Working Moms

How to pay sitter?

MrsN052408MrsN052408 member
edited May 2014 in Working Moms
My husband will be the one to relieve our summer sitter. He doesn't always finish work the same time everyday. His job is unpredictable. He could be home at 2:30p or 4:15p. Some Fridays we may need the sitter a bit longer. What's the best way to compensate? The sitter is agreeable to not knowing when my husband will be home. Should we track hours on a daily basis and pay by the hours worked at the end of the week or pay a flat weekly fee?

Edited for reading comprehension.

Re: How to pay sitter?

• Thanks! I think that is best, too.
  • Avion22Avion22 member
    I think a flat rate per week, plus extra for any extra hours, is reasonable.  I think it's fine to plan for her to work until 4:15 each day...if your husband gets home early, he can either send her home early and just accept that you're paying her for time she's not working, or he can have her stay until 4:15 anyway and use that time to go to the gym, run an errand, or do whatever need to be done around the house while she's watching the kid.  

And obviously, when your husband has an idea of when he'll be home, he should call and let her know.  Will you know in advance if you'll need her longer on a Friday?  Like, on Monday or Tuesday will you be able to ask her to stay late on Friday?  What happens if she can't?  Or do you expect her to be able to stay late as long as you let her know X days in advance?  
    imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • shannmshannm member
    If she doesn't have advance notice regarding when he will be home, I would pay her the time she is setting aside to be there. And if he gets home earlier, so be it. She committed that time to you so you should compensate her for it.
  • I pay hourly....and I round it so it is in their favor...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • VORVOR member

shannm said:
    If she doesn't have advance notice regarding when he will be home, I would pay her the time she is setting aside to be there. And if he gets home earlier, so be it. She committed that time to you so you should compensate her for it.

This is really where I fall.  She's committing the time to you.  She can't do anything else w/ that time.  That's not her fault. 

Even if you pay a set amount until 2:30 and then pay extra for when she stays later - I'd probably cushion that extra a little bit to make it feel more worth her while. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"