Baby Names
Options

name

McClaren for a girl. I realize it is a stroller brand name, but it is also a family name. Thoughts?

Re: name

• Options
    It sounds like a last name, a masculine one at that and yes, it is a stroller brand, and for those two reasons I wouldn't use it. NMS.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't like it.  I'm kind of anti any name that starts with Mc.  It just doesn't sound like a first name.
    Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't really like it for a first name.

What about the name McKenzie (or Makenzie) Claire? Kind of a spin off of the name Maclaren.

• Options
    imageandrea922:
    It sounds like a last name, a masculine one at that and yes, it is a stroller brand, and for those two reasons I wouldn't use it. NMS.
    Yes, exactly.
  • Options
    Sorry, nms. Sounds like an Irish surname, like Paddy O'Neal McClaren. It is unique, but I wouldn't have wanted to grow up with my first name as McClaren. Maybe use it as a middle name?
  • Options
    NMS. As much as I am sooooo over the name Makenzie, I agree that Makenzie Claire is a better alternative.

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • Options
    I don't like it.
  • Options
    How about Clare instead..
  • Options
    It doesn't really work as a first name.  I would suggest using it as a middle name instead.
  • Options
    Us it for a middle name
  • Options

I was afraid of getting a bunch of negative responses for that one. I have run it by several girlfriends and the responses have been positive.....maybe they are lying! ha! The name is a family name and means a lot to me on account of a grandma I am close to. I actually don't think it sounds strange at all, perhaps because I have had it as a possible name in the back of my mind for several years now. We'll see, thanks for your opinions even if it generated a thumbs down:)

I should say too that our last name is only 5 letters long (warranting a longer first name) and that I have thought of using "clare" as a possible nickname even though I have never been a fan of shortening a name.

• Options
    I'm not crazy about it. I have a friend whose maiden name is McWhorter. ?That's what she named her son, but they call him Mac.
  • Options
    It sounds like a last name and NOT a first name. It doesn't even sound feminine at all. Sorry, NMS.
  • Options

I am extremely anti Mc- names for girls, as Mc means 'son of' and it's just way too masculine for me. I think it would be an excellent middle name, though!

Elizabeth McClaren, for example, would give you a longer first name but still use it as a middle name.

imageimage

• Options
    I actually had a Mclaren in my class last year and maybe I'm biased because she was such a great kid, but I like it! I also like just Laren.
  • Options
    I actually know a girl with the first name McClaren.  It was a family name for her also.  She goes by Laren (lair-en).  It's a cute nn and really suits her.  I think only her family and really close friends know her full name.
  • Options
    To me it sounds more like a middle name.
  • Options

imageepphd:
    NMS. As much as I am sooooo over the name Makenzie, I agree that Makenzie Claire is a better alternative.

ditto this

• Options
    I like it much better as a middle name.
  • Options

I think as long as you have a nickname like Laren picked out, it works. My boss at my last job named his son MacLeod, and they call him Mac. It's interesting.

• Options
    Gay and trying too hard.
  • Options
    Not a huge fan, but I think it would make a great mn.
    April is National Grilled Cheese Month. How are you celebrating? image
  • Options
    Nope. Doesn't sound like a first name at all, plus it's just like the stroller.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"