Multiples

BFing Two in Public

I have a bit of a weird question. So, I FF DD pretty much from the beginning, but I'd like to try BFing these babies like I did with DD. (I could've tried harder with her, but that's another story.)

Anyways, how do you BF two in public? I was always anxious/shy about BFing one in public, so how does it work with two? A huge nursing cover or something else? Thanks!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: BFing Two in Public

• I haven't figured out tandem in public. I still need the twin breast friend pillow to tandem feed them--not very discreet!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Also considering my options on this. At this point I figure single feedings in public is probably going to be what I pick. I plan to tandem feed at home and with family and friends, but I have a hard time imagining doing that while in a booth at a resturant.
  • Loading the player...
  • AshB62 said:

I always nurse one at a time in public. I mostly nurse one at a time at home too, but we tandem occasionally. I can't imagine trying to tandem in public.

Same here.
    Married 8/2008. IVF with PGD March 2013.
    3/22 ER: 25R, 20M, 15F. 9 genetically normal, and 3 survived to Day 5
    3/27 ET: transferred 1 embryo, beta 9dp5dt=163, 12dp5dt=639
    4/25 1st ultrasound at 7 weeks = identical twins with heartbeats?!!!
    PPROM at 31w, delivery at 32 weeks of two beautiful girls
  • Yeah tandem feeding in public seems crazy, but I wasn't sure what people do.

@AshB62 Do you find not tandem feeding at home leaves you attached to them constantly though? That's what I was worried about especially with my older DD, just constantly feeding the babies and having no time to do much else.

I've totally been overthinking everything about when they get here! 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • lks18lks18 member
    I was wondering about this as well so thanks for asking @shanaynerz‌.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • For us, what worked changed as they got older. I successfully tandemed once in public when they were maybe 2-3mo old but it was a secluded area (at the zoo) and I didn't use a cover. It was awkward to say the least.

I have tandemed in our car. That wasn't so bad at all and worked really well from about 4-7mo. I def needed help with positioning - couldn't do it on my own. They got too wiggly after that.

It is BY FAR the easiest to just nurse one at a time in public. We tandem almost exclusively at home and it is just easier to do one at a time when you're out.

• I've always done one at a time in public. But I really didn't take to tandem feeding anyway. I like one at a time better, like pp's. You'll get your own rhythm with it and find what you like best. Just be relaxed about and don't force anything. I was really hard on myself for not doing tandem. And forget putting it all together when out and about. If it works for you and you're comfortable, go for it. I think it's awesome when twin moms can do it. But if it isn't, then do what works for you.
  • As above tandem feeding only at home and one at a time in public. I don't often tandem feed unless both r in desperate need of a feed or at night time. And more tandem in the beginning so I'd learn to do it and spend less time feeding
  • I EBF and I don't usually nurse in public (not including at church in a mothers lounge). I have in my car a few times but usually I would plan ahead to be home to feed them. I'm not super comfortable nursing in public even with a nursing cover. We don't tandem all the time, only right before bed and sometimes if I'm in a hurry to leave somewhere we tandem to save time. I never felt like I always had a baby attached to me. My boys only take 10-15 mins tops to eat so its not that big of a deal to just solo nurse. Plus right now they get so distracted by eachother when we tandem that i usuaully end up solo feeding anyways after we attempt to tandem. I personally would not try tandem nursing in public because I too need my twin Brest friend pillow to tandem and that would be much more of a hassle then just feeding them separately.

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There wasn't much going out in public when they were little.  I would mostly just feed them at home and then go out for an hour or two and come home before they needed to eat again. 

Mom to 3 wonderful girls:
    Eva, born on 1/2/11
    Celia and Lily, born on 5/17/13
  • I would tandem in semi-public when they were little (mom and baby yoga class, la leche league meetings, etc), places I didnt mind being a bit exposed.  They nursed a lot as little babies so it was hard to go to that kind of thing and avoid it
    Once they were older I pretty much only nursed one at a time in public.  I think once when they were about a year and we were traveling and having a hard time I tandem nursed them in a corner in the airport.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"