July 2014 Moms
Options

What do you think? Another BFing in public story...

bgoodbparbgoodbpar member
edited June 2014 in July 2014 Moms
Up late and came across this story.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5474420?utm_hp_ref=parents&ir=Parents

It's my alma mater too-- but that's beside the point. Lots of mixed comments on it so just for kicks I wanted to see what J14 thought...

Re: What do you think? Another BFing in public story...

• Options
    I think it's a shame people find this something that is internet worthy.  A mom is feeding her baby.  Kudos to her!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image
  • Options
    @shelleybell I thought the same... BFing in public stories are getting a lot of attention it seems. This was all over several local news stations too apparently.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Bpargood said:
    @shelleybell I thought the same... BFing in public stories are getting a lot of attention it seems. This was all over several local news stations too apparently.
    I know it is crazy.  I wish people would focus on more important things - a mother feeding her child is not "newsworthy".  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic

image image
  • Options
    A mother should be able to feed her child anywhere even at her graduation ceremony. Hopefully there will be a day when this is not so newsworthy!
    Chase Alexander 12-11-01
    Sierra Nicole 6-15-05
    Avery Lyn 8-2-12
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    People are effing ignorant.

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    SaraRL07 said:
    The only thing I am more baffled by is how she was allowed to have the baby with her in the middle graduation.... Did she walk across the stage with her? I've never seen kids sit with parents waiting for their diplomas.... They are always with family in the stands.
    It's my understanding that a family member brought the baby to her. Our commencement ceremony at CSULB is like 3.5 hours FWIW as well. She was not holding the baby the entire time.

The comments are why I hate people. I actually read another article on this yesterday that talked more about her desire to empower African American women to breastfeed (I didn't realize that the statistics in that community are much lower), which I thought was the really cool part of the story.
    The comments were horrible! Urinating in public vs. BF? Really?? Amongst many other ridiculous thoughts. And I did actually read the article you are talking about as well. Thought it was interesting too especially as it is a community I am a part of and haven't noticed that the rate was lower-- at least amongst the people I know. Most have chosen to BF but of course the people I know are hardly representative of the entire Af. Am. population.

• Options
    I read about that incident at abcnews...and then I don't understand why it's even an incident.  Good for her for feeding her baby.  There might be a whole other outcry if she had chosen to bottle feed her baby at the graduation.  Seems like for moms, we're damned if we do and damned if we don't.  Good for her for wanting to support BF in the African American community, seems like she deserves praises more than what she's getting!

• Options

I was more upset about the slut shaming that went on with regards to this photo than the breast feeding outrage. People can yammer on about covering up and modesty and what have you, but the fact remains it's within her legal rights to feed that baby anywhere she has a right to be.

The people calling her a ho and a slut for "getting pregnant" were far more disturbing to me. Then I could go on a tangent about the fact that we use the term "getting pregnant" when it's not a disease you catch it happens when two people choose to tango.

I didn't read that far.  That's awful.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

Then I could go on a tangent about the fact that we use the term "getting pregnant" when it's not a disease you catch it happens when two people choose to tango.

I've definitely on more than one occasion referred to pregnancy as an STD. 
    imageimage

Alexander - 8/9/14
  • Options

I was more upset about the slut shaming that went on with regards to this photo than the breast feeding outrage. People can yammer on about covering up and modesty and what have you, but the fact remains it's within her legal rights to feed that baby anywhere she has a right to be.

The people calling her a ho and a slut for "getting pregnant" were far more disturbing to me. Then I could go on a tangent about the fact that we use the term "getting pregnant" when it's not a disease you catch it happens when two people choose to tango.

That is ridiculous! How do they know how old she is?? (well, nevermind, it says she is 25) but it is COLLEGE! I am in college and have a child and another on the way. I am 33 and married... am I a slut because I got pregnant while in college?? (well, yes.. I am a little bit of a slut, but that is an entirely different topic...) But still, people of all ages graduate from college every semester. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    aliletz said:

Then I could go on a tangent about the fact that we use the term "getting pregnant" when it's not a disease you catch it happens when two people choose to tango.

I've definitely on more than one occasion referred to pregnancy as an STD. 
    Mine is a parasitic STD. I love my little parasite though. Can't say I'd feel the same about the herp.

• Options

That is ridiculous! How do they know how old she is?? (well, nevermind, it says she is 25) but it is COLLEGE! I am in college and have a child and another on the way. I am 33 and married... am I a slut because I got pregnant while in college?? (well, yes.. I am a little bit of a slut, but that is an entirely different topic...) But still, people of all ages graduate from college every semester. 

It was the shit all over twitter. It was awful.

• Options
    I think this mom should be getting nothing but applause for getting through college while having a baby and for nursing!  I didn't read the comments but unfortunately there are a lot of ignorant people out there who just can't stand to have their world view challenged.  They don't deserve further thought.  They deserve to be ignored.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic imagephoto Candle_zps6cecf456.png 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    Like I've said before, I'm totally for breastfeeding in public. If your baby is hungry, you should feed him/her. Myself, personally, would cover up though. I don't like being exposed like that. I don't wear super low cut shirts that almost show my nip to begin with. So when breastfeeding in public, I will definitely use a cover.

... Which reminds me, I need to get one.

BFP#1: 08/30/12 EDD 04/30/12 m/c 09/04/12 6wks
    BFP#2: 01/27/13 EDD 10/06/13 missed m/c 02/25/13 9wks
    BFP#3: 10/30/13 EDD 07/05/14 Our little dude was born on 07/10/14 @ 2:19p <3

• Options
    Ecomom17 said:
    I think this mom should be getting nothing but applause for getting through college while having a baby and for nursing!  I didn't read the comments but unfortunately there are a lot of ignorant people out there who just can't stand to have their world view challenged.  They don't deserve further thought.  They deserve to be ignored.
    Exactly what I was thinking! 

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"