April 2014 Moms

Waking to feed?

At what point does/should this stop? LO had feeding/weight gain issues at first (she's 5 weeks tomorrow) and I had to wake her every 2 hours to eat. Now the ped says to try not to let her go longer than 3 or so hours during the day. She's been sleeping now for almost 3 hours. I hate to wake her since this is the first time she's napped all day!! But I also want her to sleep later, so I don't know what to do...

Re: Waking to feed?

• I've been having the same problems lately. Wish I had advice, but I never know when to wake him. Yesterday he slept a lot and then was fussy at night, but if he doesn't sleep then he is overtired and even more fussy.

• RachnanRachnan member
    I was told once LO was back up to birth weight to not wake him at all, and I never wake him to eat. I figure he'll wake when he's hungry!

**Warning - Child Mentioned**

Me: 33, DH: 39   Unexplained Infertility

4 IUIs (chlomid) in 2013 which resulted in DS born in April 2014

TTC #2 since August 2015

5 rounds of IUIs (1 chlomid: resistent, 1 femara, 3 gonal f) = all BFN

ER March 9: 26 eggs retrieved, 19 mature and 17 fertilized, 8 made it to genetic testing, 4 normal!

FET #1 5/31 = BFN

FET#2 7/26 = BFP!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Sorry- never had that issue, the longest Lo sleeps during the day is 45 minutes, but i'm pretty sure once they are at birth weight, just let them sleep.
  • Mmk724Mmk724 member
    I was thinking this same thing today. I wake my almost 6 week old during day every 3 hours with the thought that it will help him sleep at night. For those of you that don't wake to feed during the day, do you get enough feeds in which I understand to be 7 to 9 for breastfed babies?
  • We feed on demand. I don't wake him when he sleeps and he eats whenever he wants. It's working out really well for us, he's gained 3 inches and 4 pounds by his first month
  • hordolhordol member
    I guess of your ped wants you to wake him you probably should...though I probably wouldn't if not for that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Started dating February 6, 2012
    Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013
    Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

• Once Claire got to birth weight I stopped waking. Some days she only breast feeds 5 times; other days 12+ times. She's gaining weight and healthy so it works for us.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm with @poru on this--I wake to nurse LO every 3 hours during the day/evening, because I don't want her getting her 4-hour stretch in during the day.

• I totally just woke LO to feed. He had been sleeping for 5 hrs and I needed to give him his thrush medicine too :((
  • We try not to wake him during the day, but he usually wakes up on his own when he's hungry.  We know if he's asleep and hasn't eaten in over 3 hours, he's going to wake up and want to eat RIGHT NOW so we try to be prepared for that.   

Otherwise, the only time I wake him to feed is at 10pm. He goes to bed at 7, and I'll wake him up at 10 for a little "snack" right before I go to bed.  Then he'll sleep for 7 hours.   This way I get a good chunk of consecutive sleep (which is awesome because I'm going back to work tomorrow).  He never has any problem going back to sleep, and usually falls asleep on the boob at this feeding.  
    imageDSC_9275  image

• We only feed on demand, even though at one point DS was almost 2 pounds below birth weight. He's now 5w and over 11lbs. As long as your pedi is cool with it, you probably don't need to wake to feed after reaching birth weight. Babies know how to get what they need.

BFP #1 May 20, 2013   
    MC June 27, 2013   BFP #2 August 2, 2013   Baby Boy born 4/25/14 (3 weeks overdue!)
    April 14 August Siggy Challenge- "This time last year.."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"