Breastfeeding

Overly sleepy baby

I am EBF my 2-month-old but it's such a fight with her sleepiness. Whether she's had 1 hour or 3 or 6, she will fall asleep on the boob after 5 min. I've tried all the tricks - tickling, taking her clothes off, wet washcloth on her face/arms/legs, and laying her down next to me, which makes her mad and she wakes up. But once back on, she will fall asleep a minute later, no joke. Burping her puts her to sleep. I even change her diaper before switching sides, which usually wakes her, but again, only for a min or 2. So I can get, at most, and with a lot of struggling, 20 min of BF, but usually more like 15 min at best. I don't think she's starving or losing weight, but somehow this feels like a short feed. She used to do more like 25-30 min. Should I be concerned? Any other tips and tricks to keep her awake?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Overly sleepy baby

• Many babies get more efficient with age. If she is having enough diapers and seems satisfied I wouldn't worry too much. It may be reassuring to do a weighted feed or make an appointment for a weight check though if you want to make sure!

As for keeping babies awake tricks, blowing gently on baby's face and tickling were my go to moves that sometimes helped.

Good luck!
    Baby E born 1/29/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/24/2016

• haylo33haylo33 member
    The pediatrician said that babies that nurse longer than 15 minutes are just using the nipple as a pacifier. If baby is gaining weight and has enough wet/dirty diapers, I wouldn't worry
  • Loading the player...
  • jllmb79jllmb79 member
    At 3 months DD#1 would BF for about 4 minutes total. She was a chunky baby and very efficient. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ok tha ks everyone! We have our 2-month check up on Thurs so I'll see what progress we've made!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hope it goes well
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"