Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Do I open gifts at an open house?

My baby's first birthday is a week away, and though I only invited my closest friends and family, I'm still expecting about 25 or so. With temps now in the triple digits, I'm limited to indoors, so I am doing it open house style (which my friends and family agreed was a great idea because they know the size of my house.) So all the details are coming along fine, but I'm falling short on one question: how to handle gifts? Do I have my baby open up each person's gift as they arrive so that they can watch her reaction? Or do I open them after the party? My friends and family have informally agreed to stagger their arrival times, with relatives arriving early and friends later; should I try opening the gifts in batches? I tried googling gift etiquette for the hostess at open houses, but fell short. 

Re: Do I open gifts at an open house?

• I think Open House type things are incredibly tacky. However, open gifts as your guests drop by. It's rude to set them aside for later.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I think an open house is a great idea- we also have a small house and could never fit a party inside if everyone came at the same time... I would say open them little by little and save the peoples who come later and will stay awhile for the end, if you know they aren't staying long open it but if they will be hanging around open them all together
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • edited June 2014

I think Open House type things are incredibly tacky. However, open gifts as your guests drop by. It's rude to set them aside for later.

Why do you think open houses are tacky?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"