April 2014 Moms

Activities for 5 wk old?

Suzanne237Suzanne237 member
edited May 2014 in April 2014 Moms
I apologize if this has been discussed. Please let me know. But my son is 5 wks old. Are we supposed to be "doing" anything with him? I feel like everyday that I keep him alive that's a success! All he does is sleep, nurse, make dirty diapers and stare at the ceiling fan or want held for about 5-10 min after the diaper change. Then he just cries/screams like he's overly tired. I feel like all I do is react to his crying. Adding any actual learning activities into the mix just sounds overwhelming for me an over stimulating for him! Any thoughts?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Activities for 5 wk old?

• smushismushi member
    We're at 6 weeks, but last week, I'd put him on his play mat for about 20 minutes at a time and let him stare at that til he got fussy, or we'd walk around the house and talk about things, or stop and stare at ourselves in the mirror and laugh.  I also sing to him and play him music from youtube.  
  • I spend a lot of time making faces at her to get reactions, she will look and swipe at items on her activity gym. She is starting to makes sounds other than cries, so I repeat them back to her like we are having a conversation. I also sing the same song each time she gets changed, another when it's time to eat and talk through the routines to expose her to spoken language.
  • Loading the player...
  • mamrotu73 said:

DS tolerates his baby gym long enough for me to eat a quick snack now (at 6 weeks). I can usually make it through one or two short books with him. I also sing along to music I play through my phone while I make him dance to help when he is upset by gas. He is just starting to appreciate my funny face making skills. He also loves taking baths in our big tub with me. None of these activities last long though.

Other than that, he is sleeping, eating, soiling himself, or crying.

How long can you sit with baby in the bath?
  • Ok so I feel a little better. We "talk" and walk in circles and check out the cute baby in the mirror. Guess we're on track. So it's still basically about eat, diaper awake for maybe 10-15 min before he gets fussy and we swaddle him for bed. I wish he didn't need swaddled but he flails his arms and legs so much that it frustrates him and keeps him up. I'll have to pull out the activity mat now too.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't do much with my LO at this point either. Mostly what the others have written - a little tummy time and play may time, some singing, mostly diaper changes, feeding and trying to get her to fall asleep. She really fights sleep in the afternoons now - mornings and nighttime she is awesome about going to sleep. I am trying to get her interested in some of her little toys and she is just now acknowledging that they exist. She loves watching the mobile on her swing.

• We do tummy time then I will flip her on her back so she can look at all the toys hanging. We do this every night from 30-60min (started with about 10min then gradually increased as she became less fussy). We go for walks almost every day. And since she started smiling & laughing (6wks) we talk more & try to make her laugh. She is really becoming more responsive now so I feel I can interact more with her
    Lilypie - Eu0n
    BFP: 12/3/15     EDD: 8/11/16     IT'S A BOY!!!
    MAXIMUS POWERS   8♥5♥16

Lilypie - pXE7
    BFP: 8/5/13      EDD: 4/13/14     IT'S A GIRL!!!      
    AYLA BLAIR   3♥27♥14

• My DD is 5 weeks today and I feel the same. I've kept her alive this long, you mean there is more to it than just that!?! :-) I talk to her, sing, I have hanging toys I put on her bouncy seat/rock n play canopy. She didn't love her activity mat, but that was 2 weeks ago, so I know I need to give it a try again as she is more alert now. She has this brown and white stuffed cow we named Scooter and she likes looking at it and cooing at that so we play with him a lot. Other than that it's feed, diaper change, and keep her from screaming bloody murder (from the colic). Oh and if you look on YouTube for black and white pictures for infants, a lot of videos with music and black/white images and music comes up and so I'll play that for her on the iPad for 5 minutes to watch or until she fusses.
  • DS turned 5 weeks on Tuesday and we have recently been laying him on activity mat and bouncy seat, he really likes the swing- I put it on lowest setting and he swings and looks around and usually falls asleep. He is in the swing the majority of the day. I have also been using the moby wrap with him which he likes. So yea swing, bouncy, moby and play mat, also prop him up on boppy pillow and play
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @mamrotu73
    By float you mean he is on his back in the water? I guess you are holding him up? Do you worry about water getting in his ears? I want to try this with my guy, just not sure what is ok to do.
  • I've read that anything dark on a white back ground will hold their attention. (I assume that's why they love ceiling fans! Lol) I have a couch cushion that my LO stairs at for 15 min before getting bored. I've also read it's good to get their attention with your face or a toy and then move it to one side and try to get them to track it with their eyes. This will strengthen eye muscles and help them not look cross-eyed :)
  • mamrotu73 said:

mamrotu73 said:

DS tolerates his baby gym long enough for me to eat a quick snack now (at 6 weeks). I can usually make it through one or two short books with him. I also sing along to music I play through my phone while I make him dance to help when he is upset by gas. He is just starting to appreciate my funny face making skills. He also loves taking baths in our big tub with me. None of these activities last long though.

Other than that, he is sleeping, eating, soiling himself, or crying.

How long can you sit with baby in the bath?
    Until he gets hungry or the water cools. If I kept warming it, he would float there forever. The bath is probably his favorite place to be.
    I'm going to have to try this.

Side note. I have three rubber duckies that say if the water is too hot. I got one as a gift, one from the hospital, and the third from the pedi.
  • We go for a walk every evening and most afternoons. We use the swing, play mat and the vibrating bouncy seat every day. We do tummy time both indoors and out daily. We try to do something sensory daily and I expose him to new textures regularly. We go to play group weekly which gives me a chance to meet other moms. And lots of talking. I talk, read books or sing all day to expose him to language.
  • @Alana1977‌
    How did you find a play group? I would like to meet other local new moms & babies.

We go on walks every evening, have tummy time & play mat time, do baby massage after an evening bath, sing songs or listen to radio, dance around, and smile/make funny faces. LO loves to be carried in his baby carrier too. Other than that it's nursing, diapers, & naps mostly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"