October 2014 Moms
Options

Name thoughts?

I know.  Another name post.  Go ahead and roll your eyes.  It's cool.  I'm rolling my eyes, too, but the name board kind of scares me.

DH and I have narrowed it down to two different names: Solomon and Carlisle.  At the moment, I am really digging Carlisle.  I swore up and down that I wouldn't share the name with family to avoid their negative opinions, but I broke down and asked my sister her thoughts.

She said that Carlisle made her think of Twilight and that it made me look like one of those Twilight moms.  I read the books once upon a time and completely forgot that there was a character in there with that name.  It was certainly not my first association.  She said it looked double bad because DS1 is Edwin Theodore.  Even though he goes by Theo, she said Edwin was too close to Edward, which looks like I got both of my kids' names from Twilight.

We have definitely narrowed it down to these two names, and I don't think having the association with Twilight would be the end of the world, so if it's the one we prefer, we'll use it regardless.  But is this everyone's initial reaction?  Am I doomed to have to justify our choice for the rest of my kid's life?

Re: Name thoughts?

• Options
    I haven't read Twilight, so I'm probably not the best person to ask. However, Carlisle is a great name, and if you want to use it, who cares what people will say? 

I prefer Solomon of the two names, but if you and DH love Carlisle, use it! :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Honestly, I do think of Twilight but I wouldn't assume that's why you chose that name. Good names though, whichever you choose.
    DS1 8/11/10 
    DS2 8/21/12
    DD 9/26/14
    Baby #4 edd 2/11/19 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Cantisa said:
    Personally, I prefer Solomon over Carlisle.Any NN's?
    Sol/Saul for Solomon or Car/Carl/Lyle for Carlisle, depending on how it happens to fall out of my mouth.  :)

Middle name would be Bradley.
  • Options
    I prefer Carlisle, but they both sound good. I don't think many people would make the Twilight connection. 
    BabyFruit Ticker 
    Married 8/09 to my love
    Our little shamrocks:
    M~4/11   W~12/12   E~due 10/14

• Options
    lct2008lct2008 member
    I definitely prefer Carlisle to Solomon personally.
    . Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    lrobi13lrobi13 member
    I do think about Twilight since that is the only Carlisle I have heard of in the last few years however I don't think Twilight has legs to be a thing for much longer so I think long term it should not be a factor!
  • Options
    ANGnJONANGnJON member
    I was sitting the fence between the two until you stated the middle name is Bradley, so my vote is for Carlisle. I just think it rolls together better, IMO
    Me: 37, DH: 42 Married March 22, 2003 TTC since early 2006, Fertility treatments since 02/2013 First Pregnancy with Twins EDD 10.24.2014
  • Options
    I like Carlisle best. I would not instantly think of Twilight and I own all the books and the movies.  In a few years it wont even matter. There will be some new movie craze and no one will remember Twilight.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Not going to lie. I thought of Twilight immediately. But I'm 23 so I was growing up during the fad. I like Solomon but my DH and I are going with biblical based names so that's probably why
  • Options
    Twilight is sooooo temporary. You think your kid or any of his friends are going to have any idea what their moms were obsessed with briefly in the early 2000's? No. Pick which not you like best. I actually like Solomon best.

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I love name post! I never watched or read twilight. I like the name solomon
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers                         

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I am not a big fan of Twilight but immediately thought of the books/movies. Although I love the name.

• Options
    I like Carlisle much better. I think most people have already forgotten about twilight, so I wouldn't worry.

Pregnancy Ticker
    DH and I have been married 3+ years. This is our first PG, and we are thrilled! 
    Can't wait to meet our baby BOY, Mateo in October!!
  • Options
    Twilight reference or not, I like Carlisle by itself. But since you mentioned that the middle name would be Bradley, I like Solomon better. 

Solomon Bradley flows better to me whereas Carlisle Bradley has a funny feeling to it... if that makes sense. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've read some of the Twilight books and it didn't cross my mind.  I don't mind Carlisle, but I really like Solomon with the nickname Saul. 

• Options
    MrsL2BMrsL2B member
    I prefer Solomon over Carlisle. I'm too old for Twilight, so Carlisle doesnt have that association for me. I think you'll find that to be more common as the years go by.
  • Options
    erawka said:
    I like Carlisle! And honestly if you called him "Carl" I'd be more likely to think "Walking Dead" than "Twilight." I think if you like it, go for it!
    My entire family is waaay too into TWD to be healthy, so Carl isn't my favorite NN choice, but I won't know what I will want to call him until he gets here.
  • Options
    MorganWP said:
    Twilight reference or not, I like Carlisle by itself. But since you mentioned that the middle name would be Bradley, I like Solomon better. 

Solomon Bradley flows better to me whereas Carlisle Bradley has a funny feeling to it... if that makes sense. 
    Solomon Bradley flows great for when he's in trouble, and Carlisle Bradley would sound nice announced at graduation, haha.  They definitely do flow differently!
  • Options
    I thought of Twilight right away but I'm a nerd like that.  I've read the books so many times it is hard not to think of them when I hear the more unique names.  Rose, Alice, Edward, Jacob...those don't phase me.  But Carlisle, Esme, Jasper....those I go to Twilight because it is the only context I have for them.

That said, I would think of it, not assume you named your child after a character in the book.
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• Options
    Naming your kid Harry Potter, on the other hand, may be more iffy. 

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Like PPs said, Twilight is a temporary thing. It's not like that plagiaristic writer has a claim to the names anyway. 

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• Options

I personally like both names.  I prefer Carlisle over Solomon, not sure why, just because...I am no Twilight fan, but just like SO many other fad movies, they are like a fart in the wind, I highly doubt 10 or 20 or more years from now people will draw any sort of association.

I also don't really see how Edwin and Edward are really that close...just my opinion...

• Options
    Nicb13 said:

Like PPs said, Twilight is a temporary thing. It's not like that plagiaristic writer has a claim to the names anyway. 

ZIP IT! TWILIGHT FOR LYFE!!!!!

TEAM EDWARD!!!!!

lol

Dude if I was going to be team anybody it'd be team Jacob. Even though he is a pedophile, he still has a tan.

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• Options
    I thought of twilight right away but I wouldn't automatically jump to the conclusion that is why you picked the name. Of the two I like Carlisle better.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options
    I like Solomon with the nickname Saul as well.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"