Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Flying

I will soon be flying with my 13 month old to disney .. about a two hour flight ... any recommendations of what to bring on the plane or helpful tips

Re: Flying

• LSU628LSU628 member
    Two hours shouldn't be too bad. By the time you take off, get up in the air, the flight attendant distracts your LO with drinks and snacks, next thing you know you're landing. I'd bring a cup, paci, or lollipop to help with the ears. I'd also bring snacks to help keep your LO busy. My LOs were always fascinated with the safety manual and magazines in the seat pocket. Any chance your flight is around nap time? The overhwelming white noise tends to knock my kids out. Will your LO have their own seat or be a lap child?
    imageimage
  • vrj0522vrj0522 member
    In case you don't know this, they let you go through security with milk or whatever other drink you have for your LO (in a sippy or bottle). You don't have to go through security with nothing. 

Bring snacks for the plane ride. Give yourself plenty of time for added things with LO but don't be there so early that she'll already be bored by the time you get on the plane. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Loading the player...
  • We've flown a couple of times and DD tends to sleep most of the flight. We have used our iPads, and small, new toys and books to distract her. Definitely bring snacks and extra diapers and clothes. We had a vomit and a pee diaper leak on one flight (both at the airport fortunately) and I'm really glad for the extra change of clothes (I brought two sets for DD and an extra shirt for me).
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • edited June 2014
    I haven't flown with a toddler yet, but here is my blog post on flying with my DD when she was a little younger, you might find a few useful tips: https://webecamethree.com/beingmom/babythings/flying-with-an-infant/
  • We've flown about 10 times with our almost 1 year old and only once has she cried (we flew at night thinking it would work with her bedtime and she did fall asleep but when she woke up when we were descending she was not happy, thankfully it was at the end and we don't fly at night lesson learned :) )  We bring small toys, books, her sippy, snacks, (I made a banana last like 40 min on our last flight by giving her tiny pieces)  I try and plan a bottle so that she's ready for one when we take off.  She sometimes naps sometimes doesn't and when she's awake she is mostly distracted by everything going on around her.
  • My LO is very active on flights.  I bring a bottle, snacks, toys, other non-toy things he likes, and a blanket.  This time around I am bringing books because he is really into them right now.  We are flying this week to Mexico - a 4 hour flight. 

When you get to the airport let your LO move around whether crawling or walking.  It will help get some of the energy out before you make them sit down for a couple hours.  Also, when you are on the flight, watch your LO's hands.  Mine has reached forward and grabbed a lady's hair before and woke her up.  I felt horrible.  DH doesn't do a good job of keeping DS's hands down so I just hold him the whole time.  Luckily for you, the flight you are on is used to having small kids (I live in Orlando and fly often). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

;

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've flown about 4 times (alone) with my now 15 month old (since she was 3 months old). I always fly Delta so I'm not sure if these rules apply for all airlines. I found it very helpful to use the carrier that lets me strap her to my chest. I take her stroller and the attachable car-seat that came with it. I attach the car-seat to the stroller and put all of the bags/suitcases on it and roll through the airport hands-free (I fly out of Atlanta, GA which is huge). When I get to security, I take off my shoes, place everything on the belt and walk through the metal detector with her attached to me. They let me check her stroller, car-seat and one "carry-on" sized suit-case for free at the gate so I never deal with baggage claim. I put my purse, a few diapers, wipes, tissue, etc. in her diaper bag and carry that onto the flight with a full sippy cup and a small container of cheerios/snacks for her. I heard that the ear popping makes some babies fussy so I always had baby ear plugs for her (Ear-Planes brand). She never cried so I guess they work. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"