Cloth Diapering

Is this Yeast? Another rash help thread

Danielle2482Danielle2482 member
edited May 2014 in Cloth Diapering
I've been dealing with on/off, usually almost clear in the morning and then more red as the day goes on.  We do EMAB or CJs at most changes.  We've tried switching to just prefolds because that's what we use at night and it's mostly cleared up after.  We noticed the other day that it gets red immediately as we wipe so we tried plain water and then tried washcloths instead of our flannel wipes.  Yesterday, it was the most red I've ever seen when he woke up from a nap so I tried waxalene instead.  He screamed at the next diaper change which has never happened before.  Today it is by far worse than ever and now I'm questioning if we are dealing with yeast.  Does this look like yeast to those who have dealt with it?  I feel like I've tried everything to get rid of it.  I'm switching from Nellie's to Tide this weekend and will try only diapers/wipes from that wash cycle for a few days but I just want to know sooner rather than later if it is yeast.  Most times it doesn't bother him.  There is nothing on his butt, just the front and inner thighs.

If it's not yeast, are there any suggestions besides what I've tried.  We use staydry (BG freetimes, Kawaii, or prefolds with liner) and natural (prefolds, simplex).

Edited: I think these pictures work now?

Re: Is this Yeast? Another rash help thread

• IME yeast stays bad and gets consistently worse. It wouldn't fluctuate like you've described.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • TJ1979TJ1979 member
    Eczema?
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I have found that once a rash has gotten past the mild redness stage, I need something stronger than CJ's. I tried EMAB during our early days of wetness sensitivity and was not impressed at all. I like Magic Stick or Waxelene for the wax, or better yet Grandma El's.

How did the rash look after Waxelene had been on it for a while? Better, worse, the same?

I haven't dealt with yeast but I seem to remember my pedi telling us it would be in the folds and creases if it were yeast.

Could it be contact related? Either wetness sensitivity or buildup on your synthetics?
  • unaveragejaneunaveragejane member
    edited May 2014
    Could it be ammonia burn? (I feel like I always think rashes are ammonia, but that seems to be what we get the most often.)

• Thanks for all of the opinions.  I'm so afraid of yeast that I wanted to make sure it's not that. 

How would I recognize ammonia burn and how do I fix that?

I'm going to order some grandma el's.  And I'm switching to tide tomorrow.  I have a full load of about 18 diapers and a full house water softener, would I do the 3rd line or the 2nd?

I did entire days of my Kawaii pockets, entire days of prefolds, and end entire days of simplex and there were no differences so I didn't think it was sensitivity to the diaper types.

The waxalene made it worse.  I put waxalene on and a little under 3 hours later, when he was changed, it was even brighter red and screamed when being touched.  He also screamed at the next change but hasn't since so I've been afraid to try waxalene again.
  • I'm dealing with something very similar. My LO's rash is mainly on his groin area, not too much on his bottom at all. I thought it was ammonia burn because our diapers started smelling funny. So I switched from Nellys to Tide and am just finishing hot water stripping everything. I was at the ped yesterday for something unrelated and he didn't seemed too concerned with it. Just said to do some naked time to let air get to it, so we are going to try that a couple times a day.
  • TJ1979TJ1979 member
    More like the 1 line. I wash 24 diapers at a time and have hard water, and use to the 1 line. Maybe your problem is detergent buildup if you are using "normal" amounts of detergent. I would do 3 cycles of hot water only, no detergent, and watch for bubbles.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • I was using 1 TBSP of Nellies.  I never saw any bubbles but I don't think you see it with that soap anyway.  I do prewash, hot wash, rinse, extra rinse all with the water plus option.  There's no smell out of the wash, out of the dryer or after he pees in most diapers.  There is a light smell in the night time diaper which is very wet after 12 hours.  I'm doing a few hot washes and then washing with 1 line of tide.

We've ementioned it to the pedi at earlier appointments and they also said no big deal, totally normal.  But then with it being darker and obviously bothering him after the waxalene, I got worried!
  • Update: At today's doctor's appointment, the doctor said "it could be a little bit of yeast, but it doesn't look like classic yeast" and prescribed yeast cream to use when it flairs up and said use aquaphor otherwise.  I'm going to wait and see what happens when the grandma el's comes but until then I'm not sure if I should be bleaching or using disposables :(
  • I wonder about the Waxelene making it worse. It only has a few ingredients. Could your LO be sensitive or allergic to any of them? 

Soy oil is there, but my understanding is that the protein that people tend to be sensitive to is separated out in processing. Beeswax allergy is not unheard of. Not sure how the Vit E oil is sourced. Rosemary is there in a tiny quantity.
  • Thanks for all of the suggestions.  Today the rash is almost gone.  The only thing we changed was detergents but he wore diapers that weren't in that load.  It seems to be something that comes and goes for him.  So frustrating.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"