Third-Party Reproduction

New to the board

Hi everyone!  I'm new to the forum but wanted to introduce myself (and was suggested on another board to post here).  My name is Liz and I'm 34- married for almost 3 years (come August).  My husband and I started trying for a baby a few months after getting married and had a chemical pregnancy a few months later- dr said this was normal and to keep trying- so we did for a few more months.  I just felt something wasn't right- all my friends were getting pregnant no problem- so I decided to see a RE.  I was diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve and given the donor egg talk.  Talk about being caught off guard- NOT what I was expecting to hear at 32!  Thankfully I have insurance that does help with infertility treatments, but they required 3 IUIs before approving anything IVF related.  So 3 IUIs back to back is what we did- May/June/July 2012- and though I always had 4-5 follicles- we had a BFN each time.  So we moved on to IVF- our first IVF we only had 3 eggs retrieved and only 1 made it blast- we transferred that blast and unfortunately it ended up becoming a ruptured ectopic.  I had to have emergency surgery and lost my right tube and required a blood transfusion.  I tried to stay positive- thinking who cares about losing a tube- I don't need it anyways since IVF is probably the only way we are going to conceive.  But it still was a shock to have an ectopic pregnancy- because I seriously didn't even think of that being you are bypassing the tubes! ANYWAYS- moved to another clinic and since Dec 2012 to now we did 3 retrievals and 2 transfers.  First transfer was BFN and last transfer (this past January) ended up being a miscarriage at around 7 weeks and required a D&C.  So we currently have 3- 3 day embryos frozen which we will hopefully be transferring soon- but I have little faith it will work.  Obviously my eggs are no good so I feel like what's the point- BUTTTTTT my hubby wants to transfer them since they're our last embryos- so that's what we'll do.  If this doesn't work we are trying to move on to donor embryos- though we've hit snags with that.  I was in talks with 2 families- 1 family ended up finding another match (though if I'm honest it really made me mad/sad/hurt/jealous at that time that she chose to donate to a lady that already has 8 kids- while my hubby and I have none)  but I know deep down she wanted a really open relationship with whomever she donated to and open relationship with the future kids- and I don't think I gave her enough confirmation that we'd be ok with a 100% open relationship.  We are still in the works with this 2nd family- however their clinic is making it very hard to transfer ownership to me- and my clinic won't take them until they are technically "mine"…SOOOO yet another roadblock.  I'm joining this group in hopes to find support and positive reinforcement…because let's face it- infertility is a total drag, life consuming DOWNER at times.  I try to stay positive and then BAM my mind goes to another place- why me?  why have we spent 20K to have a kid and still have none?  Why have I had to not only endure failure month after month but also an ectopic, loss of a tube, a d&c, etc.  But obviously if I only focused on that I'd probably never get out of bed!  I need to keep my eye on the prize, right!??   I would love for my husband and I to have a 100% biologically our child- but that seems unrealistic.  I'd love to do donor eggs so the kiddos are at least biologically related to my husband- but it's too darn expensive!!  I've thought about going overseas for donor eggs- but what if it didn't work?  Just more money spent for failure.  So that's how I came to the decision of embryo adoption/donation. I feel that there are so many totsicles frozen away with such potential that I want to be able to give life to a baby that might have only sat frozen for years to come.  My husband and I always said we'd donate any extra embryos we had after treatment because we know the heartache infertility has brought- and the amazing gift that would be to someone struggeling- but we obviously never had extras. So that's where I'm at- and hopefully I've not bored you to tears.  I've wanted kids my whole life and I just have this picture in my mind of being pregnant (sick and all, swollen feet and all, hard labor and all) and the idea of that not happening is really hard to swallow.  So hoping me talking about our situation will bring us peace on our path- wherever that happens to lead us!  Thanks ladies!  

TTC #1 Since Oct 2011 

ME (34): DOR. AMH <.16
DH (35): low side of normal on everything

May, June, and July 2012 IUIs- all BFN
4 IVFs- resulting in ectopic and miscarriage at 7 weeks
HSG clear, SHG no issues from miscarriage, we get eggs (odd with such a low AMH) but the embryos just aren't good.
Moving on to donor embryos

Re: New to the board

• Welcome! I'm so sorry you've had such a tough journey to date and wish you all the best.

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

• Welcome to the board! I am sorry for your losses and struggles! It is a very tough road.

One quick question - with pregnancies and repeated losses, was a gestational carrier a consideration?
    For me I have DOR, but could get pregnant with IVF but had repeated losses. We are 18w using a gestational carrier with own embies (they were totsicles too!). 

Regardless, welcome to the board!
    TTC #1 since 12/2010 DH: MFI, cancer survivor Me: Resected septate uterus, lap treated mild endo, tubes open, ovulate on own, autoimmune disease 3 Failed IUI's (2/2012, 4/2012, 6/2012) 
    IVF #1 August 2012. BFP! Beta #1 56.7 Beta #2 150 One baby, one heartbeat on 9/20/12! no h/b @7w6d. dandc @8w0d
    FET #1 December 2012, BFN
    FET #2 February 2013, no embies survived thaw
    IVF #2, BFP #2, Loss #2 March 2013, Scar tissue discovered, RPL testing,
    IVF #3, BFP #3, Loss #3 (twins) September 2013
    Hostile ute, moving onto Gestational Carrier!

GC/FET #1 of 1 5AA blast and 1 compacted blast, February 2014, BFP #4 on 3/1/2014!
    6w u/s 1 bean with h/b of 145 bpm, 8w u/s 187 bpm
    EDD 11/7/14. Please, please, please stick little one!

Praying unceasingly for a miracle. ALL welcome!

• Loading the player...
  • Welcome and good luck with whichever road you choose!

TTC #1 since May 2010

OE IVF #1  9/2/13 Cancelled- poor response

DE IVF #1 3/12/14- BFP 3/17/14- ectopic, right tube removed 4/11/14 @ 7 weeks

DE FET #1 7/3/14-Transferred 2 5AA 6 day embryos Beta 7/13/14 BFN

DE FET #2 9/5/14-Transferred 2 4BB 5 day embryos Beta 9/15/14 BFN

DE FET #3 in December- Cancelled, didn't respond to meds

DE FET #3 (2nd try) 2/13/15- Transferred 1 4BB and 1 4BA 5 day embryos Beta 2/23/15  BFN again (CP)

DE FET #4 - last 2 frosties....5/22/15- Transferred 1 4BA embryo...only one frostie thawed properly.  Beta scheduled for 6/1-  BFN (beta 2, 2.81, 6, 23, 49.4) 6/15/15 Discovered ectopic in left tube.  Methotrexate given. Moving on to a new donor. Hoping to transfer by the end of the year.

Cant find a donor that is healthy and available.  Looking at being happy with just the two of us.

• @lincoln79- we haven't thought about a GC yet.  The dr.'s seem to think the loss was due to chromosomal issue (though no tests were done) since it was slow growth at each appointment and we saw a heartbeat and then nothing a week later.  I just reallllly want to experience a pregnancy and birth so I guess I've not come to terms that just might not be our road to baby.  I'm happy for you though!!  How exciting..and thanks for the words of wisdom- might be something that needs to be on the list of options!

TTC #1 Since Oct 2011 

HSG clear, SHG no issues from miscarriage, we get eggs (odd with such a low AMH) but the embryos just aren't good.
  • Welcome! It's sounds like you've faced quite a few obstacles on this journey but through it all your end goal of carrying still seems possible. Is embryo adoption less expensive than using an egg donor? That isn't something I looked into, we jumped right in to ED. Just curious :) 

Good luck with your next steps!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Married September 3, 2011 | TTC since May 2013
    Me: Diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2013, underwent fertility sparing surgery which left low ovarian reserve, no tubes, partial ovary | DH: perfectly normal 
    BFP: 5/30/2014 via donor eggs | EDD: 2/6/2015
  • Welcome! I am PG with twins via donor embryos and am so grateful for this option. I'm sure it was hard to see those embryos go to a family with 8 kids! We had a match fall through before deciding to go with anonymous donation and it seems like the best fit for us. The right situation will work out for you. :)

***signature & ticker warning***

Me: 30 ~ Stage IV Endo ~ AMH .38 ~ AFC 8
    AMH .97 as of 4/2012! ~ AMH 1.63 as of 4/2013!?!

Him: 29 ~ perfect swimmers

Laparotomy w/partial oophorectomy 8/2009 to remove cysts/endo.
    Stopped BCP 4/2010.
    Multiple clomid rounds from 11/2010 to 6/2011. ~ All BFN
    IUI w/clomid 7/2011. IUI w/clomid & injectables 11/2011 & 1/2012. ~ All BFN

IVF:EPP 5/2012 ~ (4R, 3M, 2F w/ICSI). Both embryos txfrd. ~ BFN
    BCP to manage endo from 10/2012 to 12/2012.
    FET w/donor embryos #1: 10/2013 Cancelled
    FET w/donor embryos #1.2: 11/2013
    ~ ET of 2 beautiful blasts on 11/27.
    Beta 1: 503(12dp5dt) Beta 2: 1035(14dpt) Beta 3: 3001(16dpt)
    Beta 4: 8503(19dpt)
    Twins with an EDD of 8/15/14! Team Purple
    G&B born 6/30/14 at 33w3d via emergency c/s.

If you're wondering about my avatar...it's a fried pickle chip shaped like a fetus!

• @jessarab- embryo donation is normally a lot cheaper than donor eggs- but there is normally long waits and the dealing with the fact the child/children have no genetic attachment to either parent..which being I knew we would at least need donor eggs I came to terms with not being biologically related to my future babies- but it took my hubby some time to come around to the idea.  I would love to do donor eggs but it's just too extensive after 3 IUIs and 4 IVFs (even w/ insurance help)- I sure hope something works out.  and CONGRATS on your pregnancy.  @doubleportion- congrats on the twins!  I've called around to the AZ clinics and only 2 clinics have an actual program (that of course have long waits)- the other ones say they don't do anything and that people looking to donate their embryos would have to find a route for that- so the chances of me having any luck with them would be unlikely unless someone knew of me and were wanting to donate their embryos.  SOOOOO I will keep on looking!! ;)

TTC #1 Since Oct 2011 

• Welcome! I've added you to our weekly check-in. Please join in! :)
    Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"