May 2014 Moms
Options

Breast to bottle

My ped recommended we start introducing a bottle to our breast fed baby. I pumped this morning after DS feeding and got 4 oz. After pumping this morning, it seems like my boobs just can't keep up with his demands. Giving him a bottle has been unsuccessful so far. I want to pump to try to help increase my supply but I feel I'm in a hard spot because he won't take a bottle of the expressed milk so he's just going to get more frustrated when trying to nurse and not getting enough. Any advice on introducing a bottle? If my supply is running low, I can't even supplement with formula if he won't take the bottle. I'm starting to panic...
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
imageimage

Re: Breast to bottle

• Options
    I'm ffing and she had no trouble going to the bottle. So no help. But today I was out with my friend who is EBFing, our LOs are 5 days apart. Since we were in town she brought a pumped bottle with her but forgot the nipple. I always bring an extra bottle or two with me just in cause so I let her use one of mine. I use tommee tippee closer to nature total comfort (anti colic). She said that was the best her daughter's ever taken a bottle. The nipple is basically the size of your boob. And they have to latch on to the nipple. (Which I didn't know about when I bought them. My dd had latching troubles) I would just purchase one, not a set, to see how your LO takes it.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    cnbeancnbean member
    Try a different bottle. Some kids are really picky about which ones they will take. Also try having someone else give it to him until he is used to it. I guess they can smell the milk on you and then don't want to eat from the bottle. Hopefully he will cooperate better in the future. 
    image    image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    4oz is a great amount to get this early on doesn't sound like you have a supply issue at all! Also what PP said. It's best to have someone else give LO a bottle not mom and sometimes it takes some trying to find a bottle LO likes, just keep trying.
  • Options
    Definitely try out a few different bottles and keep trying! Remember that this is a new skill LO has to learn so there is bound to be some frustration along the way. I had asked about bottle recommendations the other day and got some great responses. The post is probably back a page or two. Sorry I can't link it on mobile.

Also, 4 oz extra in addition to EBF is great! I don't think you have a supply issue. Just try to pump at the same time each day (the recommendation is after then first morning feeding) and within a few days your body will adjust to the extra "feeding" and produce more. Make sure you also pump whenever LO takes a bottle. You have to make up for that feeding so as not to decrease your supply. That's why it's best to have someone else feed the bottle. Good luck!
    BFP#1 8/3/12~EDD 4/1/13~Natural M/C 9/1/12-9w6d 
    BFP#2 5/30/13~EDD 2/3/14~Confirmed CP 5/31/13
    7/12/13 Hysteroscopy & Lap Lysis of Adhesions
    1st Cycle on Clomid Aug '13: BFP#3 8/24/13~EDD 5/3/14
    Hoping Third Time's a Charm!!- IT'S A GIRL!!!! 
    KAYLIE MARIE IS HERE! BORN 5/4/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie - (nUwf)

All AL-ers welcome in my posts! <3
  • Options
    Agreed with all of the above. Also, try pressing the tip of the nipple on the roof of his mouth. I found it helps my little guy take the bottle easier. Also, we use Dr. Brown's.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP#1 - 11/27/09 EDD 8/5/10, DS1 arrived 7/24/10 via emergency c-section.

BFP#2 - 6/18/12 EDD 2/23/13, sweet baby girl born sleeping on 10/4/12 at 19 weeks, 3 days.

BFP #3 - 1/18/13 EDD 10/1/13, natural mc on 2/2/13 at 5 weeks, 4 days.

BFP #4 - 8/29/13 EDD 5/12/14, our sweet rainbow, DS2 born 4/29/14 via c-section

• Options
    4 oz is great!

My recommendation is to make sure the milk is body temp. I also warm the bottle nipple to feel more natural. He side-eyes it when it is cool and rigid.
  • Options
    I've tried using Avent bottle with natural slow flow nipple. He'd rather try to suck from the nipples from the hospital than that one. I guess I'll be making a trip to buy a few different bottles and nipples. Thanks for all the advice!
    imageimage

• Options
    ns1ns1 member
    Haven't tried a bottle with this one yet, but DD took a while to get used to it. Just keep trying, or have someone else keep trying. LO will catch on! And once you've pumped consistently at the same time for a while your body will get it and know you need to make that much more. So keep pumping and keeping putting baby to boob when he's hungry.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
  • Options
    Try the Lansinoh m0mma bottles. They are pricey but have great reviews from ppl who have babies that are EBF. With DS1 he wouldn't take a bottle after 7 weeks. I wasted money on so many different types of bottles. So with DS2 I have him on the Lansinoh m0mma bottles and they work great. You can get them at Target.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}

• Options
    Our LO took a Tommy Tippee bottle with no issues for the first time at 4 weeks. He gets one pumped bottle from his dad at night. Also, super jealous of your 4 ounces. I only get about 2!
  • Options
    JAM85JAM85 member
    We use the tomme tippe stage one slow flow anti colic and she loves that. Hated the medela one. She only gets one a day so DH can feed her and she can get her probiotics and takes it like a champ now
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've got one bottle and nipple of each of tommee tippe, lansinoh mOmma, MAM and NUK all anti colic slow flow on the way in the mail. Hopefully one of these will work! In the mean time, I'll just keep pumping after his morning feed. I can't wait until he'll at least take a bottle of pumped milk. Nursing and newborns are hard.
    imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"