Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

My 3-day old won't let me put her down

Every time I try to put her down, she screams until I pick her up again. She did ok in the hospital crib, she still cried but was ok sometimes. We just got home yesterday. I don't want to make it a habit of not letting me put her down. Is this normal?

Re: My 3-day old won't let me put her down

• Options
    Yes, they want to be held a lot. She just came out of a quiet environment where she was living in tight quarters and was floating all of the time. This world sucks to her.

Get the Happiest Baby on the Block DVD this week if you can. And as the PP suggested, look into babywearing her.
    IVF #1- BFP- DD 4/8/2011
    FET #1- 3BB and 3B-B
    Beta #1 (4w0d)- 504
    Beta #2 (4w4d)- 4,577
    Beta #3 (6w0d)- 78,399 HB 115 bpm
    U/S #2 7w0d- HB 155 bpm

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Same happened with me and I just held him until he fell asleep then put him down. Everyone tells me I'm spoiling him and I'm creating bad habits but in the end I also don't think a newborn can be spoiled-they spent 40wks in a comfy environment and being your arms is the second best thing.
  • Options
    It's tough for babies to adjust to their new environment. Enjoy the squishy baby cuddles. I would definitely suggest baby wearing - I didn't start early enough and had a really hard time getting anything done, holding the baby all day!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I'm a FTM and I have no idea what I'm doing yet. I just don't wanna do this wrong.
  • Options
    It's the 4th trimester!  Baby NEEDS to be held.  Ditto the advice to get a good baby carrier (I have lots of info on them in my siggy links).  

Follow your instincts - you can NEVER spoil a baby by meeting her needs, holding her, loving her.
  • Options
    Try skin to skin too. I did this after feedings or when she was fussy and it would knock her right out. Swaddling helps too.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    MizooMizoo member
    My LO and I have been basically inseparable since her birth a week ago.  I got a Boba wrap from BRU at my shower. The thing is an absolute godsend and it was only (I think?) around $35!  She absolutely loves being snuggled up close and I can have my hands free to do just about anything while she naps/hangs out in there and everyone is happy :-)  I would definitely recommend looking into wearing her!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    roo1ooroo1oo member
    Swaddle, baby wear, skin to skin all help. But even at my son's age, I still equate being held to a real need - closeness is excellent for bonding for both of you. Pick her up and hold her when she needs it. If you need a break have a family member hold her for awhile. 
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DH and I swapped holding her for the first week or so, then she started allowing us to put her down.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"