December 2014 Moms

Thoughts on wine

Ladies I miss my wine. I miss the feel of my favorite wine glass & that first crisp taste of heavenly goodness. It's been almost 12 weeks & although I was only a glass or two a week drinker--the knowledge that I cannot partake has made these weeks torture. I have friends who go cold turkey for 9 months & the nursing months to follow. I have friends who have had a glass or two of wine every once in awhile after the first trimester. I have read studies that say do not drink at all & read some that say a glass or two is fine. What are your thoughts? Are you going to drink any during pregnancy?
Dec 14 May Siggy Challenge - Favorite TV Dads - Phil Dunphy-Modern Family

Re: Thoughts on wine

• I'm not going to drink at all. It's not worth the risk to me. That being said, I have never been a big drinker, so it has not been difficult for me.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers >Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• No one can make this decision for you.  Studies say there is no amount of safe alcohol during pregnancy; however, it is difficult to "study" give the "unethicalness" of giving pregnant women alcohol.  That being said, with my 1st pregnancy I did have the occasional few ounces of wine.  I would serve it in a champagne flute (only 4oz.) and make a spritzer out if it (so probably only 2 oz of wine) 
    BFP#1 4/8/2012 DD born at 35 weeks on 11/10/12
    BFP#2 11/13, Ectopic diagnosed 12/6/13, Tube and Ectopic Removal 12/16/13 
    BFP#3 3/14, Natural M/C 3/18/14 
    BFP#4 4/18/14, heard heart beat (164) 5/14/14, EDD 12/25/14

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I think a half glass here or there is perfectly fine. Not a huge glass or enough to get you tipsy.

So far this pregnancy wine tastes sour. All my faves taste sour! Sucks balls. So that's the only thing stopping me from a half glass now. We'll that and the major side eye I get from DH lol.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Married: 5/21/05 **~** Emery Aylin 6/30/12

BFP#1-11/5/10- Surgery for ectopic pregnancy 11/15/10 BFP#2-11/1/11 Due 7/8/12 Born 6/30/12
    Oops we did it again... BFP 03/23/14 Due 12/6/14 Nora Born 11/23/14
  • I love wine too. Before IVF I had a glass several nights a week so I've missed it too. The packet of information given to me by my doctor's office actually says that a glass of wine on a special occasion is ok so I may have a glass at some point.

TTC since August 2011, Me = 40, DH = 38
    Unexplained IF. Tried Clomid for 3 cycles. All BFNs. BFP 1/6/13. Chemical pregnancy.

Moving on to IVF#1. ER 11/26/13, 16 eggs retreived, 12 mature and all fertilized. 2 blasts transferred on 12/1. All other embies arrested so nothing left to freeze. Beta 12/10 = BFN. IVF #2 March 2014. BFP!!! TEAM BLUE!!!

image imageimageimage

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Krisx2Krisx2 member

I think wine is wonderful.

A glass of wine is ok to consume. I plan on having some in a few weeks with my sushi for my Bday celebration. And then again at the end of summer for my friends wedding. Last pregnancy I had some as well (yes, even being a FTM). When I was nursing DD, I drank a hoppy beer almost every evening right after a nursing session. It helped with my milk supply and let me feel like an adult again. When I'd have wine, I'd either pump and dump or use the test strips.

I basically don't think drinking wine in moderation is a risk so I'm not worried about it.

Mio Marito per Sempre: Married 2009. SD is 12 yrs. DD is 4 yrs.

DS born 12/29/14

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I don't think a glass every once in a while is a big deal, honestly. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • nesenotes said:
    I think a half glass here or there is perfectly fine. Not a huge glass or enough to get you tipsy. So far this pregnancy wine tastes sour. All my faves taste sour! Sucks balls. So that's the only thing stopping me from a half glass now. We'll that and the major side eye I get from DH lol.
    I think I will cry (I know I will cry) if I finally have a sip & it's sour. So many pregnancy changes! My DH probably would love it if I'd try that half glass (I'm much nicer when you add wine) lol.

• I've never been a big drinker, so going cold turkey for me was easy. I didn't drink during my entire first pregnancy or for the year after that I was nursing. I then went out one night after DD was a year old, got a little tipsy, and 3 weeks later found out I'm pregnant. So no more wine for me for another year and a half at least! While I don't think any amount is safe, I also don't think an occasional sip here and there is going to do any damage. You just have to do what you're comfortable with.
  • I think I will have a half a glass at some point.  Waiting for a really bad day at work for it though.  Maybe not, I'm a worrier.  DH and I were at the movies, a couple weeks ago, and he was drinking a beer.  I gagged on popcorn kernel and just instinctively grabbed the can and took a big gulp.  One gulp probably won't hurt anything, but I thought about it obsessively for the next three hours.  I don't think it will be worth it for me.

my read shelf:
    Heidi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker

• norweigannorweigan member
    edited June 2014
    I have a cousin who is a nurse who would drink a glass of wine a night late in her pregnancy. I also have a girlfriend who drank moderately mid to late in her pregnancy and her child is fine. That being said, I'm way too nervous to do it myself. To me, it's better to be safe. 
    Married 5/12/12
    BabyFruit Ticker
    69 Thoughts We've All Had While Drunk

• I personally wouldn't, but I am not a wine drinker. 

• mcr957mcr957 member
    I definitely liked to enjoy wine on occasion or to unwind after work but so far I haven't had a desire for it. I don't think a glass on special occasions would be too much of a big deal, but I would definitely wait until farther along in pregnancy (near 3rd trimester). 

In loving memory of Baby Hufflepuff and all of D14's Angel Babies

imageimage
  • I can't stomach it right now, but will probably have a small glass here and there once I get further along. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I was a big drinker before pregnancy and will probably continue some after pregnancy but I've had two losses and I think because of that I am just not willing to risk anything. That being said, I've read plenty of studies saying a glass here and there is fine. Like many other have said, it's a personal choice and I don't think anyone will judge you for an occasional glass haha
    May Siggy Challenge = Linda Belcher!! Hands down, my favorite TV mom!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Eora3Eora3 member
    My OBs have always said that a glass of wine or a beer a day is no big deal. I am just hoping I can get past all the M/S soon. I really want to sit on the deck and enjoy a drink.
  • I was a glass or two a day drinker pre-pregnancy.  I haven't had anything since finding out other than teeny tiny sips of DH's wine or beer and only like, 3 different times.  It was super hard at first, and though I still miss it, I'm not jonesing for it like I was.

Now that I am in 2nd tri, I'll probably allow myself a glass a week.  We'll see.  
    BFP on 4.3.2014
    EDD 12.10.2014
    DS #1 born 12.16.2014 - He's perfect!

• mcr957mcr957 member
    @gradschoolmom1234 Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely have to look into this book. As a researcher, it's great to see these types of books out there. Given her background as an economist, I'm curious to see conceptually and methodologically how she approaches these topics, compared to other disciplines (my background is in epidemiology). 

In loving memory of Baby Hufflepuff and all of D14's Angel Babies

imageimage
  • I had a glass of wine at a wedding at end of 2nd tri with my first, along with the occasional sip of my H's beer. 

This time, my dad handed me a drink at about 6 weeks and I sort of automatically took a sip before I thought. I prefer to avoid alcohol first tri, but I don't think that one sip is going to be an issue.

Depending on whether it appeals or not, I may have a sip or two here and there in 2nd and 3rd tri. 

I breastfed my son for 2 years, and I didn't hesitate to nurse when I was drinking at the pace of one drink per hour. Less alcohol makes its way into breastmilk than into your bloodstream. There is no need to pump and dump IMO. 

D14 November Siggy Challenge - How I Feel 3rd Tri:
    imageimageimageimage

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'll have a small glass of wine occasionally during pregnancy. I really enjoy the taste and experience of a good wine, and will usually have a bit if we're having a fancy dinner or something. My loose rule for myself when I was pg with DD was no more than a small glass (4oz?) once a week. I rarely had it that often though. This time, I've tried a few sips here and there and honestly it tastes terrible to me right now and gives me heartburn, so I don't know if I'll be drinking any more. 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• desertsun said:
    I breastfed my son for 2 years, and I didn't hesitate to nurse when I was drinking at the pace of one drink per hour. Less alcohol makes its way into breastmilk than into your bloodstream. There is no need to pump and dump IMO. 

I agree.  I nursed my son for 14 months and I used to say I became a pro at drinking while nursing. 

I also LOVE my wine and have had a few sips here and there but haven't felt the need for a glass of my own just yet.  I had a few on special occasions with my first and will probably do the same this time.  Summer is hard without a drink!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • When I had my DS (almost) 11 years ago, it was a hug no-no. The thought was that there is no clue how much alcohol is actually safe. There still isn't any research done on the topic that can convince me to drink any alcohol. However, it is a personal decision.

Plus, I prefer beer. There is something not as sophisticated looking about a pregnant lady downing a bottle of beer, rather than holding a lovely glass of wine, no!? :)

BabyFruit Ticker

ttc #2 since 2004 Me (35): Stage 3 Endo, DH (34): High DNA Frag

IVF/ICSI #2: April 2014: BFP!!!!!!

ET of 2 great quality embryos. + BFP on 9dp5dt. Beta #1 (10dp5dt): 257, Beta #2 (14dp5dt): 1561,

Beta #3 (21dp5d5): 8,172. Wow. It seems this is actually working. Shocked beyond belief.

1st u/s @6w5d: Baby A hb 124, Baby B hb 127 (Both measuring perfectly!)

Lost baby A. Praying that baby B stays healthy. Baby B hb 175 at 11 weeks

It's a GIRL!!!

imageimageimage

My Blog

• Not a wine drinker, so not really an issue for me, but I do miss beer. Had a sip of SO's beer the other night and it was so tasty. With DS, I stayed alcohol-free until the last week and while nursing when I would occasionally have 1 light beer to help with milk production. It really seemed to increase my supply, and the amount of alcohol was minimal.

DS born 10/22/2008
    DD born 12/23/2014

m/c @10wks 12/2007
    m/c @4wks 3/2014

• I haven't read the other responses so I am probably repeating. From the research I have done, it seems the consensus is that there is no harm in having a small amount while you are pregnant. The problem is that of doctors say a small amount is fine, someone is sure to take that to mean that they can drink as much as they want. It's easier to just say avoid alcohol entirely. There certainly are risks to drinking too much so it's hard to decide where the line is. All that said, I believe the reputable studies that show a small amount is fine. If I was not diabetic, I would be indulging in a half a glass once or twice a month. Unfortunately, I am, and it's not worth the sugars. When you do your research make sure to look at reputable studies and make your decision based on that.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • I think doctors say no wine is fine in order to not be liable when someone goes overboard, has an issue, and sues.  My OB is big on the research and is fine with one drink per day, up to five days per week. This doesn't change during trimesters, and a drink is wine, beer, or liquor, just the standard amounts.  I had the occasional drink with my son and have had 1/2 a glass once this pregnancy. I don't think it's the big deal that people make it out to be. My OB referenced a study that indicated you'd have to drink a six pack of beer (or the equivalent) every day of your pregnancy to have FAS issues, but his threshold is obviously much lower than that.
    imageimage
  • I've read that an occasional glass of wine or a beer would probably be fine but its not worth the risk for me. What if in 5-10 years LO has developmental or behavioral problems, I will wonder if that glass of wine with dinner caused it.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Thing 1: 6/2012 Thing 2: Due 12/2014
  • We got pregnant with DS right before our wedding. My OB said it would be fine to have a glass of champagne for the toast, but I was too nervous. I drank sparkling grape juice all night instead. But by the end of summer all I wanted was a nice white wine!

Since DS is only 8 months, I've only maybe had 6 drinks since he was born, so I haven't been craving it.
  • At this point, I have made the decision not to drink any alcohol. Although I'm sure a small amount is safe, I'm with those that have waited forever to have this baby and don't want to risk anything happening (no matter how small the risk). I can't with 100% certainty say I won't change my mind about a mimosa in the 3rd tri, but right now I don't think I will. I'm generally a big prosecco drinker, so I've been drinking sparkling grape juice in a wine glass whenever DH has a beer. :)
  • I'm not even going to lie, I'm a total wino. However, I'm also a total straight edge when it comes to pregnancy rules and I won't have even a sip. I've only missed drinking once thus far (during our beach vaca), but to give 9 months up is, in my opinion, the selfless thing to do. I nursed DD for a year and would occasionally drink then and would either only have one glass and it would be hours before I nursed again, or if I had more than one she'd have a pumped bottle. I even got the little milk testing strips. They worked like a charm. :)

That being said, I've had friends that have had a glass here and there and their babies have been totally fine. Only you can make this decision.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1 5/12/12; EDD 1/20/13; Eliana Grace born 1/25/13

BFP #2 12/11/13; EDD 8/23/14; M/C 6 weeks

BFP #3 4/3/14; EDD 12/13/14

Pregnancy Ticker

• I don't see an issue with a small glass every once and a while. My midwife actually recommended it towards the end of my pregnancy to stop contractions and to relax. I personally don't drink often anyways, so it doesn't bother me. However, I wouldn't judge anyone who did!
    Mommy to Emery Vera 5.20.12  Blog
  • My view, North Americans are the only people too stupid to understand "moderation" and hence the only continent with the stance of ABSOLUTELY NO DRINKING EVER! 

I had a weekly glass of red with DD. Will do the same this time. Second tri, not first. I put most of my faith in the health systems of Switzerland and those UK folk who live forEVER. ;o)
    BFP 01/17/2014, Due 10/05/2014, MMC, we said goodbye 03/07/2014

BabyFetus Ticker
  • My view, North Americans are the only people too stupid to understand "moderation" and hence the only continent with the stance of ABSOLUTELY NO DRINKING EVER! 

I had a weekly glass of red with DD. Will do the same this time. Second tri, not first. I put most of my faith in the health systems of Switzerland and those UK folk who live forEVER. ;o)
    I think this belongs in the UO thread ...
  • I'm in the camp that its a personal choice and a few ounces here or there isn't a big deal.  That being said, I don't drink during pregnancy because 1)not a big drinker anyways 2)I'm hormonal enough 3)don't need the extra calories

Wow, generalize much?
  • Has anyone tried the non-alcoholic wine? Just wondering. Fre?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • When my mom was pregnant with my sister, she would go to work meetings where wine was served and instead drink super sugary soda or ginger ale the whole time. Her weight was not doing well and she had high blood pressure so the doctor told her next time to just drink the glass of wine and avoid all the unnecessary sugar and syrup. It really depends on you and what you find risky. 

Personally, I find drinks like diet coke more disturbing because they aren't even good for us when we are not pregnant and you are bound to drink a whole lot more of it (though, no judgement coke drinkers. I love soda too).

To way overgeneralize: If it's healthy for mom it's healthy for baby. Getting drunk is never good for you and only worse for baby. But if a few sips of wine calms you down and makes you happy, then it's worth at least talking to your doctor about. Stress is also bad for baby.

Yeah, there are risks. But there are also risks to pumping gas while pregnant and eating... well, anything. Only you can decide if it's worth it. When I worked for an OB, we would often have women come in who smoked 4-5 packs a day. It was a triumph if they could cut back to a few cigarettes a day. Still not great, but sometimes the stress of quitting cold turkey is also not the best situation for baby. All that just to say that it is between you and your doctor. But totally be aware that you will get asshole stares and judgment if you order any while out at a restaurant.
    In memory of the baby Hufflepuff and all the angel babies of D14 <3
    imageimage

• kinzer06 said:
    Has anyone tried the non-alcoholic wine? Just wondering. Fre?
    IT IS TERRIBLE. Do not waste your money! Seriously, I couldn't even finish a glass. It tasted like old/gross grape juice, and absolutely nothing like wine. I tried both the red and the white, ugh. 
    This. Before pregnancy, there weren't many drinks that I wouldn't at least try. Non-alcoholic wine is just vile, at least the ones I've tried. 

• I agree with some of the PPs, I just won't risk it. Not worth it for me, plus it all sounds terrible at the moment.

I have a friend who drank moderately (maybe 3 or 4 glasses her whole pregnancy) but her child had birth defects and she blamed herself (not that it was her fault at all, no direct causation ,but she still felt that way). We went out to dinner one time when she was visibly pregnant, and I remember the awful stares of judgement we both got as she drank her wine. It was so awkward. Most people aren't used to seeing a pregnant woman drink, so if you are one who plans to do so, be prepared for those looks or do it in the privacy of your own home!

DS1: 12/17/2014
    DS2: born sleeping at 26 weeks on 8/8/2016 due to chromosomal deletion
    Pregnant with baby 3 -  EDD 9/14/2017

• . But totally be aware that you will get asshole stares and judgment if you order any while out at a restaurant.
    Surprisingly, I never did with DD. In fact, some servers kept refilling my glass over and over when I was obviously very pregnant (I didn't keep drinking, I'd pass my glass to DH). I think it must depend what kind of establishment you're at. 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• RayRay007 said:
    . But totally be aware that you will get asshole stares and judgment if you order any while out at a restaurant.
    Surprisingly, I never did with DD. In fact, some servers kept refilling my glass over and over when I was obviously very pregnant (I didn't keep drinking, I'd pass my glass to DH). I think it must depend what kind of establishment you're at. 
    Or what country, as alluded to before. I went to London and Paris for a babymoon and got no second looks when I had a drink.  In fact, I got questioned by many bartenders for ordering water.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"