Blended Families

So excited!!!!

Hello everyone!   I recently posted on the "Trying to get pregnant board" but was advised to reach out to this board as well!!

After spending almost three years as a single mom I have an amazing man in my life.  He has stepped up and gone above and beyond for my little girl.  We are excited to expand our little family!!  Yesterday he sent me a message that he was going to take today off.  He said maybe he would take the little one out for breakfast before bringing her to school for a little daddy/daughter time.  He then said although he has always felt it, he has never actually called her his daughter and that it made him smile.  He is so good to us.  As I was walking into work today the thought of adoption crossed my mind and I wanted to do some research to see exactly what that consists of.  Considering jerk face has not been in our lives since I found out I was pregnant.  This is what I found:  

How do I adopt a step-child?

Under Colorado law, a child can be adopted by a step-parent if the parent that the child lives with agrees, and if the parent that the child does not live with either:

Had abandoned the child for a year or more
        Has not supported the child, without good reason, or
        If one parent has legal custody, and the non-custodial parent consents to the adoption.

I am excited that it looks like it might be a bit easier than I initially thought!!!  Just wanted to share, because initially I was going to reach out for advice if anyone has already gone through step parent adoption!!

Re: So excited!!!!

• alb2411alb2411 member
    I don't have any experience with step-parent adoptions, but just wanted to say welcome to the board and congrats on finding a good partner who seems to love you and your little girl! Wishing you happiness as you progress.
  • Congratulations!!
  • Loading the player...
  • ambrvanambrvan member
    Hmm... No advice, welcome and best of luck!
  • Congrats!!
  • daiquirri said:
    Hello everyone!   I recently posted on the "Trying to get pregnant board" but was advised to reach out to this board as well!!

After spending almost three years as a single mom I have an amazing man in my life.  He has stepped up and gone above and beyond for my little girl.  We are excited to expand our little family!!  Yesterday he sent me a message that he was going to take today off.  He said maybe he would take the little one out for breakfast before bringing her to school for a little daddy/daughter time.  He then said although he has always felt it, he has never actually called her his daughter and that it made him smile.  He is so good to us.  As I was walking into work today the thought of adoption crossed my mind and I wanted to do some research to see exactly what that consists of.  Considering jerk face has not been in our lives since I found out I was pregnant.  This is what I found:  

How do I adopt a step-child?

Under Colorado law, a child can be adopted by a step-parent if the parent that the child lives with agrees, and if the parent that the child does not live with either:

Had abandoned the child for a year or more
            Has not supported the child, without good reason, or
            If one parent has legal custody, and the non-custodial parent consents to the adoption.

I am excited that it looks like it might be a bit easier than I initially thought!!!  Just wanted to share, because initially I was going to reach out for advice if anyone has already gone through step parent adoption!!
    I think this part means that the non-custodial parent has to give up all of their parental rights.  In  NY I'm pretty sure they would have to be served.  We want to do the same since BM doesn't pay child support or see him regularly enough, and being that SS will have sibling/siblings now DH and I don't want him apart from them g-d forbid something should ever happen to DH.  My heart would break if I had to give him back to her. 

• Yes!  He would definitely have to give up all his rights! After logging onto the Child Support Enforcement website just looking to see if he filed taxes and anything came through, I found that he owes $8,500.  I understand that he would probably still need to be served, but I guess I thought since he has abandoned her for more than a year and not provided support with no good reason then he knocks out two of the three qualifications for a step parent to adopt.  He never came to court once for custody or child support.  We are waiting until we get married to fully pursue the adoption.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"