Natural Birth
Options

Red raspberry leaf

Anyone else a red raspberry leaf tea drinker? I was turned on to it years ago to ease cramping from IBS and think it works well. I started drinking it at 37 weeks with DS. I had some during labor (which only lasted 3 hours). Planning on drinking it again this time!

Re: Red raspberry leaf

• Options
    jmknoxjmknox member
    My midwives gave me a big bag of it... Not sure when I should start drinking it?
    BFP 5/22/12, MC 6/6/12 (cp) BFP 10/16/13, EDD June 28, 2014 - baby J arrived 6/19/14! ** #2-- BFP 12/5/15, EDD August 17, 2016 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker ***************************** Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I held off drinking it until I knew it would be safe for DS to come out (37w). It relaxes muscles but also causes contractions, so I didn't want to chance it. I have two girlfriends who also tried it. One swears it's the reason her l&d was so quick, the other didn't think it did anything. I personally swear by it and think it helped with my uterine contractions while breast feeding too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    jmknoxjmknox member
    BFP 5/22/12, MC 6/6/12 (cp) BFP 10/16/13, EDD June 28, 2014 - baby J arrived 6/19/14! ** #2-- BFP 12/5/15, EDD August 17, 2016 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker ***************************** Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I've been drinking it since the beginning of second trimester this PG.  With DS, I drank it throughout third trimester.  I think most MWs believe that while it tones the uterus, it won't actually put you into labor.  My MWs had no problem with me drinking it well before 37 weeks.

BFP#2:  EDD 2/11/14, MMC confirmed 7/15/13 (growth stopped at 6 weeks), D&C @ 12 weeks 7/25/13

• Options
    I drank it during both of my pregnancies. I didn't exactly love the taste but both my doulas recommended it (one doula even made her own pregnancy tea blend)! I plan to start drinking it later on during this pregnancy too!

DS1 born 4/17/11
    DS2 born 2/22/13
    MMC 5/16/14@8w2d
    DD due 5/9/15 Please be our
    RAINBOW

imageimage
  • Options
    I drank it starting at 32ish weeks. I only had 1-2 cups a day and found it to be good but I like tea in general. Not sure if it really helped but my contractions were strong and I had an 11 hour labor. I felt like it probably helped tone my uterus but I have know way of knowing for sure. I will drink it again when we have #2.
  • Options
    I have a history of one preterm birth and preterm labor, so I didn't start it till after 37 weeks but I do think it contributed to good contractions and a "textbook" progession, with a 6-7 hour labor start to finish.  I also really like the way it tastes
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I held off drinking it until I knew it would be safe for DS to come out (37w). It relaxes muscles but also causes contractions, so I didn't want to chance it. I have two girlfriends who also tried it. One swears it's the reason her l&d was so quick, the other didn't think it did anything. I personally swear by it and think it helped with my uterine contractions while breast feeding too.
    @MauraLou25 No it helps to tone your uterus which makes contractions more productive.  It doesn't start labor. 
  • Options
    F47F47 member
    It doesn't induce labor, but it is supposed to tone the uterus. I drank 1 cup per day from mid-second trimester, and upped it to 2-3 cups per day in my third. The nurses and OB who delivered me couldn't believe how quickly my uterus contracted back after delivery. Seriously they all commented on it. I have no idea if the tea contributed to this, but I'll definitely drink it next pregnancy, too.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    H&H2014H&H2014 member
    Just started drinking it - week 39. It's very mild in taste and I'm grateful to have something other than water! 
  • Options
    I drank it from 35 weeks up until delivery. i drank it 3 times a day along with primrose oil pills. My midwife said it helped alot because my cervix was so soft baby came out very easy and quick.

imageimageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My MW asks client to drink tea with nettle, oat straw, alfalfa, and RRL every day and work up to 1 quart per day by the third trimester. I drink it even not pregnant because it is just so loaded with good nutrients. When I get sick of the flavor, I throw in another flavored tea bag along with it, drink it cold vs. hot vs. warm, brew in apple juice rather than water, add in a handful of other herbs for flavor, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"