May 2014 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding check in

How's breastfeeding going this week?

How old is LO ? How long between feedings?

EBF, EP, supplementing?

What challenges have you had this week, what solutions did you find ?

Raves and rants?

Anything else you want to share?

Re: Breastfeeding check in

• Options
    Great. I think we've made it to the breastfeeding is easy stage!

How old is LO ? How long between feedings? Almost 3w old, goes 2 hours or so from start to start.

EBF, EP, supplementing? EBF

What challenges have you had this week, what solutions did you find ? DD1 is having a super hard time with me nursing DD2. She wants my constant attention. So now we all snuggle in the bed together during nursing sessions and i let DD1 watch TV. Yikes, the kiddo has watched more TV in the last 2w than in her entire life!

Raves and rants? Well, running around the playground chasing DD1 while nursing DD2 with one hand was interesting! I hope DD2 settles in a pattern soon so I can have an idea when to expect cluster feeding sessions.

• Options
    Exhausting! Around the clock!

LO is 1 week and feedings are not on any schedule yet, sometimes hourly or every 2-3 hrs

Big challenge has been constant cluster feeding at night. I also have a 2 yo so I can't always nap during the day.

Raves and rants?
    We had our 1st dr apt today and LO has already passed his birthweight!

Anything else you want to share? 2nd time mom, know what to expect with BFing and still wanted to give up this week.
    Baby #2 is on the way!!
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby #1!
    Charles Edward 4/13/12 
    9 lbs 2 oz 22 & 3/4 inches
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How's breastfeeding going this week? It's going ok, my right nipple hurts so I need to work on her latch on that side.

How old is LO ? How long between feedings? She's a little over a week old going 2-3 hours between feedings.
    What challenges have you had this week, what solutions did you find ?Just my right nipple pain. Using lanolin, and trying to correct her latch.
    Raves and rants?Nothing right now.
    Anything else you want to share? Nope.

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    4 weeks, still mostly 2-3 hours with some cluster feeding between 6-10 in the evening. Sometimes he takes a long morning nap now and goes 4 hours.

What challenges have you had this week, what solutions did you find ? Still struggling with a shallow latch on the right side, but it's getting better. Just trying to be consistent about taking him off and trying to latch again when he gets lazy.

Raves and rants?
    Nothing really. Just hoping to start getting some longer stretches at night soon.

Mommy to three beautiful boys! 
    Benjamin Michael 5/17/10
    Lucas Gabriel 3/26/12
    Graham Jonathan 5/1/14

• Options
    ns1ns1 member
    How old? 3 days

How long between feedings? There is no between! Ok...occasionally a couple hours.

EBF

Challenges and solutions? Got to hear the conflicting bf'ing knowledge from a million nurses at the hospital. DS didn't want to eat at all for almost 12 hours of day 2, which scared me until one nurse told me it was probably because of his circumcision. Must've been right because know he's doing pretty well know and picked up that night.

Raves and rants: I'm engorged. Blech! But my milk came in pretty early so I don't have to wait around for that.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It's going well. We seem to have resolved the shallow latch issue so I'm in a lot less pain!

How old is LO ? 
    2 weeks old yesterday

How long between feedings? 
    Usually about three hours. During the day she would go longer if I let her. At night she's up on her own around 2.5-3 hours. 

EBF, EP, supplementing?
    EBF

She was very gassy so we started with some gas drops and they seemed to make a big difference last night. 

Raves and rants? 
    I wish she slept as soundly during the night as she does during the day!
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    lica001 said:

How's breastfeeding going this week? Better.

One month. Getting two hours during the day and up to five hours at night.
    EBF, EP, supplementing?
    BF/some pumping so he knows how to take a bottle
    One of my nipples is really inverted and nursing on that side still hurts SO much. After a month it's starting to wear on me and get me down.
    Raves and rants?
    I love nursing him but its less fun with my toddler around and all over me. It doesn't feel peaceful the way it did with my older son. I miss that.
    Anything else you want to share? Hope everyone else is hanging in there - I know BF is best for our family but there are moments I just want to buy some formula and say "fuck it!" It's been so much harder the second time around, which I was NOT prepared for.

Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS - 2 years old
  • Options
    It's painful, hopefully I toughen up. He has a good latch so I think we just need to keep pushing through.

How old is LO ? How long between feedings? 3 days, about every 3 hours since we got home yesterday. Hopefully we'll stick to this schedule more or less :)

EBF, EP, supplementing? EBF and supplementing, getting my pump today

What challenges have you had this week, what solutions did you find ? He loves having anything in his mouth so we "gave in" and let him have a paci- best decision ever, my nipples are thankful. We also let him have a little formula at each feeding, this was also a great decision so far- he's full and happy, but still nurses from me for at least 15 mins each feeding.

Raves and rants? I'm super happy with how things are going so far, I'm a FTM, so I don't know what's really right or wrong, but it's working for all of us right now and that's all I really care about.

Anything else you want to share? No one should feel guilty about doing what works for them. Also I discovered that wiping away the nipple cream before each feeding has made a huge difference.

• Options
    How's breastfeeding going this week? It was rough Mon and Tues because he was going through a growth spurt and wanted to eat all the time.

How old is LO ? How long between feedings? 3 weeks.  It varies from 2-4.  One night he went 5 and it was amazing!

What challenges have you had this week, what solutions did you find ? The growth spurt was hard, but I just had to ride it out and it got better.

Raves and rants? Overall things are going fairly well

• Options
    lica001 said:

How's breastfeeding going this week? Had some cluster feeding in Tuesday and Wednesday and I wanted to give up breastfeeding. Yesterday was better because she slept for 2-3 hours between feedings so I think she was having a growth spurt.

Almost 3 weeks. During the day about 2 hours. Last night it was every hour and then finally at 5:30 am she slept for 2.5 hours. Last night was brutal.
    EBF, EP, supplementing?
    EBF
    The cluster feeding was/is incredibly difficult. It is exhausting and somewhat frustrating because it is all on me. Like others have said I just had to ride it out and get through it, but it was really hard.
    Raves and rants?
    I am so tired! The sleep deprivation is certainly getting to me. My DH works and since we aren't giving a bottle yet there is very little that he can do to help. We are introducing a bottle this weekend so I will be pumping. Hoping this helps a little.
    Anything else you want to share? Did anyone find that introducing a bottle helped? My hope is that DH will then be able to share in the experience and take at least one feeding off my hands.

• Options
    It's going well. I'm no longer engorged, but I still have a lot of milk. 

LO is 1 week, 6 days. He typically goes about 2-2.5 hours between feedings. Sometimes longer when he naps in the morning. At night he was doing 3 hrs, which was great. But yesterday afternoon and last night he wanted to cluster feed. I'm assuming this means he's going through a growth spurt.

EBF, EP, supplementing? 
    EBF

Same as PPs, my right nipple has been sore and started to crack. I've been using lanolin and working on his latch and that seems to have helped. But DS has a pretty powerful latch and is an aggressive sucker so breaking his latch to start over when it's not working can be just as painful.

Raves and rants?
    DS has surpassed his birth weight!

As a FTM I was skeptical about how I would feel breastfeeding, but I honestly love it. It's a pretty awesome thing I'm able do. 
  • Options
    lrmrtnlrmrtn member
    How is breastfeeding going this week?
    It's going well but exhausting. I feel like a cow.

Age/length between feedings - 2 weeks/ 2-3 hours

EBF, EP, supplementing - all of the above

Challenges - had our 2 week appt yesterday and DS isn't gaining enough weight. He's eating fine but the doctor said to keep feeding him more to see if he'll eat more. We have another weight check on Monday.

Raves/rants -
    rant - we've been following the doctor's advice but it just seems to make him throw up. I tried nursing him for longer instead of adding formula which seems to work but I nursed him for over an hour.

Rave- DS is nursing half the time without the nipple shield.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    haylo33haylo33 member
    Great except DS went through a growth spurt and if he wasn't eating he wasn't happy

He is 2 weeks today. We go every 1-2 hours during the day and every 2-3 at night

EBF, EP, supplementing? I mostly EBF but I give a bottle of formula every night so I can pump to start saving some for when I go back to work.

What challenges have you had this week, what solutions did you find ? Baby went through a growth spurt which was hard. I just fed on demand and we got through it. He is much happier and more content

Raves and rants? None really. Looking forward to bigger stretches

Nope, just glad I stuck with it!
  • Options
    MimalooMimaloo member
    lica001 said:
    How's breastfeeding going this week? Great!

How old is LO ? How long between feedings? DD is one month old today and during the day goes anywhere from 2-4 hours between feedings. At night she is every four hours on the dot. 

What challenges have you had this week, what solutions did you find ? No BF challenges. 

Raves and rants? We introduced a bottle of pumped milk this week and she took it without any issues. So now she gets one bottle a night from DH. It's nice to see them bonding :)

Anything else you want to share? DH is on an interview for a huge position right now which would involve us relocating. It's so scary but so exciting at the same time. 

• Options
    It was going. Past two days I've had a fussy pants who wants to nurse or be held. Ah growth spurts.

LO is 3 weeks and a day. He lasts about 2-4 hours depending. It's usually 2.

EBF, EP, supplementing?
    EBF.

Sore nipples. Im guessing a sloppy latch. DS hates lanolin so I'm trying coconut oil.

Raves and rants?
    None really at this time. Just meh.

Gripe water became our best friend.
  • Options
    @lissiehoya I know you are dealing with cracked nips, which i have had before and they suuuuck, but wanted to make sure that you knew that nursing the baby is actually your best bet at relieving the clogged ducts. Get him to latch and massage the crap out of the clog. If that doesnt work, have him latch with his chin aimed at the clog. Might look funny depending on where the clog is, but it is better than duct pain or mastitis.

If you feel flu like, get yourself to a doctor. Mastitis often is à result of clogged ducts and can go from mild to bad quickly.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options
    @lizziehoya just realized you are nursing again, not pumping. Oops.

Another thought: Your duct issues are likely tied to the cracked nips. The pathway for the milk to drain might be where the crack is. At least that is what happened to me when I had that 1-2 punch with DS. In our case, fixing his sloppy latch resolved the issue. Things still had to heal up, but that helped us turn the corner.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options
    How's breastfeeding going this week? Pretty well, all things considered.

How old is LO ? How long between feedings? DD is 1 month old today. She goes 2-3 hours during the day, every hour at least in the evenings, and 3-4 hours at night.

EBF, EP, supplementing? Breastfeeding with occasional bottles of pumped BM.

What challenges have you had this week, what solutions did you find ? This week I've had shooting pain in my breasts/nipples and some burning in my nipples. It is not associated with feeding. Told LO's pediatrician and she prescribed nystatin cream for my nipples in case we were developing thrush, but she did not see any signs of thrush on LO. Hopefully it helps.

Raves and rants? Rant-- had a few tough days/nights with hourly feeding where I thought she would never stop feeding. It was so nice after a night of nonstop feeding to be able to tell DH that there was BM in the fridge, and I needed to get some sleep. I slept 3.5 hours after being up every hour feeding, and came back downstairs to find him feeding her a bottle, and everyone was much happier. For those of you waiting to be able to pump and give a bottle, hang in there-- it makes a huge difference when anyone else can feed and help you out!

Anything else you want to share? We made it one month!  I'm very excited about that.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    HallilHallil member
    It's going fairly well, we still have a shallow latch on one side but it's my super overproducing side that tries to drown her so she doesn't like it. And at night I'm usually too sleepy to pull her off and fix it if she does latch on so then I get soreness for the day. She's gaining huge amounts though so I know she's getting plenty!

How old is LO ? How long between feedings? 9 days old, when she's up it's every half hour to hour then she sleeps for 2-3 hour stretches.

EBF, EP, supplementing? EBF but I will likely start pumping in a bit here. I don't mind an over supply and donated last time so I may do that again.

What challenges have you had this week, what solutions did you find ? Hmmm...lefty trying to drown my baby! I might just start feeding her on my right only and pumping the left until she can keep up to it.

Raves and rants? Raves-she's one of the fastest gaining EBF babies my midwife has ever seen in all her years. Rants-I am leaking an absurd amount this time around. I can leak through 3 cloth pads, a padded bra, and a padded nursing tank no problem at feeding time.

Keep up the good work Mamas!!
  • Options
    Going pretty well. She's eating like a champ.

How old is LO ? How long between feedings? She is 12 days old. I take her cues. Anywhere from 1 hour to 5 hours. Her doc said she was gaining weight just fine and not to wake her if she's sleeping. Last night she slept from 3:30 to 8:45. Woohoo!

EBF, EP, supplementing? EBF but on Monday when she is 2 weeks old, I'm going to try pumping so DH can feed her and to start a stash.

What challenges have you had this week, what solutions did you find ? She threw up 2x yesterday. I don't know if it was anything I ate or if she was being a glutten. She fed for almost 30 min when she normally does 10-15 min. I'm also having issues with her burping. She will burp maybe 1 out of every 5 feeds. Solutions were feeding her less time on each boob to make sure she could keep the milk down. My mom is also visiting and is a nurse so it was comforting to have her here.

Raves and rants? Raves: incredibly thankful that BF has been so easy for both of us. Rant: I don't feel this "bonding time" when I'm feeding her. I'm also terrified to try pumping on Monday.

Anything else you want to share? DH goes back to work on Tuesday. Getting nervous about being alone with her.

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image

• Options

Almost gave up earlier this week. Henry was tongue tied and we didn't have good latches. Some feeds were ok but some were crying agony. He also didn't feed efficiently so it would take forever. We were supplementing with for formula due to too much weight loss so I would only give him 15 min per side before giving a bottle.

He is 10 days old, about 3 hours between during the day with one 5 hour stretch at night. He is a couple oz from birth weight thanks to the supplementation so we got the go ahead from the LC to let him cue us at night.

EBF, EP, supplementing?

Supplementing, usually just night now.

Saw an LC, had his tongue tie fixed, and started pumping to get my supply up and to give myself a break when necessary.

Raves and rants?

rave: most feedings are not painful now. oh and i need to eat 2500 calories a day! yes sir.

rant: SO time consuming. my life revolves around feeding, pumping, sterilizing, and nipple care. wash rinse repeat! also, i don't love nursing like i thought i would. it's boring. all i really want is for him to have my milk, don't care how he gets it. i might switch to pumping in a bit.

i knew it would be hard but didn't realize how EMOTIONALLY hard it was. when i wanted to send hubby out for formula i'd think of my milk drying up and immediately burst into tears. it's primal or something.

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"