Multiples
Options

Dud boob?

Just wondering if anyone has experience with a dud boob and BF twins. With DD, my left side would yield 5 oz and my right only 1 oz. nothing I tried evened it out, if my supply went up it went up in about the same ratio. I was hoping to tandem BF but would this make it impossible if it happens again?

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BFP#1: 11/20/11, EDD 7/25/12, Emily Iris arrived 7/29/12 at 7 lb., 3.5 oz.

BFP#2: 8/25/13, EDD 5/4/14, MMC confirmed on 9/23/13, D&C on 9/26/13

BFP#3: 2/3/14, EDD 10/15/14, fraternal TWINS confirmed 2/21/14, two BOYS confirmed on 4/15/14!

Re: Dud boob?

• Options
    No reason it would make it impossible, but it might be a challenge. If you switched them halfway through it should even out?
  • Options
    I had a dud left with my singleton, but I realized it was probably because I preferred to feed him on the right without realizing it much. I "thought" I rotated often but when I sat and thought about it I noticed my folly. I am also concerned and have already spoken with my LC about tandem feeding (I had all kinds of issues on my left - repeat yeast infections, plugged ducts, he bit that side only, etc.) and she assured me that BFing is just like a pregnancy. It differs wildly from baby to baby and no 2 experiences are a like. She has many moms who could BF #1 but not #2 or not #1 but great with #2 and so-on. If your babes are both good eaters with no lip or tongue ties then maybe your dud boob will have a better shot this time. I am praying for that myself!
    Me: 37 DH: 40 TTC since 9/09
    #1 BFP 1/10/11; missed m/c discovered 7w5d
    IF Dx: Endo, hetero MTHFR mutation, poor morphology
    #1 IUI: 1/18/12 = BFN
    #1 IVF/ICSI 4/2/12 = 2 x 7-cell and 1 x 5-cell transferred (3dt) = BFP!!
    H was born at 41w2d on 12/29/12 - be still my heart!
    #2 IVF/ICSI 1/19/14 = 2 x 8 cells transferred (3dt) = BFP!! EDD 10/09/14
    M&W born at 37 weeks on 9/18/14 - I am the momma of 3 boys!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Every baby's nursing relationship is different - if you have concerns about making sure your production is even, then make sure to switch boobs each feeding, I'd think.

Also know that pumping output isn't indicative of what a baby is actually getting, either. One boob may respond to the pump better than the other.

It is common to have one boob that produces more than the other. W my singleton, I had an obvious overproducer. W the twins I don't really. I have a more problematic boob - it gets clogged ducts all the time (so annoying) - and one that lets down faster than the other, but they've remained relatively. even producers.

• Options
    ppantsppants member

I had a hard time actually getting baby to breast due to a nipple shield/baby freak out combo so I pumped for about 6 weeks.  My right boob was pretty good.  My left not so much.  I tried NA beer, oatmeal, mother's milk tea, all without too much success in increasing my milk.

Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Options
    @carrotcake06‌ @4legsRbest‌ I only nursed DD for a couple weeks before switching to EP. Even after EP for 4 months nothing ever changed.

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BFP#1: 11/20/11, EDD 7/25/12, Emily Iris arrived 7/29/12 at 7 lb., 3.5 oz.

BFP#2: 8/25/13, EDD 5/4/14, MMC confirmed on 9/23/13, D&C on 9/26/13

BFP#3: 2/3/14, EDD 10/15/14, fraternal TWINS confirmed 2/21/14, two BOYS confirmed on 4/15/14!

• Options
    basil2basil2 member
    My left seems to be the better of the 2- with my singleton, it produced almost 50% more with the pump (won't know this time until I go back to work).
    This time I'm definitely having more right sided discomfort (I've been working at using them equally).
    I wouldn't assume you can't tandem feed- you may just need to be more careful about switching sides often.
  • Options
    Lazy Lefty hasn't kept me from nursing the twins, but I don't tandem often. I try to switch them every time and make sure they get equal turns on the right side.

Grant - 6/2/11
    Glenn and Caroline - 6/19/13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"