Breastfeeding

Confused breastfeeder needs help!!

With my 1st DC my supply dried up after 6 weeks so I am really trying to do everything right this time and I need help!!  I am EBFing my 6 day old and just want to be succesful this time around!  Several questions:

During feedings, he won't always nurse on both sides.  I have been letting him nurse on one side until he pulls away, then I burp him and attempt for the other side.  Most of the time he is full and won't take the other side.  Is this okay as long as I start the next feeding on the breast he wouldn't take or should I shorten the time on the first breast in hopes that he will take the other breast and not just be "satisfied" with what he got?

When should I start pumping should I decide to?  (How many weeks post birth) If I pump, should I pump immediately following a feeding?  I wouldn't want to pump to illiminate breastfeeding, just to have milk stored to do some bottle feedings.

Thanks for all the advice you have!!!

Re: Confused breastfeeder needs help!!

• i would see an LC who could look at your specific situation and develop a plan to maintain your supply. ?i had an oversupply until around 6 months and he only fed on one side at a time during that time and was satisfied with that. ?i switched sides for the next feeding. ?if he doesn't empty the breast, you could see a dip in supply since your body will think that it doesn't need to produce as much. ?again though, i would talk to a LC since you had difficulty last time. ?
  • For the first few weeks, DD only ate from one side and I just started the next feeding on the side she didn't eat from.  The LC I saw suggested pumping right after a feeding for 10 minutes to up my supply (trick your body into thinking LO needed more).  She told me that when DD was a week and a half old.  She had me rent a hospital grade pump (even though I had a Medela PIS at home).  I didn't see much difference between the two pumps.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • For the first couple weeks I only fed from one side and then started the next feeding with the other side. A lot of people do that and its fine if thats what works for you. My DD takes both sides now and I think she is getting enough this way, but maybe wasn't w/ one side. As long as your baby is gaining weight correctly and having enough wet diapers its fine. Although I am not sure what this would do to your supply if there is an issue.

To up my supply I pumped both sides for 15 mins right after every feeding for the first couple of weeks with a Medela PIS. It sucked, but it worked and I am producing enough to feed now. I started pumping on day 4. Once you are pumping to stash milk you will want to pump at least an hour after a feeding (and at least an hour before the next) so that you can get maximum amount, but still have some in there for the next feeding.

HTH! GL!

• better to finish one side competely than have half of both boobs- that way he gets the creamier hindmilk.  It is very normal for DC to have one boob not two- jsut switch off and read www.kellymom.com for great info. best of luck this time around.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"