Cloth Diapering

Which Pre-Folds?

I'm going to try my hand at cloth diapering my newborn. I'm not sure which prefolds to get though? I hear a lot about GMD and Indian Prefolds? I'm also a little confused.....let's say when she is older I do the BG 4.0 diapers. They are OS so what size prefolds do I buy? I've just really looked at GMD and there are all different sized prefolds. Right now I have a half dozen fitted workhorses, a couple aios and a couple of covers. Someone suggested filling the rest of my stash with some prefolds to use with the covers too, which is a great idea. Just need help choosing!
forumsignature

Re: Which Pre-Folds?

• If you want prefolds just to last until the 4.0 will fit you want newborn/orange edge and maybe some size small/yellow edge. Are your workhorses orange edge?
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • CLLDLLCLLDLL member
    G started fitting 4.0s really well at 12 pounds, they worked Ok between 10 and 11 pounds. So I agree with Rrrrrrachel, NB and small.

Your question confused me a bit, so just in case you are asking what size to get so you can stuff 4.0s with: NB prefolds fit 4.0s on the smallest rise, yellows on the middle rise, and reds at the largest rise. I actually really like stuffing pockets with GMD flats too. Oh and 4.0s new do come with microfiber (MF) inserts, which work ok for most people. MF does get stinky easier than natural fibers and tends to cause compression leaks which is why you see people replacing the stock inserts with prefolds or flats.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • I got Osocozy prefolds in small size (purple edging) with NB covers. I also use pockets/AIO/AI2s, so I only got 12 prefolds.

• Even if you're doing BG 4.0s when LO fits into OS dipes, you'll never regret having a few dozen newborn and small prefolds.  DD was in her size newborn (orange edge GMDs) until 9 weeks (with a cover), and then I used them to stuff her BG's when the microfiber inserts weren't absorbent enough (snapped to the smallest rise).  Then she was in the smalls (yellow edge GMDs) until she was 9 months old (with a cover).  Now I use those to stuff her BG's snapped to the middle rise (and she's 18 months old tomorrow).  Talk about a good investment!

Buy the prefolds!
  • What...no flats?
  • Even if you're doing BG 4.0s when LO fits into OS dipes, you'll never regret having a few dozen newborn and small prefolds.  DD was in her size newborn (orange edge GMDs) until 9 weeks (with a cover), and then I used them to stuff her BG's when the microfiber inserts weren't absorbent enough (snapped to the smallest rise).  Then she was in the smalls (yellow edge GMDs) until she was 9 months old (with a cover).  Now I use those to stuff her BG's snapped to the middle rise (and she's 18 months old tomorrow).  Talk about a good investment!

Buy the prefolds!
    @kjsmith9‌, can I ask why you used prefolds until 9mos? Like the OP, I'm thinking of using the GMD until we fit into BG 4.0. Total noob, and I haven't bought a single diaper-related anything yet. I never thought of stuffing them with prefolds- is it really that much better? How many orange-edges did you have, vs. how many yellow?
    We used prefolds until 8-9 months.  They're cheaper and easier to take care of than pockets.

Also, if you get GMD prefolds, if you end up not liking them or whatever, they have excellent resale value.  Plus, they are just great to have for all other kinds of purposes.  We used ours as burp cloths, I use one under the butt during diaper changes when out.

P.S. We don't actually like stuffing pockets with prefolds.  DH thinks they are harder to clean a poopy diaper (not true) and they are bulkier than MF inserts.  We're in the extreme minority though :)
                                                                                              BFP #1 3/2/12, T born 11/7/12
                                                                                                 BFP #2  7/2/14, CP 7/6/14
                                 BFP #3 8/28/14, MMC 10/2/14 @ 9wks - misoprostol 10/6/14, D&C 11/3/14 for retained tissue
                                       BFP #4 12/25/14, EDD 9/7/15 - please stick baby, you are so loved and wanted!!!!!                                                                                           

image  image                                                                      

Buy the prefolds!
    @kjsmith9‌, can I ask why you used prefolds until 9mos? Like the OP, I'm thinking of using the GMD until we fit into BG 4.0. Total noob, and I haven't bought a single diaper-related anything yet. I never thought of stuffing them with prefolds- is it really that much better? How many orange-edges did you have, vs. how many yellow?

We still use prefolds now at 18 months!  DH and I both think they're less work and soak up the most pee.  I hate stuffing pockets - we only have them for daycare.  Prefolds absorb more than microfiber - she was having leaks at daycare but when we started stuffing with prefolds, no more leaks.  We had 24 of each size.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"