February 2015 Moms

Finding out gender

I haven't even had my first dr.'s appt (it's on 6/24) but I can't wait to find out what I'm having! How many weeks do you have to be to find out? And who here is going to wait and be suprised???
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Finding out gender

• AF9211AF9211 member
    With our daughter, we were able to schedule our ultrasound/anatomy scan between 18 and 20 weeks. I was anxious and wanted to see if we could find out the gender sooner, but here in PA, elective 3&4D ultrasound places won't see you unless you've had your anatomy scan first with your OB. We plan to find out the gender of baby #2 again because we're too excited to wait 40 weeks!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We found out at 18 weeks during our anatomy scan (2 weeks early because I was going to be traveling) Hoping to find out atleast by 18 weeks, but may consider an elective u/s at 16.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I found out at 18 weeks at my anatomy scan (and confirmed with DNA analysis since I had an amino to rule out Down syndrome) My SIL found out at 14 weeks with a blood test (although personal I would want to see it)
    BFP - 9/18/11 ----- m/c 9/23/11
    BFP - 7/16/12 ----- EDD 3/27/13  ----- Born 4/5/13
    BFP - 5/27/14 ----- EDD 1/31/14 or 2/4/15

BabyFruit Ticker
  • mahalo3mahalo3 member
    We haven't decided if we are going to find out. I want to know so we can decorate, but I really want to give birth and the doctor to say, "it's a boy!! (Or girl :) ) and to be so happy to finally know when they hand her (or him) to us. I like the fantasy! :) I meant for that to be a run on sentence.

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker
  • DjinnaGDjinnaG member
    At my preconception counselling, they told me we'd also be able to find out gender with the first trimester blood test for chromosomal problems (I'm over 40).  So should know before it can be seen on US, even.  Definitely want to find out, figure there's plenty of other surprises at the time of birth, I want to spread around what I can.  Besides, I suck at waiting for mysteries to unfold, always have to read spoilers for movies as I watch them.
    IUD removed 2/13/14
    BFP #1 5/23/14, blighted ovum discovered at 7 wks, Cytotec for missed miscarriage at 8 wks 6/26/14
    BFP #2 4/30/15, heartbeat gone at 8 wks, missed miscarriage again, Cytotec didn't work, D&C 6/12/15
    Biopsy discovered was a partial molar pregnancy, on BC for 6 month wait and test
    Trying again with Follistim/HCG trigger shots beginning January 2016
  • I'm having a CVS at 10 weeks, so I'll probably find out a week or two after that. My BFF is going to get a treat from her favorite bakery so DH and I can find out privately.
  • Jay_CeeJay_Cee member
    We didn't find out the first time and that moment of finding out after birth was amazing.

This time I'd like to find out at the anatomy scan. I think it would be fun to experience it both ways! My office won't do the anatomy scan until you are 20 weeks.
    J+C est. 6.22.08
    Adele Lorraine b. 7.13.11

BabyFruit Ticker
  • PeziPezi member
    edited May 2014
    I found out with an elective ultrasound at 16 weeks last time and will definitely being doing that again. It was just to see the baby for fun and watch them vs sitting uncomfortably for an hour why they look at the A/S. So it was so enjoyable for us. Plus, I am super impatient!! And I am in the it's a surprise still, just 20+ weeks sooner group:)
    BFP: 5/23/14 Baby #2 (It's a Girl!: Madeline Jenny):
    Brooklyn Elise: 
    imageimageimage

• We both definitely want to find out, but are going to try not to tell anyone. This is our first and the first in either of our immediate families. We'd like to have more than one eventually and want to be able to re-use as much as possible regardless of what the sex of either of them is! And as soon as we tell anyone in our families it is sure to unleash an onslaught of (very very generous, of course) blue or pink clothes, toys, etc. We're trying to keep it all to green and yellow ;)
    Married 5/27/13
    Anniversary

Baby#2
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD#1
  • triplej9triplej9 member
    edited May 2014
    Originally my doctor told us we would have to wait until our 16 week appointment to find out, but the nurse who did my ultrasound at 12 weeks tipped me off saying it was 'obviously' a boy! I am definitely going to have to find out again - there is no way I can wait!

EDIT: 

This is off topic... but I have tried changing my sig about 3 different times because it is clearly out of date! It shows that is changed in my account settings, but when I post, it still shows my old sig. Any ideas?

BabyFruit Ticker

• We found out at the a/s at 19 weeks. We did do a 3d ultrasound later and had it confirmed. We will find out again this time.

I'm trying to be more relaxed about it bc the first time I wanted a boy so bad and was convinced it was going to be. When I found out it was a girl I was upset about it. After I felt very foolish about convincing myself about something I had no way of knowing and I hated that I was upset. Obviously it didn't take long to get over and I couldn't have be happier in the end!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We found out at the a/s at 19 weeks. We did do a 3d ultrasound later and had it confirmed. We will find out again this time.

I'm trying to be more relaxed about it bc the first time I wanted a boy so bad and was convinced it was going to be. When I found out it was a girl I was upset about. After I felt very foolish about convincing myself about something I had no way of knowing and I hated that I was upset. Obviously it didn't take long to get over and I couldn't have be happier in the end!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jnm9jem said:
    Originally my doctor told us we would have to wait until our 16 week appointment to find out, but the nurse who did my ultrasound at 12 weeks tipped me off saying it was 'obviously' a boy! I am definitely going to have to find out again - there is no way I can wait!

EDIT: 

This is off topic... but I have tried changing my sig about 3 different times because it is clearly out of date! It shows that is changed in my account settings, but when I post, it still shows my old sig. Any ideas?
    Technically there are 2 places to change it...and if it you change it under "my account", it won't show as updated. If you go to the first page of the Feb 2015 board, right under the brown header are 4 icons, click the person, then on the left you will see a link for signature settings under your picture.

BabyFruit Ticker

• amt0312amt0312 member
    Last time around, we found out at 15wks due to me taking the Maternity21 test, but our official anatomy scan was at 17 weeks. We will definitely be finding out again this time around!
  • We plan on finding out but we're going to have a gender reveal with our immediate family so we can find out with them there. We'll just have the u/s tech write it on a piece of paper and put in an envelope and then we'll take it to a bakery to have a cake made with pink or blue frosting inside of it. I love gender reveals!
  • It was a surprise for our first child. Best surprise ever. It was nice having that reveal as an extra gift for the 20 hour natural birth I had. I definitely want another 'surprise'.
  • It ranges from 16-20 weeks. 16 isn't totally definite, so it's better to wait. We had our anatomy scan at 20 weeks, but we were team green up until her birth. With this one we plan to do the same thing. 

image image
    imageimage
  • Being team green was so special last time but I don't think my husband can hold out this time...it'll have to be a big discussion because I think it'd be too hard for him to know and me to not.  I would read into everything he says. I personally would like to stay team green though. We shall see.
    PitaPata Dog tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #2 11/6/13 - EDD 7/14/14 - blighted ovum discovered @ 7w - natural m/c @ 10w3d

BFP #3 5/25/14 - EDD 2/1/15 - Hoping this is our 2nd little owl Lilypie Maternity tickers

A/S findings: Baby is a girl! EIF found on heart :( but maternit21 came back neg for chromosome disorders!!

• DjinnaGDjinnaG member

kkleigh10 said:
    For those who found out early via blood test, is this something that was done due to a high risk pregnancy or is it an elective that anyone could get? My husband and I want to find out asap and I'm wondering if my ob would do the blood test. Obviously I'll ask her at the first appointment, but just curious what other's experiences have been.
    Mine suggested doing a blood test due to the risk from my age.  Mentioned as an aside that the gender reveal is a bonus of checking for chromosomal problems.  From what I understand, insurance might not cover if there aren't risk factors.  Though I also understand that they're becoming more commonly accepted for under-35s as well, your doc might balk if she thinks you're more interested in having it done to find out gender instead of detecting a problem.
    IUD removed 2/13/14
    BFP #1 5/23/14, blighted ovum discovered at 7 wks, Cytotec for missed miscarriage at 8 wks 6/26/14
    BFP #2 4/30/15, heartbeat gone at 8 wks, missed miscarriage again, Cytotec didn't work, D&C 6/12/15
    Biopsy discovered was a partial molar pregnancy, on BC for 6 month wait and test
    Trying again with Follistim/HCG trigger shots beginning January 2016
  • Being our first, my husband and I both originally said that we wanted it to be a surprise-- but this morning he made a statement about "when can we find out the sex?" -- it doesn't really matter to me. Part of me wants the surprise but the other part of me will be fine with planning and purchasing little bow ties or frilly dresses :) (getting a lil ahead of myself again!) If we do end up finding out, I want to plan a cute reveal for our families!

Married 12.14.12 TTC 01.01.14 BFP 02.26.14 MC 03.07.14 TTC again 05.01.14               
    BFP 05.27.14  Beyond excited and giddy with anticipation! EDD 2.2.15

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We are planning on finding out. My husband wants a boy so bad that I feel if its a girl he's going to need the extra time to adjust. Personally as long as the baby is health I don't care what we have. I feel you get more practical gifts at your baby shower when you don't know the sex...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • blt12blt12 member
    My husband and I are team green! I did an internship in the OB department a few years ago and I just liked all of the extra excitement that came with not knowing the gender. However, we may cave before that time comes, too. :) 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Me: 24 DH: 25
    BFP: 5/31/14 EDD: 2/14/15 MC: 7/6/14
    BFP: 12/11/16 EDD: 8/20/17 

• We knew what they baby would be before we even knew I was pregnant. We had frozen embryos that had been PGD tested so we knew the sexes.

With my twins, we were told at 12w by the u/s tech and the MFM that they looked like definitely one girl, probably two girls. At 16w, we were told by the u/s tech B/G and by the MFM B/B. At 19.5 weeks, everyone agreed that they were both boys.
    m/c 7/17/10
    Dx: MFI- 3% morph
    IUIs: Gonal-F + Ovidrel + b2b IUI= BFNs
    IVF with ICSI= BFP! EDD 11/25/11
    3/18- Beta #1 452! 3/20- Beta #2 1,026!! 3/27- First u/s- TWINS!
    Our twin boys arrived at 36w5d due to IUGR and a growth discordance

FET: Medicated FET moved up to 5/23 due to ovulation
    Transferred a 6BB hatched blastocyst- genetically normal female embryo
    BFP! 5/28- 5dp6dt      
    6/1 Beta #1- 223! 6/3 Beta #2- 567!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"