Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Fear of removing bandaids and patches

My DD turned 3 in January and has recently developed an irrational fear of having bandaids removed.  Like all kids she loves to have them on but is terrified of having them removed.  This morning my mom took one off of herself and my DD started sobbing crying.  I am not sure how to help her with this.  It wouldn't be such a big issue but she was recently diagnosed with amblyopia and has to wear a patch on her left eye for 2 hours each day.  The patches are adhesive like bandaids.  It has gotten to the point where once she has the patch on she flinches if I walk near her.  And I can hear her mumbling "don't take my patch" to herself.  

Her behavior has gone a bit over the top with this and I'm really not sure what to do.  I know she needs the patch to strengthen her eye but she is acting traumatized with this.  I've talked to the doctor and they want us to keep working on it because non-adhesive patches do not block light or vision enough.  Has anyone had an issue with bandaids like this?  Or a trick they use to remove them?  Or just how they dealt with an irrational fear?  I'm having a hard time continuing because she seems afraid of me.  I would appreciate any feedback.  Thanks!

Re: Fear of removing bandaids and patches

• Options
    LSU628LSU628 member
    Poor baby! The only thing I could think of that might help is having her take a shower or bath to see if the moisture would make the adhesive easier to remove. I'm not sure how old she is, but would she be able to take it off herself?
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions.  I will definitely look into that remover.  She might go for that.  I think she could take off her own patch but wouldn't because she is so afraid.  We have taken a little break from patching for her but need to get back into it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD sometimes acts this way too. What i do apart from the showering trick mentioned by a PP, i also try getting some cutesy band aids that i offer her. I ask her to choose which one could replace her exisiting band aid

i love you, my little mooncake mahal kita

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • Options
    A kid came up with an ouch-less band aid remover. I say it on one of the day time news shows. I don't remember the name, but you might be able to find it online. I would imagine having an adhesive patch taken off your face daily would hurt!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Regular lotion/moisturizer around the edges of the bandaid might also help loosen the adhesive. Add a little more under the bandaid/patch as you lift.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"