September 2012 Moms

Swim Diapers - Disposable or Reusable?

We're going to Mexico in 2 weeks and I've yet to decide on swim diapers for A & C.  So tell me... Do you use disposable or reusable ones?  Give me the pros and cons of each if you've tried both.  TIA!
Double the love
photo Eastercollage_zps0735f04a.jpg
7/30/12 - B/G twins born at 33w4d due to PPROM

Re: Swim Diapers - Disposable or Reusable?

• I use both, well my reusable is an old cloth diaper cover. The reusable ones are for swimming at home. And, I use disposable when we go swimming at a public pool. I do it for the cost savings since we swim at home almost everyday. Plus, not all of our public swim areas allow reusable diapers so it's easier to pack disposable the few times we go out swimming.

• Mom2Mack1 said:
    I use both, well my reusable is an old cloth diaper cover. The reusable ones are for swimming at home. And, I use disposable when we go swimming at a public pool. I do it for the cost savings since we swim at home almost everyday. Plus, not all of our public swim areas allow reusable diapers so it's easier to pack disposable the few times we go out swimming.
    This is smart.. I would've never thought of this!!
  • Loading the player...
  • We've always used disposable. We don't swim that often. However, I was looking into swim class, and the facility's rule is that babies wear a disposable, covered by a reusable, so I guess I'll be purchasing a reusable one or two as well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• jessk86 said:
    Mom2Mack1 said:
    I use both, well my reusable is an old cloth diaper cover. The reusable ones are for swimming at home. And, I use disposable when we go swimming at a public pool. I do it for the cost savings since we swim at home almost everyday. Plus, not all of our public swim areas allow reusable diapers so it's easier to pack disposable the few times we go out swimming.
    This is smart.. I would've never thought of this!!

It works really well.

• I'm curious, if you use the reusables, which brand do you use?

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• Eastie156 said:
    I'm curious, if you use the reusables, which brand do you use?
    I want to know this too. I have the iplay one from Target in a XL and it squeezes his little chunky thighs. Any other brand rec's?

• Reusable, the double as swim bottoms! I like My Swim Baby best because of the side snaps and the price ($4.99)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • danabsddanabsd member
    We use both because our swim school requires a double diaper. For vacation I would personally use disposables. I wash the cloth ones in between uses. I didn't one time and it SMELLED like pee after use two. I have no desire to deal with washing on vacation.

• danabsddanabsd member
    Eastie156 said:

iPlay and Finis. Finis is on Zulily frequently for about $8 a diaper. They sell iPlay at Target for $10. IMO, they work the same.

• danabsd said:
    We use both because our swim school requires a double diaper. For vacation I would personally use disposables. I wash the cloth ones in between uses. I didn't one time and it SMELLED like pee after use two. I have no desire to deal with washing on vacation.
    Ahhh, your siggy! So cute.

• danabsd said:
    iPlay and Finis. Finis is on Zulily frequently for about $8 a diaper. They sell iPlay at Target for $10. IMO, they work the same.
    Do you think the Finis might have a little more stretch? They have it on Amazon and I was about to purchase. I have only found the iPlay in a XL at Target and I need it a little bit bigger so it doesn't leave marks on T's thighs.

• danabsddanabsd member
    kdsmith43 said:

danabsd said:

Eastie156 said:

Do you think the Finis might have a little more stretch? They have it on Amazon and I was about to purchase. I have only found the iPlay in a XL at Target and I need it a little bit bigger so it doesn't leave marks on T's thighs.

I have both in the same size. I can compare later today and let you know. :)

• danabsddanabsd member
    melody921 said:

danabsd said:

Ahhh, your siggy! So cute.

Thank you Melody. <3

• danabsd said:
    danabsd said:
    I have both in the same size. I can compare later today and let you know. :)
    That would be awesome, just whenever you have a chance... I know your hands are full! :)

• We always rinse out all swim stuff and I've never had the diaper smell unless they get forgotten about for more than a day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Reusable for us too. Bummis swimmi is the brand we use. Love that it goes on like a regular diaper rather than speedo style so it's easier to remove. They are a sized diaper and each one has lasted through weekly swim lessons for both kids and the Velcro is still holding! I have the smaller size ones packed away for #3 if we make the plunge
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have two reusable swim diapers and love them. 

Me: 27 DH: 28
    Diagnosis: PCOS, irregular cycles, old lady eggs. DH is fine.
    Started TTC in January 2010. BFP December 25, 2011 between IF appts. 
    DD born August 31, 2012
    Began TTC again in Jan. 2013. 
    Four rounds of Clomid - BFN
    Fifth round of Clomid September/Oct - cancelled
    HSG scheduled for Oct. 30 - Tubes all clear
    December: Round one of Femara  - BFN
    Round two - ? 

image image image
  • hmp1hmp1 member
    I have the Honest brand reusable and usually double up with a disposable because most places we go require it. When we swim at our neighbors house, I did reusable. But James had a runny poop one time and just the reusable wasn't enough. For vacation, I do disposable because it is just easier.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• I use iplay swim diapers.

• kdsmith43 said:
    Eastie156 said:
    I want to know this too. I have the iplay one from Target in a XL and it squeezes his little chunky thighs. Any other brand rec's?
    That was the brand I was thinking of..

• HyalineHyaline member
    For travelling, disposable.  I'm usually stretched enough when travelling, I don't need to worry about cleaning out poopy diapers on top of it!

But for everyday, at home, or our local pool, reusable.  Our local pool actually "requires" reusable, but they aren't exactly strict on that policy (we used a disposable once last year and no one said anything).
  • AlinnJoAlinnJo member
    We use reusable. I actually just use the shell of the pocket diapers I got off of zulily. They are the simply cloth brand. Website is justsimplybaby.com. @kdsmith43‌ They are adjustable and work well with Quinn's monster thighs!! ;)
                         Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I use resusable when we go to the pool for just fun swim or swimming lessons etc. But when we spend the weekend at a hotel swimming all the time I use disposables because I found the re-useable would take time to dry.

I have Apple Cheeks brand (a local company) and I really like it. I've had the same one since he was 3 months old- it has so many snaps that it adjusts well.

• @kdsmith43 I didn't forget about you! I just had to find the Finis one.
    The Finis leg holes are slightly bigger and it's a little thinner which may make it looser. In the 12-18m size the iPlay is rated 22-25lbs whereas the Finis is 22-28lbs. If that helps. :)

• When we were in Mexico, I used disposables because it was just easier.  But we've also used an older BG (pocket CD) without the inserts, too, and it worked fine.

Regardless- dont' forget that the swim diapers are only designed to hold in poop. They will pee through them, so change into a 'real' diaper when you get out of the pool!
    @cheeseandrice Agreed. Learned this lesson the hard way last summer when I put E into his stroller from the pool without changing him first- I had to scrub the pee smell out of his stroller.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"