January 2014 Moms
Options

Heart Murmur & Ear Infection

So went to our 4 month well visit yesterday....and found an ear infection (she had a fever Mon-Wed, took her to the pedi on Tues and no ear infection was found then) and a heart murmur!

So they gave us Amoxycillan for the ear infection with a syringe. Any ideas/advice on how to make this process easier? She ends up spitting out about 1/3 of it and absolutely hates the whole process.

As far as the heart murmur, they are sending us to a cardiologist next week to have a chest xray and EKG done. Pedi thinks the murmur is small. Anybody have experience with this? I've been told by a lot of people this is NBD, but it's hard not to worry just a little bit.

Thanks!

Married June 2010.
DD born 1/13 via Csection at 41w5d after 47 hours of labor

Re: Heart Murmur & Ear Infection

• Options
    km_mdkm_md member
    Oh no! Poor little thing. At least the ear infection was caught pretty early since it wasn't there the other day. I have no experience with a heart murmur but I hope for the best for you.

As for the medicine, I go through this every day with DDs reflux meds. I do it the same way that the nurse at the pediatricians office does because it works best. I lay her down (usually on her playmat) and syringe a little bit at a time into the back of her cheek. She controls the swallowing this way but it isn't spilling out of her mouth. The medicine that tastes bad is much harder work and sometimes I have to rub her cheek to try and get her to swallow by reflex. It takes a while to get it all down but we manage. I hope you can find something that works!

• Options
    They make a pacifier that is open to add the meds to. Maybe that will work. Feel better baby.... And mom!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    amt0312amt0312 member
    When I give DD her medicine, I squirt a little bit in at a time in the back of her cheek and put a pacifier in her mouth so she starts sucking rather than push it back out. I have the pacifier pretty much already in her mouth as I give her the medicine. 

Sorry to hear about the ear infection and heart murmur. hope things get better soon!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear. Hope your LO feels better real soon. And good luck with her other tests for her murmur. I'm no expert on murmurs but I did work with kids, I'm an X-ray tech and see this a lot so it's common. I do hear that if the murmur is small enough they will outgrow it, if not they will keep an eye on it and it's minor surgery along the road to fix if needed. My friends husband has been living with a small murmur his whole life and he's been fine. HUGS!!
  • Options
    They make a pacifier that is open to add the meds to. Maybe that will work. Feel better baby.... And mom!
    I was going to suggest cutting the tip off of a soothie pacifier if you have one and then putting the syringe in the other end so she is sucking the medication as she sucks on the pacifier
    this is a great idea! I forgot I have a paci already that you can put medicine in one side! Thanks!!

Married June 2010.

• Options
    DD was born with a heart murmur and by her second doctor appointment it was gone. I was worried, but DH didn't seem to be.

My sister was also born with a heart murmur and 2 holes in her heart. When she was 1 she was supposed to have surgery to correct the holes, but they closed on their own. She had to go.to a cardiologist for a few years for the murmur, but it cleared up. She is 21 now and hasn't had to go back for years.

Sorry LO has an ear infection and a murmur. I hope she feels better soon and I hope the cardiology appointment goes ok.
  • Options
    cnctfcnctf member
    I was born with one. It never closed, nor did it ever grow. It never affected my daily life. I just was told that I couldnt join the military due to the strenuous activities. 
    image=
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks all for the support! She's doing a little better taking the meds - doing the blow in her face trick and it's working a little better!

Married June 2010.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"