Breastfeeding

***Calling all EPers!!!***

I think not having a check-in this week is getting people down.  :(  I've been reading lots of talk of quitting - which is totally fine, but it makes me sad to hear that people are having it rough.  I have to admit that I've been thinking about the end of pumping myself over the holidays.  It has been rough being home all day with DD by myself and trying to get things acomplished and making time to pump. 

So let's write some positive advice to people who are having it rough right now!

Re: ***Calling all EPers!!!***

• Hello all!  I hear you about feeling like quitting during the holidays- it's tough to sneak away 5-8 times a day for about a half hour while the family all has fun - but we're almost through the holidays so if you gotten this far - go you!!  I view it like my part time job b/c formula costs so much - my friend spends $210 a week on formula - I couldn't imagine that!  Whenever I feel down about my situation, I go to youtube and watch 99 red balloons - and just feel so blessed about my situation that pumping doesn't seem so bad at all.  :-)
  • Don't give up!!

I was about to give up EPing at 5 months and I was SO sick of pumping! Instead, I got help and got Scarlett back on the breast!

Looking back, I would have kept pumping even if the breast thing never worked or never happened.  I'd EP all over again knowing what I know now about how hard it is.  I worked my ass of EPing and now trying to BF so far in.  But, it's all been worth it 10 fold.

Just know that the time and frustration is temporary.  And, if you can't make your goal, know that you've done an amazing thing for your baby. Not every mom chooses to EP when BFing doesn't work out.  It definitley is the road less travelled and I think it is something to be proud of.

Bunny 05.2008//mc 9.2009//Bubba 07.2010//mc 10.2011//
    Bloggin' It
  • Loading the player...
  • I try to get a couple of phone calls in while I am pumping. My family and friends always say "are you pumping" cause they can hear it in the background. When I tell them yes, they say "good for you, that's gotta be a lot of work. Emma is real lucky to have you as a mom". That makes me feel sooooooooo much better and motivates me to keep going. Tomorrow will be five months. I NEVER thought I would last this long, but I have and I'm proud!!
  • Best advice ever:  Never quit on a bad day!

Also, for those new to pumping and who are worried about keeping up their pumping schedule when you return to work - I find it easier to EP and work.  I have 3 set times for pumping during the day (I teach) and I have to stick to those because there's no other time to do it.  Also I don't have to worry about entertaining DD.  And I get to nest at work while I'm pumping instead of listening to stupid teacher gossip in the lounge (they just piss me off this year for some reason).  Anyways for me, pumping at work = fun.  :)

• I am a retired EPer but I just wanted to cheer all of you on.  EPing may be the hardest thing I have ever done, but I did it, and you all are doing it, for the sake of our children.  One thing that I always did was give myself permission to quit.  Once I did that I lost a lot of the guilt and for some reason it made it easier to keep on going.  I know the clogged ducts, mastitis, crying babies, and sleepless nights make it roough, but you can do it!!!!

Congratulations on how ever long you have been EPing!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I hear everyone about having a rough time, I have had my share. I feel that all of the work has absolutely been worth it.

Several things keep me going:

1. DS is thriving! He is in the 97th percentile for height and weight. He is so happy and content and is never fussy or gassy.

2. The immunity factor. The flu was passed around my family. DH and I both got sick, as did my mother who came over to help us out with DS. DS was the only one to stay healthy throughout the whole ordeal. Yay breastmilk!!

3. The money we are saving.

4. Being able to just toss DS's diapers in the washer instead of having to rinse first (BF babies poop is water soluble).

5. I feel that I have made it this far, despite some very hard struggles... so that motivates me to keep it up even longer.

GL to everyone and I hope it gets easier for those having problems! Try your best but don't beat yourself up over it. Formula isn't poison! We all do the best we can!

• I set small goals for myself.  My first goal was when I went back to work at 8.5 weeks; my next goal was Thanksgiving (ds turned 3 months), and then Christmas (~4 mos).  Now my goal is his 6 month birthday, and I'm pretty sure I can make it.  After that dh and I will figure out what we're going to do together.  Our initial long term goal was 6 months, which gets us through the heart of cold/flu season (end of february).  Dh had all sorts of ear infection issues as a baby, and if I can prevent those I will be happier.

Every time I get down in the dumps, I remind myself that my son seems to be able to tell the difference between my milk and formula (he gets a funny look on his face).  He loves feeding time, and he's getting closer to being able to really hold his own bottle.  I'm doing it for him, and I am really proud of what I've been able to accomplish.  Even my pedi is impressed with my discipline.  That sense of pride has really helped me out. 

Also, I would have never been able to get where I am without my uber supportive dh.  He has been able to take care of DS, and often they'll come in while I'm pumping at the computer and cheer me on by saying "more magic milk, more magic milk!!!"  It makes me laugh and smile, and we have our own family bonding time. 

• imagelinzpinz14:

Best advice ever:  Never quit on a bad day!

Also, for those new to pumping and who are worried about keeping up their pumping schedule when you return to work - I find it easier to EP and work.  I have 3 set times for pumping during the day (I teach) and I have to stick to those because there's no other time to do it.  Also I don't have to worry about entertaining DD.  And I get to nest at work while I'm pumping instead of listening to stupid teacher gossip in the lounge (they just piss me off this year for some reason).  Anyways for me, pumping at work = fun.  :)

Linz, you and I have a ton in common!  EPing gets me away from some of the catty-ness, and my one day/week of lunch duty.  I teach school too. 

That being said, ditto everything she said.  My supply increased by about 8 ozs/day when I went back to work.  The structure of working helped me out tremendously, along with pumping while driving 2, sometimes 3-4 times/day. 

• imagemonica3245:
    I try to get a couple of phone calls in while I am pumping. My family and friends always say "are you pumping" cause they can hear it in the background. When I tell them yes, they say "good for you, that's gotta be a lot of work. Emma is real lucky to have you as a mom". That makes me feel sooooooooo much better and motivates me to keep going. Tomorrow will be five months. I NEVER thought I would last this long, but I have and I'm proud!!

Definitely. My family and friends are the same and it makes me feel very proud to be making the sacrifice for DS. I won't have to pump forever, but DS will forever see the benefits.

• Ditto what coastie said.  I was begining to loathe pumping.  But I finally got to a point where I was comfortable with the idea of nursing again and it's working!  She a great BFer.  And just as coastie said, I would continue EPing even if it hadn't worked.

I don't say this to put down FFing moms or people who quit EPing, but I'm proud of how hard I've worked to give DD breast milk.  I think its made me stronger and I'm so proud of the fact that she hasn't had a drop of formula.

imageCoastieWife08:

Don't give up!!

I was about to give up EPing at 5 months and I was SO sick of pumping! Instead, I got help and got Scarlett back on the breast!

Looking back, I would have kept pumping even if the breast thing never worked or never happened.  I'd EP all over again knowing what I know now about how hard it is.  I worked my ass of EPing and now trying to BF so far in.  But, it's all been worth it 10 fold.

Just know that the time and frustration is temporary.  And, if you can't make your goal, know that you've done an amazing thing for your baby. Not every mom chooses to EP when BFing doesn't work out.  It definitley is the road less travelled and I think it is something to be proud of.

• imagekel716:
    imagelinzpinz14:

Best advice ever:  Never quit on a bad day!

Linz, you and I have a ton in common!  EPing gets me away from some of the catty-ness, and my one day/week of lunch duty.  I teach school too. 

That being said, ditto everything she said.  My supply increased by about 8 ozs/day when I went back to work.  The structure of working helped me out tremendously, along with pumping while driving 2, sometimes 3-4 times/day. 

Ugh, I wish it would get me out of lunch duty!  I am always rushing the kids through the lines on Mondays so I can get back to my room to pump!  "Pick up those chicken nuggets a little faster!"  :)

• Think of the long-term gains, rather than the short-term pains.  (like, right now, I have to get pumping so I can go to bed ... I would love love love to skip it and just wake up at like, 5, so I can do it then.  But I know I'll hate myself if I do that because I am not a fan of getting up that early!).  Your long-term gain is to supply your child w/ your milk for as long as you can, because for whatever reason, bfing didn't work out.  You are giving your child SUCH a gift.  And, if you have lots of it, you're storing that for later.  The long term gains really do outweigh the short term pains, which are feeling like Millie Moo, being a slave to the pump, having to always know what time it is, arranging your schedule to fit in your pumping, bringing your pump with you when you're going to be gone for extended periods of time.  You need to have understanding friends/family for sure.

It is very hard to pump when you have a new baby.  I never would have made it outside of a month without my husband.  He works from home so he was here.  But once Alyssa started to get older, and I was used to my new routine of feeding her, pumping, etc. I figured out how to arrange my schedule so that she was either sleeping or otherwise entertained when I had to pump.  Now, I can easily hold off pumping if I need to and be more flexible w/ it, or if she's dry and fed, I can put her in her exersaucer for 15 minutes while I pump.  What a visual for my poor child.  .)

If you don't want to quit, but feel like you just can't do this anymore, reconsider.  But if you have hit your wall, and you know you're ready to stop, please remind yourself you did an amazing thing.

• imageDaniel's Mama:

imagemonica3245:
    I try to get a couple of phone calls in while I am pumping. My family and friends always say "are you pumping" cause they can hear it in the background. When I tell them yes, they say "good for you, that's gotta be a lot of work. Emma is real lucky to have you as a mom". That makes me feel sooooooooo much better and motivates me to keep going. Tomorrow will be five months. I NEVER thought I would last this long, but I have and I'm proud!!

Definitely. My family and friends are the same and it makes me feel very proud to be making the sacrifice for DS. I won't have to pump forever, but DS will forever see the benefits.

DH is very very supportive.  But my family and friends think I am crazy.  So I use that as motivation to keep pumping and prove them wrong.  I'm stubborn like that.  :)

• imagelinzpinz14:

Ugh, I wish it would get me out of lunch duty!  I am always rushing the kids through the lines on Mondays so I can get back to my room to pump!  "Pick up those chicken nuggets a little faster!"  :)

Well... ours is a 25 minute lunch with just 9th graders (~500 of them).  It's more about don't throw that, don't lean back in your chair, stay in your seat, and go put your tray up.  Also, I have 1st period plan... so I have no break during the day and my principal must oblige.  In some ways it's my motivation because I loathe watching 9th graders eat.  I think when ds is 2, he'll be better behaved than some of these kids.... 

• I think about quitting every day.  But what I finally did was work out a schedule that did work for me.  I now only pump 4 times a day.  Right now, I make enough milk for her with just those 4.   I told myself that I needed to find a schedule I could actually live with.  If it gets to a point where I have to supplement, I will.  But any more than 4 was getting me so down and frustrated.  4 I can live with, we're all happier and more stress free.  My original goal was 3 months.  Two weeks ago I said I was stopping at Christmas (this was prior to my move to 4).  Now 3 months seems doable again.  After that I'll go in 1-month increments.  Every time I think about quitting altogether I just ask myself if we're all better off with or without me pumping.  Two weeks ago we were def. better without.  Now, with a better schedule, we're better off with.  It's such a mental game, getting through this.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH is very very supportive.  But my family and friends think I am crazy.  So I use that as motivation to keep pumping and prove them wrong.  I'm stubborn like that.  :)

My parents, sister, husband, and friends are so supportive.  I think my ILs are too.  But my MIL, as much as I love her, doesn't get it.  She has made a few comments over the last 8 months about how she doesn't understand how I can do that, and she has "spoken for" Alyssa, saying things like, "Just give me some Similac!"  or "Formula will do just fine!"  I wish she wouldn't because I feel like it degrades what I'm doing, but whatever.

• MB sent this to me. I have been thinking about quitting too. I am tired. Worn out. We keep getting sick from my step sons. I just feel so tired of it and tired of having to rush when I am out and about to get back to do it.I got a nasty clog my supply went down by half and never came back and I cant hands free pump because it clogs me.

So here are my positives. I am doing this great thing for her. She drinks the BM so much easier then FF and it doesnt effect her reflux as bad. So I am going to keep going thanks for this post it is what I needed. You ladies hanging in there are all doing a great job!!!

• Late, but I agree with not quitting on a bad day. I allow myself one bad day a month - I will *** to everyone that will listen, and overall just be a grouch.

But ultimately, it's like getting your haircut when you're having an emotional day....you just don't do it because you'll end up with a blue mohawk, you know, because your long blond hair just wasn't doing it for you anymore.

• Wow , ladies this is so encouraging to read. I am only barley 1 week of EPing because she was 3 weeks early and just falls asleep and wont latch or suck for more than 2-3 sucks. I never thought I would have to EP but knowing she is still getting my breast milk makes me happy Thanks for the inspiring stories so I know I can keep it up too.
  • i just went down to pumping four times a day- life is so much better. hard to believe that i was pumping 12x a day in the beginning.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"