July 2013 Moms

Anyone weaning to a cup yet?

Charlie won't really hold his own bottle, but loves his sippy. We have just been giving water, but I was trying to push his nap a bit later today and he wanted a bottle. I knew the bottle would put him to sleep so I tried his formula in the sippy and he drank it all on his own. (And didn't fall asleep)

So I was thinking of maybe cutting out one bottle feeding at a time and switching him to the cup.

FTM here, that's how weaning works right? LOL

Re: Anyone weaning to a cup yet?

• I would practice with water if it's an open cup & do a sippy with formula.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• No it's all sippy at this point! Open cup would just be dumped lol
  • Loading the player...
  • There wouldn't be any harm to him going to all sippy cup before 1 year right? And it's not going to happen overnight anyway...
  • I would practice with water if it's an open cup & do a sippy with formula.
    We do this.  Water in an open cup at lunch time, sippy cup w/formula at every feeding but her first and last.
  • KKinATXKKinATX member
    L either gets a boob or a sippy cup. No more bottles at our house. At first we just did water in them but then we tried breastmilk. At first we heated and now she'll even take it cold. It makes milk on the go so much easier since trying to NIP in public is a circus these days!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Big brother James 6-19-11  ****  Little sister Lillianna 6-26-13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanks ladies. I know it will be a process. I would never switch cold turkey, but it would be nice to be done with the bottle maybe by 12 months!?

I think that's the current recommendation anyway...
  • MRadsMRads member
    He only gets sippy at DC and were down to just a bottle at night, but he looooves his cheap Pittsburgh Pirates bottle so much. Our dr browns are all put away.

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • rondosarondosa member
    Right now he is EBF, and I had been giving him a sippy cup of water at every meal (of food), probably for the last two months. When I go back to work in July I was going to leave bottles of BM but I'm not sure yet what I'll do about that.

However over the past week, I decided to start doing an open cup more frequently, so now that's how he gets his water during all meals at the table. Haven't touched the sippy cup. He's been doing pretty well, but I have to hold it for him obviously. He has gotten the hang of drinking and not spilling much down his front anymore.
  • We have a training cup from avent that doesn't use a spout, but still prevents spills. Is that still considered a sippy? So far we only use it for water...
  • @ncchnat‌ I read it as that too! We're totally done with bottles here. He's been on the sippy cup since a week before he turned 9 months. At first I was messing around with it and offering him water in it but he wouldn't take it. I tried about 5 different cups and nada. I used an avent sippy with a longer spout with formula in it and he took it. I cut out 1 to 2 bottles a day for a week then he just took to the sippy. Now he drinks from all of them but I want him to start using the straw cup now cause he has 4 teeth and I hear it's better for their development.

image image

BFP: 12/01/2012      EDD: 07/26/2013    Birthday: 07/25/2013 

• I just don't see us ever weaning from a bottle. Seriously. I mean the kid loves food more than the bottle, but when nap time comes, there is no getting her to drink from a cup. My DH says she will be a closet bottle drinker forever. He's probably right.
  • bobceebobcee member
    edited May 2014
    Zack gets water from a sippy. He also likes drinking out of my open cup (but spits most of it on himself) and my straw thermos, which he does well with. He nurses and still gets bottles at daycare. However, once he moves to the next room at a year it's no more bottles which is why we're practicing with water in the sippy. I don't think he'll mind the transition as he currently tries to steal Delilah's sippy of milk and has been successful.

image image

D 2.20.2011 & Z 7.16.2013

• My LO never really took to his sippy or straw cup. But he picked up drinking from a regular cup a little before 6 months. So that's what he gets when he doesn't have formula.
    Married 12.20.2010
    BFP#1: 11.22.2012 EDD: 7.22.2013 DS Born 7.24.2013
    BFP#2: 11.26.2014 EDD: 7.25.2015 *chemical confirmed 12.08.14*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"