September 2014 Moms

Re: FDA updating seafood guidelines for pregnant women...

• Options
    The updated guidelines aren't in this article, but the current ones put out in 2010 are...
    "The government's 2010 Dietary Guidelines incorporated FDA's warnings to say that pregnant or breastfeeding women should consume 8 to 12 ounces of a variety of seafood per week. But it said they should not eat tilefish, shark, swordfish and king mackerel because of the mercury content and it advised limiting white albacore tuna to six ounces a week."

This is mostly about the labeling of food. I'm on the fence about labeling seafood products' mercury content, but I think the person that said this, "We can't ask consumers to memorize two different lists of fish." is ridiculous. It's not that hard for me to remember to eat the cheap chunk tuna while pregnant and to choose salmon sushi over swordfish.

The bottom of the article gets into FDA's interest in highly caffeinated drinks and the controversy of GM labeling. I agree with the FDA's commisioner's statement, ""considerable amount of scientific study" does not suggest the kinds of public health concerns that some consumers have worried about."

Thanks for sharing the article. I'll keep my eyes open for the new guidelines, though I think the current ones are fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"