December 2013 Moms

Sick baby/humidifier

Ugh, LO is sick for the first time & it is so sad!! She has a fever & is super congested, with a runny nose too. She is waking up a ton because of having trouble breathing. :(. I'm wondering if maybe a humidifier would help, but I can't remember what kind helps with this, warm or cool, & why? Any other thoughts on what might help either? I appreciate the suggestions, TIA!

Re: Sick baby/humidifier

• thebobloblawthebobloblaw member
    edited June 2014
    I believe the only reason they recommend cool vs. warm is for the burning hazard. We have a warm mist one now and it definitely helped our LO sleep a little better when she was sick.
  • lisa1129 said:

Cool mist humidifier, Baby Vicks on the feet, snot sucker, elevate one end of the crib mattress. Maybe Tylenol for the fever. There's no cold medicine that's safe for this age, unfortunately.

Is it cool mist just because of the age? I think I remember having a warm mist one when I was little
  • Loading the player...
  • I use a cool mist bc of bacteria growth and burning factor when LO is a bit older.

Obviously both cool and warm will have bacteria growth but I feel like the warm has more/faster growth.
  • saline drops make a huge difference and help a lot, I also rub my babies back with natural vaporub not vicks.. and the humidifier
    imageimageimage

• Second saline drops. And cool mist is best but we have a warm mist and works fine. Plus Vicks also makes a liquid to oh into a warm mist humidifier that my pedi approved and was a lifesaver for a while there
  • Okay I will be going to get the baby Vicks & humidifier today. One more question, even with the cool mist humidifier do you think it's okay to use in the heat? It's so hot here, that even with the air on, I worry that with it being warm AND humid with that on that it might be rough for her. :/.
  • Haha yup I did a lot of nose Frida & snot sucking yesterday, & used saline drops too. Sadly I now know what everyone was talking about with the nose wiping/snot sucking. She used to think it was funny but now that she's sick she cries so bad. :(. We're doing Tylenol for the fever too. I want to try elevating the bed tonight to see if that helps.
  • jordanm24 said:
    Okay I will be going to get the baby Vicks & humidifier today. One more question, even with the cool mist humidifier do you think it's okay to use in the heat? It's so hot here, that even with the air on, I worry that with it being warm AND humid with that on that it might be rough for her. :/.
    We live in a very dry climate and run a cold mist humidifier in LOs room every night. When he was sick this wasn't enough, so we also place our vaporizor in his room for a few hours to get the humidity level up. His room did seem a little "muggy" to me, but he breathed and slept so much better. Plus it was for a short term and we would dry out his room during the day to make sure the extra moisture wouldn't cause bacteria and mold growth.

Not bumping on The Bump anymore

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Great Support, Great Conversations, and more than just Cloth Diapering at our new home

• thesportsgalthesportsgal member
    edited June 2014
    In addition to what everyone said, we used Hyland Cold Tablets too.  They seemed to work for us. 

We ended up taking LO to the pedi when she got her first cold because she was running a fever too.  He said the same thing (humidifier, Tylenol, snot sucker, etc) but watch her ears because it can lead to an ear infection pretty quick. 

• We do Vicks vapor rub, humidifier, bulb sucker, boogie wipes, and hylands cold tablets - you give them every 15 minutes for an hour. Work wonderfully.
    That's what we thought about the Hylands tablets too.  The teething ones are great and my husband even bought some ear drops for HIS ear infection!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"