Working Moms
Options

Career opinion- merger woes

So my company was bought off by a bigger company and now they are redundating workers and offering them new jobs in the new company. I was one of those given an early retirement and offered a new job. While i appreciate the 10% increase in salary they offered and that i was not surprised that i was offered a lower job level, i was taken aback by the fact that my staff and former trainee (10 yrs my junior) was offered the same job grade level. And although they argued that my salary was more than double hers and that it was just stipulated in her trainee contract that she has to hav that job grade level i just found that decision so odd. They also reasoned out that their organization is flat vs hours hence the three rank downgrade for me and that those are the only job opening in their company.
Havent signed the JO as i dnt knw what to make of it still. Id love to keep the job but just thinking abt it now makes me demoralized. DH hinted i could stay hone first andjust find a new job ltr if i want to.
Any inputs ladies? Wwyd i it were you?

i love you, my little mooncake mahal kita

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage

Re: Career opinion- merger woes

• Options
    Thanks for the input @K3am‌. That's one of my options and if ill go with that im just hoping i cud go past my demotivated state. Hey another q, can i just leave that out of my CV in case? I mean this new position if ever?

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Thanks so much @k3am i appreciate it!

imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It is always harder to find a new job while unemployed. I would not quit yet. Give it a chance anyway.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Options
    litzo27litzo27 member
    edited June 2014
    So were you guys the same level and now you will be lower and she will be higher? Or was she below you and now you are both at the same level (because she stayed the same and you moved down)? If it's the latter I would not be too bothered about it - that does happen sometimes when the organization is very flat without a distinguishing hierarchy. I would take the job (assuming you are interested in the job itself). You'll be able to differentiate yourself by listing both prior positions and current responsibilities. Another possibility is to try to negotiate for a slight change in title - no harm in asking.
    Also I think the salary bump is a really important reason to take the job. Not only because of the income now but because you can then refer to the higher salary as your current salary when looking for jobs. I know that's not the way it works in some industries but, for example, in IT (DH's industry) every single salary negotiation he ever had for new jobs/contracts included discussion of his last salary.
    So in summary - I would take it and go from there :)
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm a bit confused about how it's a demotion but comes with a 10% raise. Are you considering it a demotion simply because you're no longer supervising people and your previous subordinate will now be an equal? I realize it's a bit of a shock, but given the big reorg, I think those kinds of changes are to be expected. I'd give the new scenario 6 months and reassess then. You may find that you actually like not having to supervise people (all of my management seems to hate that part of the job) and if you can take home even more pay without having to hassle with it, maybe you'll like it more than you expect. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ladies thank you for the advice. Really appreciate it. I figured ill try to let them know abt how i felt just to have closure and then just try till end of the year or till somethng better comes along. Thanks for the resume/CV advice - that i shld just go through an experiential type plus i shld just nego nxt time based on salary! And @cecilyandgautam‌ thanks for makin me look at the other side of not havn much peeps to manage. It may take a load off ny shoulders.
    Best regards to you all.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Yes @ebie79‌ i wont. Thank you so much

imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards