Breastfeeding
Options

over supply

My baby was born on 5/20 and my supply started out very minimal.  Baby was nursing around the clock.  Now, I have a TON of milk.  I can pump after a feeding and still get 8 - 10 oz.  I'm not sure if this is good or bad.  It seems like sometimes baby is gagging and choking during feedings because of let down and then throwing up after feedings (my thought is he ate too much).  I try not to pump too much, but DS only eats on one side and then my other breast is left full, engorged, heavy and totally uncomfortable.  I love that I am pumping and getting a back up supply, but what happens on a day when I have to go run errands or do something and I can't pump constantly… I need to ease off a bit without messing with what DS needs.  Has anyone ever dealt with this before? I know it doesn't seem like that big of a problem, but it is very uncomfortable to have engorged breasts that are constantly leaking everywhere.  Thoughts?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: over supply

• Options
    I know it will be hard, but try not to pump. If you find that you are super engorged hand express until you are comfortable. Baby will regulate your milk supply and after a few days it should settle down. If you continue to pump the unused side you are telling your body you have two babies to feed and therefore will continue to make the extra milk.

• Options
    I went through this. I tried not to pump but I would be in so much pain. I ended up having to pump just enough to take the edge off. About an ounce. These ladies are right though. The more you pump the worse it will be. It took me about a week to fix my OS problem.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ice will help with the pain.

As for feeding, try feeding lying flat, that will slow down your supply.

I had serious engorgment when my milk came in, took 3 uncomfortable days to settle down.  Keep pumping to a minimum, and good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you guys! I am trying not to pump but it is painful! I haven't pumped today yet which I'm proud of but my breasts are rock hard! Hopefully it gets better soon!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"