November 2014 Moms

Henry vs. Brody

I LOVE the name Henry for a boy. My son's name is Hunter, and I think they go well together, and my daughter's name is Charlotte and I think that Henry goes with that as well. 

My husband wants the name Brody STRICTLY b/c his fave movie is Jaws and one character is Chief Brody. I am a teacher and have seen the whole 'Br' name trend hit hard, and I also visualize and associate Brody as a 'renegade' (past students), haha! I visualize Henry as a sweet little boy. After my son Hunter, we need sweet.... no more renegade! 

If I tell any of our friends the name choices, it is pretty much a 75/25 split in favor of Brody. I am not putting too much stock in their opinion b/c they are the same people who hated the name Charlotte for my daughter (and have all changed their minds apparently).

CanI get your honest opinions? I'm not saying it will change my mind on the name, but I just want to see what a bigger pool of people think.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Henry vs. Brody

• I really like Henry as well. Pretty timeless and I agree that it goes better with Charlotte!
  • Loading the player...
  • My cousins name is Brody, and I really hated it when he was first born (he is way younger than me) but it has really grown on me over the years.

I do not LOVE/HATE either but I would probably end up picking Brody.
  • I personally like Henry better. Seems like a scholarly name. Brody seems more wild child to me like you mentioned.

I feel like William would go well with your names too. Just to throw it out there.
  • MaelaraMaelara member
    Brody :) I feel the opposite as you other ladies. To me it says sweetie.
  • I like Henry- it is more of a "timeless" name, and would fit much better with Charlotte. 

btw- Henry and Charlotte are on our "short lists"!
  • Henry ALL THE WAY. It sounds so much better with your LOs. Plus, he seriously wants to name your child after a character from a horror movie? No. His point is invalid. The end. 

N14 Nov. Siggy: CELEBRATION!

image image
    TTC since 2011
    Aug. - Sept. 2013 - dIUIs = BFNs
    January 2014 - IVF = 3 freezer babies
    March 2014 - FET of AA and AB blast = BFP! Twins! 
    Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
    image image

image image image image 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • If this LO is a boy his name will be Henry. Love the name :)
    Audrey is going to be a big sister!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I vote for Henry, too! Both names are nice though. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimage
  • I like the name Brody better. Henry seems old to me. But apparently old is in style now so I say name him whatever you like best!
  • morrkimmorrkim member
    I prefer the name Henry.
    Lilypie - Personal picture    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie - Personal picture    
  • takmjstakmjs member
    I like Henry better. Brody to me sounds like a brute type name. Henry is an older name, and I think because it reminds me of charlottes web, I like Henry (opposite of a PP).
  • My little cousin is Brody. He is the absolute sweetest little boy, definitely not a renegade. I vote for Brody!!

Married:  08.17.2013
    Sweet Angel Baby: 02.01.2014
    Emerson Shay:  10:28:2014
    Two Fur Babies:  Talli Mae and Lexi

• Henry for sure. Really don't like Brody.
  • lisarenlisaren member
    edited May 2014
    My BFF growing up now has a son named Harrison and he's seriously the cutest boy ever! So I love Harrison!

Ya know cause my opinion counts ;). Hahahahaha

• @lisaren‌ I love the name Harrison. It's on my short list of names.

While I do like the name Henry, it seems that everyone I met is named Henry and it's especially popular for little boys. I like the name Brody because it has some character and he wouldn't be one of 4 in his class.

Pregnancy Ticker

• i would prefer brody because it seems everyone is naming their child henry these days. 
    TW*** Child and loss mentioned
    Married 10/12
    DS 11/14
    Ectopic 2/16
    PCOS/Ovulation Dysfunction 11/16
    IUI x 3- BFN
    Laparoscopy 3/17 Endo and tubal damage
    IVF- 4/17- 40 eggs retrieved, 10 blasts, 7 pgs tested embryos
    FET- 6/17- BFP!
    Due Feb 15, 2017
  • LilwatzLilwatz member
    I like them equally as much.  Both super cute.  I will echo @brooklyngirl18 and say I know a bunch of Baby Henrys right now and no Baby Brodys, so if the decision could be on if you want common or not.  We prefer common, but many do not!  :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Lilwatz said:
    I like them equally as much.  Both super cute.  I will echo @brooklyngirl18 and say I know a bunch of Baby Henrys right now and no Baby Brodys, so if the decision could be on if you want common or not.  We prefer common, but many do not!  :)
    Haha, I think it is so funny, I know NO Henry's, but I teach kindergarten and there are about 5 Brodys in the total of 6 kinder classrooms (and 1 of my kids has a little brother named Brody). Maybe it is regional?

Anyway, thank you ladies!! I feel so much better about the name choice, I my hubby finally said OK to Henry :) 
  • LilwatzLilwatz member
    Lilwatz said:
    Haha, I think it is so funny, I know NO Henry's, but I teach kindergarten and there are about 5 Brodys in the total of 6 kinder classrooms (and 1 of my kids has a little brother named Brody). Maybe it is regional?

Anyway, thank you ladies!! I feel so much better about the name choice, I my hubby finally said OK to Henry :) 
    Ha!  That is so funny how these things work!  Most of the Henrys I know are in New England if that helps figure it out...  ?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I prefer Brody, I think it is such a nice name. Good luck deciding, know that whatever you choose, someone will be a jerk about it and don't let it get to you.
  • Lilwatz said:
    Lilwatz said:

Ha!  That is so funny how these things work!  Most of the Henrys I know are in New England if that helps figure it out...  ?
    maybe you're right i live in ny and hear it a lot but don't hear brody. i also am not around children alot. congrats on your decision! didn't mean to come off rude.
    TW*** Child and loss mentioned
    Married 10/12
    DS 11/14
    Ectopic 2/16
    PCOS/Ovulation Dysfunction 11/16
    IUI x 3- BFN
    Laparoscopy 3/17 Endo and tubal damage
    IVF- 4/17- 40 eggs retrieved, 10 blasts, 7 pgs tested embryos
    FET- 6/17- BFP!
    Due Feb 15, 2017
  • I absolutely ADORE the name Henry! I think it sounds much better with your other children's names than Brody!! I might be a little biased though..as we used the name Henry for one of ours:)..and my parents last dog was named Brody..so I have a hard time with that as a name for a person..lol.
  • so72409so72409 member
    LOVE Henry--it's on our short list, too.  I love the nn Hank! :)  I would agree with you on 'Brody' as a renegade name--but I'm also in the education field and have had my fair share of "Br" renegade boys as well.   Also, Henry flows wonderfully with your other children's names. 
  • I like " Brody" it's different, Henry just too common for me.
  • Lilwatz said:
    Lilwatz said:

maybe you're right i live in ny and hear it a lot but don't hear brody. i also am not around children alot. congrats on your decision! didn't mean to come off rude.
    It didn't come off as rude! I think that it is funny how people are sq quick to say, "Everyone is naming their kid that!" when it isn't true. It may true for that person's circle, but when I named my daughter Charlotte and asked opinions about it on the names board a couple of years ago, a few people said that everyone was using Charlotte and it was overused by the time I chose it, but my pediatrician JUST had her baby and told me that the name was going to be Charlotte and out of curiosity she looked up the name in the patient list and out of a 5 doctor practice in Houston, said that only 1 CHarlotte came up.... mine. 

I don't really let what people think get to me, but I do like to hear opinions. It's what you do with those opinions that really matters :)

Thank you everyone!!  
  • colstj1colstj1 member
    Love the name Henry for a boy!
  • Henrik was our top name for a while. I think it is more manly/sexy/powerful/strong sounding for once the kid is grown, but you can still call him Henry when he's young. My husband picked it because he's a big hockey fan.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"