Parenting after a Loss
Options

Update: XP (TTCAL) (long): Egg Retrieval from IVF#2 & I expect to be our last chance

anitafloraanitaflora member
edited June 2014 in Parenting after a Loss
Hi PAL ladies!

I'm sorry I haven't been participating as much.... between just being busy w/drs appointments and some definite marriage stress on top of it all I've just been pretty withdrawn I guess. Here's what I posted on TTCAL just prior to ER day, which was today, as well as an update on how that all went.

Hi ladies,

Just wanted to post a quick update.

I'm having a really hard time right now so please forgive me for the brevity here.

Sunday we're going in for Egg Retrieval. This is our second round of IVF, for those that are mobile. And, my heart is breaking, I hate bringing myself to write this... I don't want to.... I am resisting with every ounce of my being.

But this is going to be our end. This is it. One way or the other we are going to be done our journey. Either we will be blessed with another child. Or we will be a one child family.

My husband does not want to continue trying. He is unable to support our trying. I hesitate to know what to write here, because I don't want to sound like I'm putting any blame upon him. But we are definitely not on the same page. With this last cycle he kept going back and forth about what he said to me. We basically continued this past cycle because his words were, "No, I don't think this is a good idea. But I'm not going to be the one to tell you no."

And the entire cycle his feedback has just been over and over that it's my decision and my decision alone. When I told him I was going to be done the injections this morning and things were looking good, he was completely apathetic. I asked him if he was happy at all and he said that no, he wasn't. He couldn't even muster any happiness for me that I was done injecting myself.

So I have been alternating between crying all morning and trying to get on with my daily life and routine.

He said that of course he would be happy if this cycle worked, but he is not looking forward to the stress of having another child. When he started to talk about how he's 40 now and how he doesn't want to deal with an infant and all their needs... I just had to walk away. I just couldn't listen to him talk about that again. But again, he feels as though he is just accepting that this is what we're doing. Because it's our last chance to have another child at all. There are no other options in front of us.

So I can't in good conscience go forward with another cycle. We can't continue to try any more.

I am completely heartbroken beyond words that I can find.

I'm sure all the hormones aren't helping anything.

But the thing that is so bothersome as well is that it's not that he doesn't want to be a father again because of any other reason than 1) he's worried about how we're going to "make ends meet" (when frankly, while yes, we are in a very tight position at the moment, it won't last forever, and I do not agree that we are in that bad a position - he has much more desire for material things and wealth than I do so this is a major rift between us) and 2) he doesn't want to relive the "newborn" phase - which yes, of course it's tough, but it's all worth it. And it's a temporary phase.

So to me, while I completely understand and respect his feelings.... and that is what I have to do to be fair to any possible future child... to me... I just think that truthfully, if we were to have another child, we would be able to work things out financially and that deep down he would love being a father again and love having a sibling for our son. I think he's just scared. And I hate that if this cycle doesn't work we're going to be leaving our last chance (our insurance would cover one more IVF cycle) on the table because he's scared.

But I think we have to. I can't go on without his support. I can't do it again. It's not fair to him or me or anyone.

I'm sorry for the lengthy post, ladies.... and thank you so much to anyone who's taken the time to read it.

I love you all. I don't know what else to say. Other than thank you, thank you, thank you again for all the support you all have shown me for so very long. I'm not ready to say goodbye yet.

But it will be soon.

UPDATE:

First of all, thank you so much for all your kind words and support about all of this. I did make a call Friday afternoon to someone I found who I think would be a good counselor to start seeing. But her message said she was out and not able to get messages until after 6/3, so I will call back then. I'm not sure how it's going to work with how they charge for marriage counseling if we were both to go, because I've met my out of pocket maximum under the plan now (several times over now!), but my husband has not. So I don't know how they charge it. My hope is that we can do marriage counseling together and somehow it would be just charged to me. I need to find out. But first steps underway to try to do so.

We had started seeing someone a good while back but only had about three appointments and felt they weren't quite what we needed. I'm hoping this new insurance allows us - or at least me - to see someone better. I agree that I do think it's pretty important right now to help us through this.

As for the retrieval - (XP from the awesomely nice and kind @snegde thread - thank you again @snegde!)

They got 7 - so that's good! At first the surgeon told me that he didn't expect to get that many since my estrogen level was quite a bit lower than the last cycle. He said it was over 2,000 last time when they got 7 but this time my estrogen was only around 1,200. So I was completely bummed going into it. And I think that's left me with this lingering feeling of dread. Maybe the lower estrogen means there won't even be as many mature? I'm not sure. But I'm very, VERY relieved that he was wrong and that they did get the same amount as last time.

Now I wait for the fert report tomorrow to find out how many were mature and fertilized and how they're looking.

Thank you so, so much again, ladies.
Fert report update: Not so good. Of the seven, only one fertilized normally. There's another one that there trying to fertilize today (what does that mean that they're trying?? I would think if it's not fertilized 24hrs later I don't know how it would make it). He said that 3 did not fertilize at all - think he said they weren't mature. And 2 fertilized abnormally. Damn it. He still sounded hopeful, bless this man. He just said, "Well, we want quality over quantity, so let's just see what happens. But we'll plan and hope for a day 3 or 4 transfer." I'm so grateful to be with such a good Dr. No matter what the outcome I will know that I've tried everything I possibly could. I haven't told my husband yet. I'll see him within the hour. At work. Thanks again so much for the thoughts and prayers. I'll just update this thread when I know more. Sending out so much love and gratitude for you ladies! Xoxoxoxo

dream 1 CAME TRUE 2.13.2010

<dream 2> 12.2011

2.10.12 : 4 weeks

6.17.12 : 10 weeks

10.10.12 : 4 weeks, 6 days

12.13.12 : 9 weeks, 1 day

4.6.13 : 4 weeks, 4 days

10.27.13 : 5 weeks, 6 days

4.2.14 (IVF #1) : 4 weeks, 1 day

6.19.14 : IVF #2 Negative

</dream 2>

resolve.org

AMA, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, heterozygous MTHFR

"all it was was a fairytale and devotion to a dream"

lyrics

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
***All always welcome!!***

Re: Update: XP (TTCAL) (long): Egg Retrieval from IVF#2 &amp;amp; I expect to be our last chance

• Options
    km_mdkm_md member
    Keeping everything crossed for you Anita!! ((hugs))

Finding a therapist that works for you can take some time but is definitely worth it in the end. I hope that you find someone who works for you and your DH so that you can get your marriage back on the right track.

• Options
    (((Hugs)))

I see a counselor for PPD and she allows my husband to come to any of the sessions without charge. It is billed under me. I know its not the same as marriage counseling but she is a family psychologist. I am not sure where you are located or what time of insurance you have but it is worth asking.
    Wedding 08/08/08

BFP #1 12/29/10 EDD 08/29/11 Blighted Ovum 02/09/11 D&C 02/11/11

Clomid 50mg BFP #2 09/21/11 EDD 05/29/11 Chemical Pregnancy 10/4/11

BFP #3 4/19/13 Beta1- 106 Beta2- 524 Beta3- 3500 EDD 12/22/13 LO born 12/31/13

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Anita honey! My heart breaks for you that you are such a difficult point in your journey. I am praying this cycle works for you and you are able to give birth to a wonderful second child and feel that your family is complete. I also hope with everything I have you and your husband are able to find peace together, with a decision you can both live and be happy with.

I cannot imagine the pain that you are feeling right now; I only wish that everything works out exactly as is best for you and family- whatever that may be. I wish I could take away some of this hurt so you could go to your transfer with a light heart. Please know that you are in my thoughts. (((Hugs))) and best luck.
  • Options
    Dear Friend! I'm just getting caught up and sorry to hear of your struggles with your husband. Men, ugh! Am on mobile so will email you later but omg 7! So excited for you! Happy fertilization vibes coming your way for now!
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• Options
    Anita, I am so sorry you are having a rough time. IF, loss and IVF can do some damage to even the most perfect relationships. My DH and I have been dealing with this for 4 years and it is never easy, we have had many ups and downs and it is flat out exhausting is every way. I am sure your DH is emotionally and financially taxed (my DH is also 40 and these guys' heads jsut aren't in the best place right now). I hope you get an amazing fer report today and they all keep growing like rockstars. I think it is good that you are going to see someone, and hopefully together, but I hope this is all for naught and you get pg this cycle and have a take home baby at the end and his outlook shifts. It is hard for them to see us put ourselves through this too, whether or not they have a way to voice that - it takes a toll all around and I hope that some of this is just his pain, frustration and fear surfacing. We all know men aren't the best at expressing themselves.

Major hugs to you, and please keep us posted. You are in my thoughts and prayers!
    Me: 37 DH: 40 TTC since 9/09
    #1 BFP 1/10/11; missed m/c discovered 7w5d
    IF Dx: Endo, hetero MTHFR mutation, poor morphology
    #1 IUI: 1/18/12 = BFN
    #1 IVF/ICSI 4/2/12 = 2 x 7-cell and 1 x 5-cell transferred (3dt) = BFP!!
    H was born at 41w2d on 12/29/12 - be still my heart!
    #2 IVF/ICSI 1/19/14 = 2 x 8 cells transferred (3dt) = BFP!! EDD 10/09/14
    M&W born at 37 weeks on 9/18/14 - I am the momma of 3 boys!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I don't have any advise/words of wisdom, but I wanted to say that you and your family will be in my T&Ps.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• Options
    I have no advice but just wanted to give lots of hugs.  So sorry you're struggling right now.  
    Me: 31     DH: 33
    Dx: Me: Recurrent Pregnancy Loss; DH: Low Morphology (2%)
    BFP#1: MC 3/1/11 at 6w1d - EDD 10/21/11
    BFP#2: 5/3/11 - EDD 1/9/12 - DD Born 1/6/12
    TTC #2 since 12/13
    BFP#3: MC 2/8/14 at 4w5d - EDD 10/13/14
    BFP#4: MC 5/6/14 at 4w4d - EDD 1/9/15
    BFP#5: MMC discovered 8/4/14 at 9w1d - D&C 8/5/14 - Baby Boy with Trisomy 16 (maternal origin) - EDD 3/8/15
    BFP#6: CP 11/6/14 at 4w2d - EDD 7/14/15
    IVF #1 with ICSI & PGS: May/June 2015, ER 6/3/15, 17R/17M/15F
    IVF #2 with ICSI & PGS: July 2015, ER 7/16/15, 16R/11M/9F
    PGS results = 6 normal embryos (4 boys, 2 girls)
    FET 9/23/15 = BFFN
    Natural FET 11/4/15 = BFP!
    Beta 9dp5dt = 92

• Options
    Mmm79Mmm79 member
     Just catching up on all of this.  I hope that things work out as they should- whatever that means.  You are a strong lady who has gone through so much.  Hugs. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic View Full Size Image
    BFP#1 11/12/11 ~ No heartbeat 12/12/11 ~ D&C 12/19/11
    BFP#2 3/25/12 ~ Heartbeat 141 4/16/12 ~ No heartbeat 4/25/12 ~ D&C 04/30/12 
    BFP#3 7/16/12 ~ EDD 3/26/13 ~ It's a BOY ~ DOB 2/26/13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"