Military Families

First PCS: Everything Goes Wrong

Sorry, this is one big vent. If anyone has any info or tricks to help me out, please let me know!

This is our first PCS and I'm due in less than two months. All of our stuff is packed in storage across the country. It's been over two month since my husband graduated RASP and I'm about ready to snap. I drove across the country 28 weeks pregnant with a carload of stuff because I'm well aware the Army takes it's time processing orders and I wanted to live with my husband and set up maternity care before I was too far along to do anything.

1. We can't get anything organized with transport because his orders were wrong in a number of different ways. 
2. His orders didn't have the clause stating that dependents couldn't go to RASP, so he has to amend those orders.
3. He can't in-process without those amended orders (and it's been 2 weeks since he was told they'd be amended and they haven't been).
4. We haven't been receiving spousal separation because apparently they thought I was coming to RASP, but I stayed in WA like I was told to do.
5. Finance can't help him until the orders are amended and he's in-processed.
6. They threatened to stop paying him because he's not in-processed, which he can't do because no one seems to know how to do their job.
7. HE'S TRIED EVERYTHING TO GET THESE ISSUES FIXED AND IT'S ALL DOWN TO CIVILIANS WHO ARE COMPLETELY CLUELESS AND LOVE TO TAKE THEIR SWEETASS TIME GETTING THINGS DONE. So our financial well-being and comfort of living is up in the air until people do their jobs in a timely manner AND correctly.  

Seriously, have any of you been through something similar? 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: First PCS: Everything Goes Wrong

• Wow, that sounds crazy. My husband is in the Navy, and last July, we were in Charleston, Sc and told we had to move to Saratoga Springs, Ny (and we had to be ready to go by that Friday, it was Tuesday when we were told). So, I quit my job (after I had just received a promotion) and we packed everything up and were ready to go on Friday morning. We also found an apartment and made a deposit to reserve. My husband goes to get his orders and check-out paperwork and is told that his orders didn't come in! 
    Apparently due to budget cuts, all orders especially those also moving spouses (since they have to pay more) were being scrutinized. So for TWO WEEKS we were waiting for our orders to get approved by some civilian office in Knoxville, Tn. We lived out of the moving truck, and had to unpack enough to be able to live, and everyday my husband had to check to see if our orders came in. At one point my husband got yelled at by some chief, and he tried to blame us for renting out a moving truck for so long, and threatened to make sure we wouldn't be reimbursed for the move. Ridiculous, when the Navy tells you to be ready to go, you're ready to go. We got reimbursed and everything was fine, but it was so stressful.
    Now, I'm happily pregnant, but we're supposed to Pcs at the end of next month and we don't know if the navy is going to send me alone, or let us have the baby here and just delay my husband a few weeks. I really don't want them to send me ahead of time, because I really want my husband to be there for the birth (duh) but we're pretty much at their mercy... so crappy. So I can relate a little bit. I hope they fix his orders soon!

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image image image image
  • @salopez007‌ that sounds awful. They really need to let you two be together. My husband's unit is really good at catering to his paternity leave needs, but it's like no one outside his unit cares at all about helping him unless someone who outranks him is willing to go throw a fit on his behalf.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @Emilyfae Yeah, same here, we need someone in a higher rank to give a crap. We'll see what happens, it's pretty much all we can do.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image image image image
  • I have a pretty good feeling I know the unit you are speaking of.  If I'm correct, we know some great NCOs there.  Someone there will advocate for him.  He needs to keep trying.  He needs to specifically ask for a higher ranking person to help him out.  Those guys are great at taking care of their Joes.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • @iluvmytxgr Everyone at the unit is great, it's just the civilians they hire to get orders cut and soldier's paid don't seem to be up to par. Thanks for the advice. I am very impressed with the quality of soldier he's working with. 

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"