November 2014 Moms

Oh those Mother in Laws - is this weird?

My mother in law just told my 8 year old son that his dad was going to a bar where guys hang out & watch girls dance (it's the night of a bachelor party), but my husband isn't into that scene, so he is taking his own truck while the guys take a bus & is leaving when that time comes....nothing to do with me, I could care less if he goes to a place like that, it's his own personal beliefs, would you be upset that your mother in law felt the need to tell your son that?  Or am I being a crazy pregnant lady?
~Jen
Married since 8.17.03
Mom to Richard 7.24.05, Ava 3.27.08, Isabella 5.19.09 & Timothy 10.22.14

Re: Oh those Mother in Laws - is this weird?

• I wouldn't like that ever, but I'm wouldn't be as chill as you are about the idea of my husband going to a strip club. I don't think I'd be mad at my mother in law enough to say anything to her and start family drama though. I'd probably just talk to my kid and tell him it was innopropriate that she said that to him and tell him to ignore any similar comments.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I just don't want to look like a freak....thinking I should probably just leave it alone, I'm going to make myself look ridiculous if I say something to her....so not necessary though!  I did ask my son casually, "oh, did nana say what the girls would be wearing??  Dresses maybe?"  Haha...my son just said she didn't say anything about that part....just girls dancing.  So not appropriate.  I haven't told my husband yet, but I'm pretty sure he will agree, that is not okay!
    ~Jen
    Married since 8.17.03
    Mom to Richard 7.24.05, Ava 3.27.08, Isabella 5.19.09 & Timothy 10.22.14

• Yeah, not okay. Something should be left for parents to explain to kids.

• I wouldn't say anything to her, but that's just me. Contrary to what it may look like around here, I don't like drama. ;) I always try to weigh things out in my head, I think to myself "how big of a deal is this?" And "is this something I'm going to quickly get over or do I need to address it?" If she continues to tell him adult stuff then I'd say something. I could see my own mom saying something silly like that and not thinking it through.

She definitely shouldn't have said that though.
  • Yeah I don't see a reason she needed to divulge that little bit of info to your son. I'd probably not take it as well as you are. 

N14 Nov. Siggy: CELEBRATION!

image image
    TTC since 2011
    Aug. - Sept. 2013 - dIUIs = BFNs
    January 2014 - IVF = 3 freezer babies
    March 2014 - FET of AA and AB blast = BFP! Twins! 
    Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
    image image

image image image image 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I don't think that it's appropriate for her to have that conversation with a child. She could have just said something like " daddy is spending some time with his friends today "
    As far as strip clubs, it doesn't bother me that DH goes. We actually go together at times. We usually just sit, drink and have convo with each other.
  • That sounds like something my mother would do. I mean, I love my mom and everything, but sometimes she talks without thinking things through.

I wouldn't have told my kids any more than "Daddy's going to a party with his friends." I can totally see my mother saying pretty much what your MIL said. I wouldn't be happy with it, but I doubt I would say anything about it as long as she didn't go into any more detail.

I also feel compelled to share what my husband and his best friend did for his bachelor party (in 2 weeks it'll be 13 years ago!). My dad and FIL told them at the end of the rehearsal dinner to meet them at Hooters and then afterwards they would go to a strip club. Dh and his best friend (the best man) never showed up. They went back to our place and played computer games til 1am.

And just for the record, I had nothing to do with it. Dh has a self imposed "Look but don't touch" rule, but would be very hard pressed to even go near a strip club. He's uncomfortable even in Hooters.

Miney 9/15/10
    Mo 11/4/14 
    Wait, What?!? - EDD 11/1/19
    Mothers get 1 day off

• Um yeah...that's super inappropriate. You can bet DH would be picking up the phone the next day to give his mother a piece of his mind.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"