April 2013 Moms
Options

UO

Anything good this week?

My vent. I'm waiting at the dealership for service work on my car. Some lady is 3 hole punching shit while waiting for her car. Seriously? There are some things that are sufficiently annoying/loud/weird, that they shouldn't be done in the waiting room of a car dealership. This is one of those things. I'll also add clipping your nails to that list because, eww.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: UO

• Options
    Kate_CKate_C member

I think Mariah Carey sucks

Really digging deep for that one @clgsquared‌
    8-|
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Mine - 
    I think it is tacky to have a second wedding just because you regretted how you dressed at the first wedding.  1) Why waste your money?  2) technically it's not a wedding the second time around, you can't magically say "oh, we're magically not married so we can get married again" 

There are many valid reasons to do a vow renewal after a courthouse or other quick marriage ceremony (ex - pre-deployment with the chaplain, family member extremely ill), but simply because you regret what you wore is silly to me. 

^^^ Who does THAT?

I'll raise your UO...I think it's tacky to have a big second wedding at all. Example...my 28 year old step sister who just got divorced from her first husband after 2 years of marriage, and is now getting married AGAIN to someone she has dated for 6 months. She is having another giant, overblown wedding this fall.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Erin10408 said:

Mine - 
    I think it is tacky to have a second wedding just because you regretted how you dressed at the first wedding.  1) Why waste your money?  2) technically it's not a wedding the second time around, you can't magically say "oh, we're magically not married so we can get married again" 

There are many valid reasons to do a vow renewal after a courthouse or other quick marriage ceremony (ex - pre-deployment with the chaplain, family member extremely ill), but simply because you regret what you wore is silly to me. 

^^^ Who does THAT?

I'll raise your UO...I think it's tacky to have a big second wedding at all. Example...my 28 year old step sister who just got divorced from her first husband after 2 years of marriage, and is now getting married AGAIN to someone she has dated for 6 months. She is having another giant, overblown wedding this fall.

I'd agree with this, but what if this is her spouse's first marriage?  Maybe he wants his first wedding to be overblown??

Very good point. I would maybe feel differently if he really wanted the big wedding, but he has said several times that he doesn't. It's all her.

I suppose there are circumstances where I wouldn't think it was tacky. I think I'm just rolling my eyes at this whole thing because my stepsister is a Cee U Next Tuesday.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Kate_CKate_C member

Kate_C said:

Really digging deep for that one @clgsquared‌
    8-|

I could go with: I think people who are afraid of the homosexual population having the same rights as everyone else are absolutely ridiculous.  Better?

Goal = UNpopular opinion. Still striking out, at least with me! I agree on all counts.
  • Options
    Kate_C said:
    Really digging deep for that one @clgsquared‌ 8-|
    I could go with: I think people who are afraid of the homosexual population having the same rights as everyone else are absolutely ridiculous.  Better?
    Is this really unpopular on this board??? I don't think it is.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    I'm full of them this week. It's the end of the school year... Anyway, I think that people that say that they don't care how they look are lying. To me it seems like a "sour grapes" kind of mind set. I can't achieve so I just say that I don't care keep from perceived failure.

Don't get it twisted... I'm not trying to impart any standard of beauty because I do believe that beauty is purely subjective.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I am going to go off a post from Facebook yesterday because I'm curious how the ladies over here feel- here is the link if you haven't seen it: https://www.salon.com/2014/06/03/the_day_i_left_my_son_in_the_car/ I don't think it's okay to ever leave your kid in the car. I don't care what the temperature, situation or circumstance. And I'm not talking about walking your cart to the cart corral at store, unloading groceries at home etc. I'm talking about unsupervised and un attended. I didn't think this would be a UO but apparently it is with some people. If people had the chance I would've been crucified by some of the 'pregnant chicken' posters on Facebook. Holy hell ETA: I am normally a very chill, laid back, laissez faire parent but this is just something that is very taboo to me
    That article - sigh! TL;DR...I kinda skimmed it. I agree, it's NEVER okay to leave your child in the car. 

BFP #2: 11-7-14, CP (BFN: 11-13-14)

BFP #3: 3/24/15 EDD: 12/5/15

• Options
    edited June 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Kate_CKate_C member
    Jdubb13 said:

Kate_C said:

Another one: I don't get the appeal of rompers on adults.

I have two and love them! They're so comfy and I'll probably wear them a lot this summer since they're loose and hide my stomach.

Does it have snaps in the crotch to pee, like in kids' clothes? Or do you have to strip down to go to the bathroom?

• Options
    Kate_C said:
    Kate_C said:
    I have two and love them! They're so comfy and I'll probably wear them a lot this summer since they're loose and hide my stomach.
    Does it have snaps in the crotch to pee, like in kids' clothes? Or do you have to strip down to go to the bathroom?

You have to strip naked to pee, and although it's one of the few pairs of "shorts" that I can pull off I don't usually wear them.  Maybe I should make one with snaps in the crotch, but I do think that they are super cute in the correct context.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Kate_C said:
    I think they're cute on super skinny people. However, I would only ever wear one if A) I lost 15 lbs and B) I was either at the pool or going to a bar.
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    I

@ceamac0127‌ I just skimmed the article and I agree--never would it cross my mind to leave my four year old in the car in that situation. Never. Like I've said in previous discussions, I feel comfortable with running in the house to grab something, or putting the cart away, but to go in the store? No way.
    If I am ever in a parking lot and see a small child alone in a car I will certainly be that "Good Samaritan" in the article, and would stay at the car until a parent returned. 

Eta after I finished reading it: I do think the person videotaping and calling the police in this situation could have handled it better given that particular situation, and just waited until the mom came back to the car. But I think the mom made a really poor judgment call here, and though the points on too much information and over parenting our children do raise good questions, this is one of a couple of parenting areas where I am 100% ok with being overprotective. Not worth the risk, IMO.

@ceamac0127‌ I just skimmed the article and I agree--never would it cross my mind to leave my four year old in the car in that situation. Never. Like I've said in previous discussions, I feel comfortable with running in the house to grab something, or putting the cart away, but to go in the store? No way.
    If I am ever in a parking lot and see a small child alone in a car I will certainly be that "Good Samaritan" in the article, and would stay at the car until a parent returned. 

Eta after I finished reading it: I do think the person videotaping and calling the police in this situation could have handled it better given that particular situation, and just waited until the mom came back to the car. But I think the mom made a really poor judgment call here, and though the points on too much information and over parenting our children do raise good questions, this is one of a couple of parenting areas where I am 100% ok with being overprotective. Not worth the risk,

IMO.
    I don't even think the author felt good about her decision but to me the article was more about the overreaction that occurred as a result.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    JSS1002 said:

I

Eta after I finished reading it: I do think the person videotaping and calling the police in this situation could have handled it better given that particular situation, and just waited until the mom came back to the car. But I think the mom made a really poor judgment call here, and though the points on too much information and over parenting our children do raise good questions, this is one of a couple of parenting areas where I am 100% ok with being overprotective. Not worth the risk, IMO.

Eta after I finished reading it: I do think the person videotaping and calling the police in this situation could have handled it better given that particular situation, and just waited until the mom came back to the car. But I think the mom made a really poor judgment call here, and though the points on too much information and over parenting our children do raise good questions, this is one of a couple of parenting areas where I am 100% ok with being overprotective. Not worth the risk,

IMO.
    I don't even think the author felt good about her decision but to me the article was more about the overreaction that occurred as a result.

I personally would never feel comfortable waiting for the parent and confronting them about it. You NEVER know how that person will re act. And obviously depending on your state - she broke the law. Would you confront someone after they stole something from a store? Probably not. I will leave that to the police to handle

• Options
    Also wanted to add - once I was in the Target parking lot, getting Rhys out of the car when I glanced over at the car next to me and saw a baby in a car seat alone in the car. I stood by the car for a minute trying to decide what to do, and I definitely contemplated calling the police. However, just then the mom came back and said that she had just been putting the cart back. I was really relieved. I don't really think calling the police is an overreaction. People call the police for ANIMALS locked in cars, and this is a human child. However, if I were the Good Samaritan, I would have waited around for the police and/or the mom to get back to make sure the baby/child was okay.
    Amanda

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options

RE leaving kids in the car: after reading this article last year I am scarred for life.  I bawled for days.  NEVER.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/25/what-parent-leaves-child-in-broiling-car_n_3497956.html

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I am going to go off a post from Facebook yesterday because I'm curious how the ladies over here feel- here is the link if you haven't seen it: https://www.salon.com/2014/06/03/the_day_i_left_my_son_in_the_car/ I don't think it's okay to ever leave your kid in the car. I don't care what the temperature, situation or circumstance. And I'm not talking about walking your cart to the cart corral at store, unloading groceries at home etc. I'm talking about unsupervised and un attended. I didn't think this would be a UO but apparently it is with some people. If people had the chance I would've been crucified by some of the 'pregnant chicken' posters on Facebook. Holy hell ETA: I am normally a very chill, laid back, laissez faire parent but this is just something that is very taboo to me
    I read the whole article and thought it was excellent. I guess I will get flamed for this, but I don't think what she did merited anything like the punishment and hassle she got over it. I waited in the car plenty of times growing up in the Washington DC area and there was never a problem. I think the author is right that we are never ever allowed to leave kids unsupervised in today's world, and who the hell made that rule? I'll give another example: walking to school. Apparently kids aren't allowed to walk to and from school alone anymore. When I was a kid, my mom walked with me the first week of kindergarten and then I went to and fro by myself. I was allowed to walk almost a mile to and from the store alone at age 9. I played outside with friends and rode bikes for hours at a time. I started booking my own airline tickets (back when you still had to do it over the phone) when I was 16. I think this idea that kids are unable to do anything by and for themselves is ridiculous. If I am still in this house when my son starts school, I will walk him to and fro for kindergarten, but once he's in first grade, he can manage on his own.
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • Options
    JSS1002JSS1002 member
    edited June 2014
    danuli8 said:
    I read the whole article and thought it was excellent. I guess I will get flamed for this, but I don't think what she did merited anything like the punishment and hassle she got over it. I waited in the car plenty of times growing up in the Washington DC area and there was never a problem. I think the author is right that we are never ever allowed to leave kids unsupervised in today's world, and who the hell made that rule? I'll give another example: walking to school. Apparently kids aren't allowed to walk to and from school alone anymore. When I was a kid, my mom walked with me the first week of kindergarten and then I went to and fro by myself. I was allowed to walk almost a mile to and from the store alone at age 9. I played outside with friends and rode bikes for hours at a time. I started booking my own airline tickets (back when you still had to do it over the phone) when I was 16. I think this idea that kids are unable to do anything by and for themselves is ridiculous. If I am still in this house when my son starts school, I will walk him to and fro for kindergarten, but once he's in first grade, he can manage on his own.
    I'm with ya.  I walked from k-6 and my parents RARELY drove me or walked me - even when it was really cold out (I'm in MN).  That is how my childhood was too -- we'd leave the house on our bikes in the morning and maybe come back for lunch; neighborhood-wide games of Capture the Flag and night games until the sun went down. Nobody had a cell phone or needed to check in, we were just all over the place.

When we bought our house, one of the thingsI hoped for was a neighborhood where kids could still do that, and I THINK they might actually be able to pull that off here, but our neighborhood is pretty removed from other parts of town, brand new construction, everybody has kids about teh same age (babies and toddlers now), and they'll all grow up together. We have a FB page for the development so that parents can easily communicate with each other and we have gotten to know our neighbors that way. We are older than most people in the neighborhood and sometimes it shows, but hopefully we will all be able to look out for each other and each others kids enough to also give them the freedom to have fun!

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    cece2682 said:
    @Kate_C‌ your post made me lol. I never thought about the fact that you need to undress to pee while wearing a romper haha what a pain! And regarding the neighborhood/upbringing convo- I grew up the same way: riding bikes all day, going to get pizza and town fairs with friends, playing man hunt at night in the woods by our house and up the road. It was awesome. But sadly, times have changed a bit and the world is not exactly as it was, so no, LO will not have those same freedoms. I don't want to live in fear, but my sons life is worth more to me than him growing up exactly how i did. Can't be too careful, which means no, he won't be 6 and walking to school alone. No way Hosea. I will proudly be a helicopter mom.
    This is what I always wonder about though -- has the world actually changed that much, or do we just know more due to the 24-hour news cycle and widespread social media?  I mean, back when I was a kid, you wouldn't know instantly in 10 minutes when a kid 5 hours away was missing, and now it's on every amber alert and gets texted to phones, etc.  It isn't a BAD thing, I just wonder if the crime wasn't always there, we were just ignorant to it.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    jthree said:
    saxchloe said:
    cece2682 said:
    @Kate_C‌ your post made me lol. I never thought about the fact that you need to undress to pee while wearing a romper haha what a pain! And regarding the neighborhood/upbringing convo- I grew up the same way: riding bikes all day, going to get pizza and town fairs with friends, playing man hunt at night in the woods by our house and up the road. It was awesome. But sadly, times have changed a bit and the world is not exactly as it was, so no, LO will not have those same freedoms. I don't want to live in fear, but my sons life is worth more to me than him growing up exactly how i did. Can't be too careful, which means no, he won't be 6 and walking to school alone. No way Hosea. I will proudly be a helicopter mom.
    This is what I always wonder about though -- has the world actually changed that much, or do we just know more due to the 24-hour news cycle and widespread social media?  I mean, back when I was a kid, you wouldn't know instantly in 10 minutes when a kid 5 hours away was missing, and now it's on every amber alert and gets texted to phones, etc.  It isn't a BAD thing, I just wonder if the crime wasn't always there, we were just ignorant to it.

I was going to say the same thing. Crime rates are down. I don't think times have changed, I just think we are more aware. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.
    While I agree at times ignorance is bliss when it comes to my child's safety I don't want to be ignorant to that!
    Personally, I wouldn't mind hearing a little LESS about all the bad in the world and a little more about the good.  I know it's out there, but to have it in my face 24/7 gets overwhelming.  I'm not saying I'm going to be any less of a parent or change how I raise my daughter, but I wouldn't mind a little more ignorance.  There's a helluva lot more good in the world than bad, but all we hear is the bad.
    Sometimes I think that hearing about it all the time is what makes it worse - the news reports things so quickly (they have to, due to twitter and social media), that they often get details wrong and do a lot of fearmongering.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"