Attachment Parenting

Three nights away from 15 month old

Hi all! I took a little Bump hiatus because life has been insanely busy, but I wanted to pop back in to ask for some tips/advice. I'm glad to see that some familiar SN's are still around. :)

My old college roommate is getting married out of state in about a month and I'm a bridesmaid. Because of DH's work circumstances he can't go. We decided that it would be better to leave DS (who will be 15 months old) at home. If he came with me, I'd either be no help to the bride- which is the whole point of me going- or I'd have to get a babysitter for the whole time and I don't know anyone in Vermont, now could I afford that on top of everything else I'm paying for. Anyway, all that is to say that I'm not looking for any advice that is going to tell me to just bring him with me. I would love to, but it's just not going to happen.

The advice I would like to hear is how to make sure this doesn't cause him to suddenly wean. I know he's not ready to wean and I'm not either. I'm planning on pumping from now til then so I have a little freezer stash for DH to give him (probably in sippy cups since he never really took a bottle), and then taking the pump with me to keep up my supply (although it'll probably pain me to pump and dump!).

Any tips/advice?

Re: Three nights away from 15 month old

• I was gone for 9 days when DS1 was 15 months old and it was fine. I didn't pump a lot either...just before bed and in the morning. It'll be ok. He went right back to nursing and we nursed until 2.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited May 2014
    I would pump every 5-6 hours, even for just 10 minutes, to keep your supply up and to prevent plugged ducts and other issues.

Some other things:

1. I'd ask DH not to wash your laundry so that you can shower and switch into an already-worn shirt (sounds gross, but it's worth it) when you get back. You might smell different, so that will help.

2. I'd plan to take some time for snuggling in bed, skin-to-skin, when you get home. If the old clothes and the skin-to-skin aren't enough to win his forgiveness (if those are even necessary...some kids are all "yay! Mom's home!"), maybe take a bath together.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks, ladies. That helps assuage my fears. The day after I get back is a day off of work for me, so I plan to snuggle my baby allllllll day long. :)
  • yeah.yeah. member
    Don't give up right away. I left both of mine for trips when they were nursing and both went on a brief (about a week) nursing strike when I got back. After about a week, they went back to it.
  • RDK24RDK24 member
    Newbie to this board, hope you don't mind me chiming in. I'm going through the exact same thing -- planning ahead for 3 nights away when my LO will be over a year and I don't want it to lead to weaning! Glad to read the encouraging replies so far.
  • I left my daughter multiple times for multiple nights and she never even thought to wean. I want to nurse were the first words out of her mouth when I got back home!
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm a flight attendant and leave once a week usually for 2 or three nights and my DD still loves to nurse.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've had to leave DD twice now - for 3 nights in Feb (unexpectedly), and this week for just one night. Both times, she went IMMEDIATELY back to nursing, and was basically a tiny barnacle after I got back.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have left DD a few times for several nights at a time.  When she was about 18 months I was gone 3 nights.  AT that point she was only nursing in the morning and at night so pumping was relatively easy, and I was able to bring all of my milk back home with me.  I called ahead to the hotel to make sure my room had a fridge and brought a freezer pack to keep it cold while I traveled home.  And there was no trouble when I came home with getting right back into the nursing routine with her.  She was just sooooo happy to see me!  You'll be just fine and so will she :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I left mine at 16 months, 20, 24, for up to 4 nights and nothing caused even the tiniest amount of weaning. I didn't need to do anything special other than pump and dump for my comfort. As soon as they saw me again the first thing they demanded was nursing
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"