latch.

2. 5 weeks, 2-4 hours

3. EBF

4. Just would love to BF pain free

5. Nursing bras are expensive and I refuse to pay that price.

6. I am hungry - lunch time!
  • Options
    What's the app?
  • Options
    Pretty good, cluster feeding is a little better this week.

3 weeks 5 days, 2-3 hours during the day, typically more frequently in the morning and early evenings. One 4-6 hour stretch at night, and then a 3 hour after that.

EBF, EP, supplementing?
    EBF plus pumping and building a stash, usually one or two bottles of breast milk a day

He gets really cranky from 7-9ish or whenever he falls asleep in that time frame. Sometimes he acts hungry, latches on, but then pulls off and screams. I have never had issues with strong letdown or running out of milk so not sure why he does this. It is really frustrating to deal with an unhappy screaming baby for several hours, but I am thankful for the long stretch I get at night.

Raves and rants?
    My Aunt made comments at the restaurant about me nursing without a cover, said it was one thing at the park but another at a place with kids around (even though a child walked past me while I was nursing in the park and asked me the baby's name). She rolled her eyes at me when I said I didn't need to cover up and then tried to get DH to lean forward to block me from anyone's view, and I had very little exposed. It was pretty frustrating to deal with family putting me down for NIP, at least my DH is supportive.

Tried for the first time this week, once at a Renaissance fair in a stadium with a nursing cover, but I really hate using them and have a hard time with them. So I went without at the park this week and then again at a restaurant. I just wore a tank under my shirt so my belly wasn't exposed.

I am pleased I got over my fear of BF in public, now I will just have to get used to doing it at home with my FIL around since the in laws are getting here tomorrow!
  • Options
    @Lissiehoya‌ sorry you are having a hard time. I definitely recommend seeing the LC. I also went to a BF support/social group. Both really saved me from wanting to quit (not that I love it now but i feel so much better than before). Good luck to you. You aren't alone!
  • Options
    QOTRQOTR member
    @giggler25, I could have written your post, except my LO is a boy.  He's also started pulling off and stretching my nipple to eternity.  And likewise with the frantic, can't get reattached so I'll just motorboat the nipple fits in the middle.  And then the next session, will be calm and peaceful.  I don't get it.  I'm going to try to video it next time and will try to see a LC later this week.

These check-ins are very helpful to me in setting expectations based on my LO's age.  Thank you all for sharing.

How's breastfeeding going this week?   I feel like we've hit a rough patch.  See above.

How old is LO ? How long between feedings?  2 1/2 weeks.  It's sporadic... sometimes it will be up to 3 hours, other times, it is 45 minutes.    It's making it really hard to know if he is fussy or hungry, so when in doubt, I offer boob.

EBF, EP, supplementing?   EBF

I was having a problem with OALD on the right side, but it seems a bit better.  I was side-lying to resolve that, but I think that contributed to his gassiness & spit-up problem, so now I'm using the cross-cradle again, being sure to keep his head elevated and then keeping him upright for a bit after feeding.  I'm also using block feeding to make sure he's getting enough of the hind milk. 

Raves and rants?

Rant - having one of those days where I feel like I'm just not good at this mom stuff.

Rave - when BF is good, it is so good.  I really do love the connection and how easy it is to satisfy him (again, when he is not fussing with it).

In the pedi's office was the first time and I tried to use a blanket, but it was awkward.  I also fed in the grocery store parking lot and that was fine. 
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • Options
    lica001 said:

6wks (almost 7wks)
    EBF, EP, supplementing?
    was EBF for a few days but things aren't quite right now
    don't think DS is getting enough even though he's gaining weight. Almost like my milk has gone. I'm hoping it's just a hydration thing.
    Raves and rants?
    other than DS constantly falling asleep on the boob?
    I whip these babies out anywhere! Granted I use a cover but have no qualms if I'm caught without. My parents were probably horrified when I BF in Wendy's!
    Anything else you want to share? Am hoping to get back on track with volume of milk as I'm heading back to work in 2 wks

• Options
    @ShanJohnNC‌ how do you know bub isn't getting enough? If he's gaining weight and has lots of wet diapers it's all good.

Granted I worry at times. But by yhe time he gets weighed and shocks us every time by how much he's gained.

If he's around 6-7 weeks he could be spurting if your noticing an increase in wanting to eat. DS just went through it and gained over 3 oz in 2 days.

• Options
    sws684sws684 member
    N/A.. EPing

4 weeks tomorrow. As of recently ~2-3 hours (was 1.5 for a day or so)

EBF, EP, supplementing? EP

Supply decreased possibly due to too much time between pump sessions. Thawed some milk while I replenished stash w more frequent pumping.

Also, fishy smelling thawed milk is ok and prob due to supplement. I'm going to stop or alternate DHA supp. Baby drank the milk (cold) successfully though :)

Raves and rants?
    Pumping all the time makes me feel trapped, and it's harder to do things even when others have the baby.

Have you tried nursing in public yet, where have you fed LO? N/A

Motherhood is delightful despite the difficulties. It's ok not to feel amazing all the time. It's hard. I've been struggling with trapped feeling, boredom, and anxiety. After seeing another thread, I'm glad I'm not alone.
  • Options
    In SUUUUPER ecstatic to report that, after a very slow weight gain back to birth weight (took almost four weeks), my guy gained 21 ounces in 13 days!

I was contemplating supplementing with formula but scared it would make me want to stop nursing. So I stepped up nursing and pumping and we nailed it!

LO is 6 weeks old. I pump twice a day, yielding about 6 ounces. I give him 2.5 ounces prior to bed just before his last nursing session.

I nursed in my hair salon today. Success!

These are my answers all jumbled into one.
  • Options
    H&H2014H&H2014 member
    edited June 2014
    So-so. Good feeds and bad feeds.

2 weeks today. 30 min to 3-4 hours if she's asleep.

EBF, EP, supplementing? 
    EBF plus pumping because of early weight gain issue. Giving one bottle (1oz) of pumped milk after each feed (reducing by one daily at this point).

She's seriously struggling with the nipple shield and I'm seriously struggling without it.  Tonight she's been on/off for the last 3 hours and won't go down. I can't seem to make her happy right now and that's really difficult.

Raves and rants?
    I wish I could stop using the shield

Rave- I love when things go well and we have a good feed.

Only at the doctors office.

I'm tired but aren't we all? 

• Options
  • Options
    No complaints

How old is LO ? How long between feedings? 1 month some feedings are 2-3 hours

EBF, EP, supplementing? EBF

Sore nipples a cause he sucks like a Hoover and we both get lazy with latch in the middle of the night.

Raves and rants? Starte giving a bottle once a day and he sleeps for 5-6 hours afterward! Woohoo

Have you tried nursing in public yet, where have you fed LO? Yes at the doctors office. Just bought an udder cover so we can go to the park and if can not have anxiety of a possible crying baby.
  • Options
    QOTR said:
    @giggler25, I could have written your post, except my LO is a boy.  He's also started pulling off and stretching my nipple to eternity.  And likewise with the frantic, can't get reattached so I'll just motorboat the nipple fits in the middle.  And then the next session, will be calm and peaceful.  I don't get it.  I'm going to try to video it next time and will try to see a LC later this week.

@QOTR, is your LO still doing the crazy "bobbing for boobies" nipple pulling dance?  Mine is.  :)  Just wondering how you're doing and if the LC was able to provide any info on that behavior.  I'm pretty sure my DD does it when the flow is too fast or too slow for her.... the problem is I can't really tell which of those problems it is most of the time...  I also started noticing that I think she sometimes does it when she has to burp, but not always.
  • Options
    QOTRQOTR member
    I just met with the LC today. She believes he is doing that out of frustration when the flow slows down and he is made to work for it. She said I could try to massage the breast to get the flow up a bit for him or to switch breasts (she wasn't concerned with him possibly only getting foremilk with that feeding).

Good luck!
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • Options
    QOTR said:
    I just met with the LC today. She believes he is doing that out of frustration when the flow slows down and he is made to work for it. She said I could try to massage the breast to get the flow up a bit for him or to switch breasts (she wasn't concerned with him possibly only getting foremilk with that feeding). Good luck!
    Hey I was told the saaaaaame thing today!
  • Options
    QOTR said:

I just met with the LC today. She believes he is doing that out of frustration when the flow slows down and he is made to work for it. She said I could try to massage the breast to get the flow up a bit for him or to switch breasts (she wasn't concerned with him possibly only getting foremilk with that feeding).

Good luck!

Thanks for the info! That's what I thought and have been massaging the breast when that happens to try to help her out. If that doesn't work (which it does sometimes) I try burping or switching.

Since this is still happening though I have not yet tried pumping or a pacifier, since I am not confident that BF is "well established".
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"