February 2014 Moms
Options

Thrifty June Check In

I am a check in addict! Get out your CWW (cheap white wine) and let's talk not spending money this month!

Stuff we might want to check in about off the top of my head. Do you already have a realistic budget set? Ways to curb your extra spending? Reasons for spending besides because cute? How are you and S/O getting along financially? Do you agree/disagree about money? Quitting Amazon cold turkey? How do you anticipate feeling about spending less?
F14 Siggy Challenge

Re: Thrifty June Check In

• Options
    inluv4life2inluv4life2 member
    edited June 2014
    DH is a teacher and his school changed the payroll schedule this year. He's not getting a check in July. Ugh

Eta we have been putting aside money to cover July but it happens to be an extra spendy time of year. We have 3 weddings in August/sept, 2
    Out of state, and dd and I are in one. Hello spending!
    I hope to create a real siggy but first I need some sleep!

Mom to Lily and Colin!
  • Options
    DH is a teacher and his school changed the payroll schedule this year. He's not getting a check in July. Ugh
    WTAF? That's incredibly sucky
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

WTAF? That's incredibly sucky

I guess people would get paid for July and then quit before the school year started. Why they don't make August the start of the pay year, I don't know?? They did at least tell us back in August. His salary was just over 11 months instead of 12

Mom to Lily and Colin!
  • Options
    But yes, suck factor 9.9.

Mom to Lily and Colin!
  • Options
    I'm really hoping that if I get used to not spending it will get easier. We've been more careful in some ways, but worse in others. And have had some big unexpected expenses lately, including car repairs and vet bills. Those were important, but really hurt the budget. 

My Boyfriend starts paternity leave in August, but will be making $1000 less than our mortgage is. We talk a lot about paid leave in canada, but it is 40% of your pay! but with a max of about $2000 a month. So obviously we need to make more money. I e always planned to go back to work so he can stay with R for a bit. But I don't want to be pressured into taking the first job that comes along. I've been offered one at a decent salary, but it would involve travelling a week a month. The more I think about that the more I want to be able to say no. I'm hoping that by cutting way back now it'll give us a bit of breathing room in the next few months.
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    Right now we only track how we spent our money at the end of the month, so it's helpful but that also means we don't really know how screwed we are until the end of the month. If anybody has ideas for how to transition from that to an actual budget I'd love to hear them. So far all the ideas I've heard are super impractical (only use cash, transition expenses to all monthly payments, etc.)
    Me: 25 DH: 26 First-time Mom EDD 2/2/2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    From May 18, 2013
  • Options
    mlynn333 said:

Right now we only track how we spent our money at the end of the month, so it's helpful but that also means we don't really know how screwed we are until the end of the month. If anybody has ideas for how to transition from that to an actual budget I'd love to hear them. So far all the ideas I've heard are super impractical (only use cash, transition expenses to all monthly payments, etc.)

Start using Mint, it's a fantastic and free way to track expenses and spending. It has a budget feature too.

Mom to Lily and Colin!
  • Options
    @MissDemeanor‌ definitely pass on the traveling job! I don't know how people do that with babies (but some people do make it work!!) good luck hunting, hope you find something perfect!

@inluv4life2‌ that doesn't make any sense! From what you described he got his paycheck 11 times instead of 12, so he got the same total amount. So same with everyone else, even if they leave. I know a lot of districts do that though, some local banks at the district I worked at that had this policy had a service where you would automatically have 1/12 of your paycheck put into an account for that non-pay month.
    DD1 - Evelyn Riley - 9/30/11
    DD2 - Charlotte Avery - 1/27/14

• Options
    Hiiiii. Can I play? We have a pretty solid monthly budget but our savings has tanked because preemie/surgery and we are not happy with the number right now. DH is looking for a new job too, and our lease at our apartment is up in august so we will have moving expenses then.
    And we're already saving up so we can go to my brothers wedding in December. We have to fly so close to Christmas, hotels, clothing, etc.

So... Thrifty June is a good plan!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Pre baby, we were doing pretty well-had a comfortable savings, paying bills easily, eating out a couple times a week. (Not healthy, but we could afford it!) Here lately, it seems like everything has gotten out of control. I don't even buy that much! I think our biggest problems have been medical bills hitting all at once. I had prepregnancy bills from the RE, surgery bills from 13w pregnant, GD visits, regular OB costs, plus hospital/ labor & delivery and pediatrician costs. I think we have the majority of all of that paid, except the RE bill, which we are paying down monthly. It has meant basically stretching every penny, and using the bulk of our savings. I thought May would be a better month for us, since DH had 5 paychecks, and I had 3, but we ended up spending extra stocking up on toiletries and meat for the freezer. I really need to save over June and July, since we have a baptism reception to do the end of July. Thankfully, my sister and her fiancee don't have a date set yet, and my brother hasn't even proposed yet, so no weddings this summer! We are also trying to save for a trip to visit my parents in September.

dx PCOS 2007

BFP #1 (natural) 12/23/2010. Stillbirth due to IC 4/2/2011

TTC #2 starting 03/2012

RE starting 07/2012

05/2013 BFP on a Letrozole (Femara)/trigger!

Cerclage, Procardia, Makena, GD (with insulin), MBR, and we made it!  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Our Angel was born sleeping at 20 weeks due to IC.

• Options

We need to retool our budget again now that we have the daycare expense and my pay is back to normal... we had a theoretical budget but this month we're trying to see how that lines up with actual before we put together final figures.

I'm torn... not sure if I should try to be frugal this month in preparation for a tightened down budget, or if I should just not think about it and hope we set numbers that are a bit higher and have overages when we do buckle down.

Suzy & Brian November 3, 2007 "...this one time, at band camp..." ;-)
    TTC #1 since 9/2012
    BFP #1 2/16/13, EDD 10/13/13, CP 2/21/13
    BFP #2 6/2/13
    Baby J-Bug 2/8/14 My Wedding Bio from back in the day
  • Options
    I think I spend more money on the little things, without realizing how they add up. My boyfriend finally got the Starbucks app for his phone, and unfortunately it tracks how much money you load on it. $400 in two months. WT actual F? How can we spend that much?

I keep thinking R needs summer clothes, but when I really looked he has about 8 pairs of shorts, 3 hats, and countless onesies to get us through the hot months. I was gifted a lot, or given hand me downs, but somehow I forget. Or I just like to shop. So we waste all that money, and then hesitate to but things like a cheap little pool for him to splash in.

I have to go to the mall today to return something. Not the place I want to be today!
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    The good news is that when you think about it, F14 has contributed many great thrifty ideas. How to made good iced coffee (can someone now give tips for good iced tea?), recipe sharing, book club (hello, libary), gardening, knitting....
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    I haven't had time to read the posts yet, but I wanted to say that even just THINKING about posting here has helped me be thrifty. There are many things I want to buy from the Disney Store and Amazon, but I reduced my list by more than half by thinking of how I would justify the purchases to you guys, and what you might possibly reply. What I have left on my list are Mickey Mouse earrings, but from Amazon instead of Disney store, the 3-sprout stroller organizer, and a life size cardboard cutout of Anna & Elsa (Frozen) to have a mini "photobooth" at DD's birthday party.
    Damn the 3 sprouts organizers. I want one too. The only thing that's stopped me so far is I don't know which one to get.
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    Also, we are planning to buy a t shirt from baby gap, but I have to spend $50 to get free shipping. So I've been trying to justifying spending $42 more so I don't pay $8 for shipping.and since I would never pay that, I guess I could just pick it up from the store.... Or I could just spend the $50
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    inluv4life2inluv4life2 member
    edited June 2014
    I didn't buy cookies from the lunch counter in my building today!. I did buy a diet coke because so freaking tired. I'd put today in the good column for thriftiness. =D>

Mom to Lily and Colin!
  • Options
    I didn't buy cookies from the lunch counter in my building today!. I did buy a diet coke because so freaking tired. I'd put today in the good column for thriftiness. =D>
    I'm already noticing how many of my thirfty choices are also healthy ones. I wanted some chocolate today, but decided not to waste the money... and saved myself 250 calories :)  All good, except that there is no peanut butter cup in my tummy :(
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    Mevaroo said:
    I've been buying gallons of Arizona ice tea lemonade because it's way cheaper than going to Starbucks. I did "splurge" and get a new nail polish today, but I'm justifying it by knowing it's cheaper than going out for a pedicure.
    I saw a thing on GMA yesterday that tested nail polishes, and one that was $2 beat out a $21 Chanel one. I'll see if I can find the brand.

I'd planned to come to the mall today, and eat at A&W because we got coupons in the mail yesterday. Well, I forgot my coupons but my tummy was all ready for onion rings anyway.  So now I got it, but no Starbucks treat. :( 

This accountability thing helps!
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    Bad things happened at the mall today :( stupid on sale baby hats. Stupid target beauty section. Stupid greeting cards.
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    MissDemeanorMissDemeanor member
    edited June 2014
    I have now hidden my purchases from my boyfriend. That's how I know I shouldn't have bought anything. But I finally got face wash to fix the scary skin
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    I am grouchy and exhausted and frustrated.... I opened up the Amazon app with the thought of "maybe I can buy something to make myself feel better". Then quickly closed it to post here instead. Because really, unless Amazon starts selling naps there's nothing on there that can help.
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    Mevaroo said:
    @BlueDot818‌ that sucks!! @MissDemeanor‌ great self control! I went to Joann's today to get fabric to make my niece some dresses for her birthday and everything was 40-50% off so I was bad and got myself fabric too. I spent way more than I intended oops. I've been trying to be good, I swear!
    If you make me a dress too I'll over look it ;)

F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    Mevaroo said:
    Mevaroo said:
    @BlueDot818‌ that sucks!! @MissDemeanor‌ great self control! I went to Joann's today to get fabric to make my niece some dresses for her birthday and everything was 40-50% off so I was bad and got myself fabric too. I spent way more than I intended oops. I've been trying to be good, I swear!
    If you make me a dress too I'll over look it ;)

I would if you lived closer! ;)
    My boyfriend thought a West Coast Portland gtg was a good idea!! 
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    I'm trying to get on board with this Thrifty June thing.  I have really been trying to stick to my list when I grocery shop, and have been packing my lunch for work (except for last Friday...oops).  We did recently spend $$$ on LO's 3 month photo shoot though, but that was a planned purchase.  I also planted a veggi garden, so once that starts producing I won't have to buy as much fresh produce!
  • Options
    anji1820 said:I'm trying to get on board with this Thrifty June thing.  I have really been trying to stick to my list when I grocery shop, and have been packing my lunch for work (except for last Friday...oops).  We did recently spend $$$ on LO's 3 month photo shoot though, but that was a planned purchase.  I also planted a veggi garden, so once that starts producing I won't have to buy as much fresh produce!
    I tell my boyfriend that my gardening will save us money too... but then spent $57 at the garden store.... I bought (more) strawberries, zucchini's, and a "salsa planter" ready made with a tomato plant, onions, and green pepper plant... but that was only $12.50 and came in a really nice planter I can use for next year. 

The gardening thing is good though, saves money, makes us eat healthier, gives me something to do, and will let LO learn about veggies as he grows up, and hopefully growing them will make him like them more 
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    I wanted to do a garden this year, but have a tendency to slack more and more as the summer goes on, and we end up with a garden full of weeds with a few plants sprinkled in between. And that was pre-baby. MH won't let me plant one this year, because he doesn't want to get stuck with it.

dx PCOS 2007

TTC #2 starting 03/2012

RE starting 07/2012

• Options
    @BlueDot818‌ I think you get a pass. We need breathe able bumpers too. And wine and art? FUN!

However, your husband gets a C- Just because it's a good deal doesn't mean that you need it (or so I try to tell myself).

My boyfriend agrees I should get a stroller organizer. Not sure if I'm going to get it now, or wait until July.

We're having a BBQ for Father's Day, and I'm trying so hard to do the whole thing on a tight budget....
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    Confession: I just ordered the 3 Sprouts stroller organizer. I got the Rhino one. 

This was a planned, agreed upon purchase though. And we'd planned to get the Britax one to match the stroller, and it was $30 and the 3 sprouts one was onsale for $20, so it's ok, right? ;)
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    Breathable bumpers were on clearance at my Target(50%). So are sassy 'friends' (30%). If you need to get them, at least get them cheep
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Mevaroo said:
    Confession: I just ordered the 3 Sprouts stroller organizer. I got the Rhino one. 

This was a planned, agreed upon purchase though. And we'd planned to get the Britax one to match the stroller, and it was $30 and the 3 sprouts one was onsale for $20, so it's ok, right? ;)
    Yay! That one was the runner up for us. I feel like we need to hang with our matching strollers (b-Agile, right?) and our sweet organizers and whatnot. ;)
    @Mevaroo I'm jealous of your green stroller, they only had black here. f we had two cars I'd drive down to visit. But eventually! I'll bring you ketchup chips!
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    @MissDemeanor‌ at first DH gets annoyed at stuff I buy. Then after he sees it work he wants 2 of everythjng. 2 strollers, 2 car seats, 2 white noise machines, 2 boppies... yea enabler Oh and Yay rhino buddy!
    My boyfriend is the same. Once he sees how useful the organizer is he'll be happy. He hates that we have no place to put drinks. I wasn't able to sell hi, on the cheeseburger storage part of things though
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    @Mevaroo I'm just organizing R's passport. As soon as that's done I'm in!
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    @MissDemeanor‌ at first DH gets annoyed at stuff I buy. Then after he sees it work he wants 2 of everythjng. 2 strollers, 2 car seats, 2 white noise machines, 2 boppies... yea enabler Oh and Yay rhino buddy!
    My boyfriend is the same. Once he sees how useful the organizer is he'll be happy. He hates that we have no place to put drinks. I wasn't able to sell hi, on the cheeseburger storage part of things though
    But... cheeseburgers! !!!! :-O
    FFFC: McD's cheeseburgers are yummy but evil, they only stay put for a few minutes :(
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    I'm fighting the urge to splurge. I have nothing particular in mind, I just feel the need to spend money. This could end badly...

From May 18, 2013
  • Options
    mlynn333 said:
    I'm fighting the urge to splurge. I have nothing particular in mind, I just feel the need to spend money. This could end badly...
    That happens to me. I tend to distract myself by eating, which isn't helpful. @mlynn333 Are you upset about something?
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    I have started letting DH 'manage' the money. He is a better saver than me, plus he wasn't understanding the stress I've had the last few months, trying to pay all the bills and still leave enough for gas and groceries. His way of doing things drives me absolutely insane though...

dx PCOS 2007

TTC #2 starting 03/2012

RE starting 07/2012

• Options

mlynn333 said:

That happens to me. I tend to distract myself by eating, which isn't helpful. @mlynn333 Are you upset about something?

Nothing specific... Just feeling like I need to do something just for me. And since I don't care to leave the house, online shopping seems good. But I can't get myself to pull the trigger on anything. Which is probably a good thing... Silly thriftiness.

From May 18, 2013
  • Options
    I've had a lot of problems staying thrifty, and now I want ALL THE THINGS. Is anyone else having this problem?
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    Oh, and for the record, I got my 3 Sprouts organizer. I don't think it's all that cute and kind of wish I'd bought the Britax one, but probably won't send it back because lazy.
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"