Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Indoor Activities for 19 mo

DS is in daycare during the day, but at night when we are home, I am trying to find fun things for us to do inside until bedtime. We go for walks and play outside when its nice out, but here its been raining/storming a lot so I am running out of ideas! We play with all his toys ( and hes got alot!) but I can tell when he's getting bored with that. We sing songs and dance. I have tried playdoh and crayons, etc. but they do that during the day and it doesn't really hold his attention at night. He's VERY active so he likes to constantly be moving doing something. Any ideas?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Indoor Activities for 19 mo

• Options
    DS loves a good bath.  That can keep him entertained for awhile if necessary.  He also loves to "read" so he'll either read one of his books to us or vice versa.

I guess I don't understand why you have to find things to keep him entertained, though.  Getting "bored" isn't the worst thing in the world and allows your kid to explore his imagination and environment.  We tend to let DS do what he wants when we get home for the day (also in DC full time) and just step in if he's about to do something dangerous, or we need him to start getting ready for his bedtime routine.
  • Options
    LSU628LSU628 member
    Pillow forts? Obstacle course with the couch cushions and pillows? We play with puppets and DS is really big into pretending he is a cat. He crawls, meows and rubs against me. I gave him a little bowl from DD"s kitchen set and he pretends to eat out of the bowl. What about bubbles in the bath tub- just throwing out random ideas. At one point I had DD's art easel inside. She "painted" with a brush and water, or use the chalk on the other side.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Our 17 month old DS is very active, so we have a Cozy Coupe, a riding musical "scooter" and a musical push "walker" in our open area/foyer to run/ride around in. He also loves opening and closing cabinets, so I just let him go through our bottom kitchen cabinets and "rearrange" stuff. We have loads of cabinet space, so nothing breakable or dangerous is within reach. He loves the tupper ware and pots and pans.
  • Options
    I don't necessarily HAVE to find things for us to do. He is fine playing by himself or running around. I just feel bad after not seeing him all day that I want us to do things together if that makes sense?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My son is 17 mo and very active as well, but he goes to bed early so we don't have a ton of time to spend. I don't do a lot of organized stuff though and let him lead the way. If I don't have chores or cooking to do, I will sometimes just sit in the middle of the living room (where we have lots of his toys on a shelf) and tell him I want to play with him. Some days he will come over to me with a book or toy and we will play, some days he will want to climb all over me and "wrestle," and some days he's like "whatever, Mom. I'm very busy over here playing with this box, thank you very much." 

I'm of the "let them have time to be "bored" and figure it out" philosophy, and this approach has worked well for us.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @MommaHen1984‌ I get that. We still let DS do what he wants and follow his lead rather than have set "activities" to do with him. Let's him explore what he wants, but we're still getting our time in with him since we are apart for the day.
  • Options
    Make a ball pit with a pack and play or toddler pool and some balls. 
  • Options
    TheEditorTheEditor member
    edited June 2014
    My 18 month old LO is in love with playing KA-BOOM!  I pile a bunch of stuffed animals, pillows, and blankets on the floor, and he runs and jumps into them over and over again.  We also toss a blanket over him and he has fun wriggling out of it.  We find it's good physical activity for our little Energizer-bunny.  We also do some light wrestling and play "flying" by lying on the floor, having him line up at my feet, then lifting him up Superman-style with my legs.  (ETA) We also chase each other around the house and down the hallway.  Either "Mommy's coming to get you!" or "Oh, no!  LO is coming after me!"
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"